Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had problems with my mach 460 and all i get is very quiet static music playing when volume turned up all the way, previous owner messed with the stock wiring and i cant figure it out :(

How can i still use most of the factory speakers with an aftermarket radio and have good sound? I might get subs and amp too

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Im about to get rid of my Mach system too. I get a weird buzzing sound whenever mines turned on and occasionally stops and think I blew a speaker to anyway.

Id just upgrade the whole setup, its getting old and might as well just get it out of the way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im about to get rid of my Mach system too. I get a weird buzzing sound whenever mines turned on and occasionally stops and think I blew a speaker to anyway.

Id just upgrade the whole setup, its getting old and might as well just get it out of the way.
Like how? Im new to replacing speakers and all that stuff

·
Banned
495 Posts
I have a mach 460 in my car, I changed the head unit... what is wrong with the wiring. is it still hooked up to the shock wire harness for the mach 460 head unit...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have a mach 460 in my car, I changed the head unit... what is wrong with the wiring. is it still hooked up to the shock wire harness for the mach 460 head unit...
In the trunk, he cut 2 wires that are in the middle of the two rear amps, i believe its a green/black wire and yellow/black. i respliced the wires and it didnt solve anything

·
Banned
495 Posts
if you want to delete it completely ypu will have to run speaker wires from the speakers all the way to the new head unit wire harness. also a ground wire and a power wire to the battery.. the stock wire harness in the car uses all that so if you still have access to the wires you can just connect them... but if your running new speakers you wont be able to use the vehicles wire harness and will need to run your own speaker wires... same with if you have a sub and amp.. run the remote wire to the deck and the power wire to the battery... need some more info on what exactly you want to do

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The 460 system runs on 3 ohms. Aftermarket stuff won't sync up with it like you'd want. The reason is, they dont make aftermarket 3 ohm anything, and its not compatable with 1, 2, or 4 ohm speakers. It will work fot a little bit, but eventually the stock speakers will blow. If your gonna get rid of the 460, do it right and replace everything.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i dont have money to literally replace everything, anyone know how i can fix the mach 460? would buying a new mach 460 harness fix it?

·
Banned
495 Posts
first you need to figure out whats wrong... does your radio play at all... do you have stock head unit... if he cut the wires and replaced the head unit maybe he just didn't want to use the amps... take the head unit out of the dash and take a look at the wire harness and see if everything is still connected. if he cut the amp wires and you connected them together and its still not working maybe they aren't connected to the new head unit

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first you need to figure out whats wrong... does your radio play at all... do you have stock head unit... if he cut the wires and replaced the head unit maybe he just didn't want to use the amps... take the head unit out of the dash and take a look at the wire harness and see if everything is still connected. if he cut the amp wires and you connected them together and its still not working maybe they aren't connected to the new head unit
Yes radio plays but only when volume is all the way up can u hear it. Very static. Harness is fine from behind the radio. It's not factory radio. It's the same exact thing but it's out of a Lincoln. I'll upload a pic soon

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had same problem of static and when id turn it up thered be an ugly wasp like buzz.and I knew nothing about systems but I removed the shifter bezzel and all and rewired all the wires together to there partners anf it worked a bit. Then I got tired of the old ugly aftermarket stereo I had bought a new one with a mach 460 wire adapter on amazon and just connected the wire colors together plugged it in and WALAHH! It fixed everything that was wrong. I guess it was just the headunit was old or burnt or messed up

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have an aftermarket head unit you could try. walmart sells a wire harness to go between your stock one and new one
Sadly I don't, the car came with no radio and I had to buy a used factory one out of a Lincoln. What year is ur stang? Could u take a pic of some wiring for me?

·
Banned
495 Posts
I have a 200 had the dual din in my car, it gave me such a head ache when I switched to my single din dvd player that I should have took pics for others...
on the back of your head unit you will have three connections... the black plug that has the speaker wire is all you will need, the others are grounds.... buy a wire harness from walmart and a new head unit and twist color for color together from your new head unit wire harness to the walmart one... once you do that, you will have a black one left,,, just take one of the ground wires you disconnected from the old head unit and twist those wires together... now take that walmart wire harness and plug it into your cars... so should go your cars harness, to the walmart one to the new decks wire harness to your new deck.. should then work.. haha hope that makes sense to you... any questions just ask

·
Banned
495 Posts
your going to need to find this harness... I live in Canada so I got mine at Canadian tire, pretty sure walmart has the same ones... this is it tho.. then just cut the green and white plugs off.. as they are not needed... tape up the wires... splice your new harness to this one color for color... then take one of those silver tipped square plugs u see inside ur dash and plug it into that black plug on this harness.. its for the amps I think...
E2 Car Stereo Wiring Connector for 1994 and up Ford Vehicles | Canadian Tire

·
Banned
495 Posts
these are all you will be using... so buy the harness.. splice it with your new deck harness then clip it to those and your done ... oh and the orange thick one is your antenna so plug that into your deck.

Attachments

·
Banned
495 Posts
sorry for so many msgs but if you follow those instructions and it does not turn on then check your fuse located under the hood in that fuse box. actually disconnect your battery while you do all this to avoid that issue

1 - 20 of 25 Posts