Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm planning on purchasing this wheel/tire package off of ebay for my '98 V6 (red). tell me if you think this would be the way to go, or feel free to give some suggestions. :drive:

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
I'm also attempting to talk to these people about rims/tires. They take forever to answer questions if ever is my big complaint. And those tires, 245's on a 17x9 rim is way too narrow. I'd got with at least a 265, maybe a 275 to fill the rim. Otherwise you'll be prone to curb rash on the rim. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not too familiar with tire sizes, so i didn't even realize that those were narrow. would it be better to get the rims and get wider tires separately then?

·
Premium Member
19,784 Posts
It all depends...tires are expensive.. you could run with those tires, I just personally wouldn't. I'm talking to them trying to get a set of rims I can't find anywhere else and they aren't just the most helpful ppl lol. But they're the only ones carrying my wheels

·
I liek gramer
8,246 Posts
I am running 245s on my 17x9s (stfu)

they are narrow, but it's not too narrow. Next time I buy tires, they will probably be bigger, but you can run 245s on a 17x9. You WILL have curb rash if you get near a curb. So be extremely careful with them if you run 245s. I don't have any yet (knocks on wood)

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
A study done by some really important and legal people took place: 10 people were surveyed every day for 20 years. 9 out of 10 people alwasy recommended 275/40/17 tires over 245/45/17 tires after they have had the experience of running 245/45/17s on their 17 by 9 times.

The one that disagreed was obviously in denial or just retarded.

This is all.

you can quote me, the study was in ladies home journal and published March of 98.

·
Registered
349 Posts
For best handling tire width should be the same as rim width, plus or minus one inch.

Kumho lists the 245/45-17 as being 9.6" wide.

They don't show a 275/40-17 in the estca 711 model, but for other Kumho models they show the width to be 10.4". A little bit fatter than optimal, but probably acceptable, especially with the shorter sidewall, well shorter than say a 60 aspect ratio tire anyway. Which is what I am used to running.

One thing to remember is that fatter tires tend to handle worse in snow and rain.

Steve

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
do NOT buy a kumo tire... they suck, for just a LITTLE more you can buy some yokahoma avs es100 tire which kicks a kumos butt every way you mesure from looks to performance.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
100% agree that Khumos are garbage tires. Ive gotten nuttin but flats, bad traction on and off the track. And that was just on my V6

Never again will I buy Khumos :disgust:

·
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
7,154 Posts
A neighbor of mine is buying 17x9s for his stang and I am trying to talk him out of the 245s. He won't listen. I had 275s on my GT when I had 17x9 steeda rims...and I have 275s on my current car with 17x9s. granted, I had Nittos on the GT which do run narrower than other brands, but, I still say go for 275s. In a couple weeks I expect to have 315s on there, at least in the back...then maybe, just maybe, I can get a little bit of traction...

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
let him be stupid and when he curbs a rim tell him to cry you a river that you warned him... but he was to stupid to listen.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
kuhmo = :bad: I just bought a set of 275/40s for my rear rims, all i have to say is wet traction sucks!!! dry isn't too bad either. but they look cool :good:
Ill have to try those yokos next time

·
I liek gramer
8,246 Posts
i've had my wheels since summer, and no curbage. If he is INTELLIGENT and knows not to run into a curb, he won't have a problem. :cool:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
i've had my wheels since summer, and no curbage. If he is INTELLIGENT and knows not to run into a curb, he won't have a problem. :cool:
do u let anybody else drive your car at all? i bet not, any normal person will curb those rims so fast with such a narrow tire.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My kumhos are just fine, they are a street tire only anyway. I put on the bfg's when I go to the track. They are a decent tire for the money.

·
I liek gramer
8,246 Posts
232stang said:
do u let anybody else drive your car at all? i bet not, any normal person will curb those rims so fast with such a narrow tire.
Hell no! i wouldn't let anybody ('cept maybe the parents) drive mine, even if I was running 315s on my 9s. :cool:

yeah, i know you can't do that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts