Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 15 EcoBoost mustang and I want to tune it in the future. I want to know what tuner you guys recommend. I have an 05 4.0 mustang and it's currently tuned with a 91 octane racing tune by bama, and it work great. All of your feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time!

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you are just looking to install a tune and not mod past that it's hard to beat the Ford Performance tune. If you shop around you can get it for about $500 and it comes with a CAI which makes it a bargain. If you still have a significant number of miles before reaching the end of your 3/36 warranty it does come with a warranty for that period.

If you are going to do a lot of modding there are 100s of tuners to chose from. FWIW, Bama seems to get the most bad press.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
17,833 Posts
You couldn't pay me to run a bama "tune" ESPECIALLY on an ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Do NOT go with a Bama tune for your EcoBoost....search on here and Google and see the problems folks have with them.
If your current Bama tune has been working fine for you, you are one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Your profile shows you are in CA. Do you have emissions testing? Just curious that a tune could affect?
I don't have a tune, but read good things about MPT and Unleashed. Both are in Florida.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Your profile shows you are in CA. Do you have emissions testing? Just curious that a tune could affect?
I don't have a tune, but read good things about MPT and Unleashed. Both are in Florida.
Other than the Ford Performance, Montune and Roush tunes that have a CARB certification they are all technically illegal in the US.

Most emissions testing these days is just plugging into the OBD port and look for codes and status monitors.

I had an Unleashed tune on my 15 Ecoboost Mustang and all the status monitors would not set so it would fail the emissions test. I had to swap back to the stock tune at inspection time. There have been enough threads that this issue with status monitors is not not just an Unleashed thing but some tuners seem to deal with it better than others

Dave

·
Super Moderator
17,833 Posts
Apparently there are a few places in CA where you don't have such strict rules? I dunno Soccer would know tho. Either way just flash it back to stock for emissions day... it isn't like you can really do anything for "bolt on" power anyway. Intercooler, exhaust and tune and then start working on suspension. Get an exhaust that is legal in CA, the intercooler should not cause any problems and a tune can be flashed back to stock for emissions days. No issues.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
There are a few very sparsely populated counties, and certain zip codes, in California that do not require biennial emissions testing.
Wow, learn something new every day.:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts