Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been particularly fond of the way 01 through 09 mustangs tail lights illuminate, so I've always looked at ways to improve them. On my old mustang this meant a sequential tail light kit, as well as led bulbs. This was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan of how the sequencing still happened when I was only pressing on the brakes, as this kinda seemed unsafe, as it's not an instant-on when braking. So with this mustang, I want to do something more drastic and unique that will still be functional and safe. Essentially what I want to do is completely re-wire the lights. The inside light (of the 3 in each housing) would be on at full brightness at night when the headlights are on, and the outside two would be completely off until the brake or turn signal is engaged. During the day, all 3 would illuminate at full brightness when the brakes or signals are engaged. I've drawn out two basic wiring diagrams to show how (I think) I'd go about setting it up. I drew it with dual-filament bulbs for simplicity, but I'll be using led bulbs. So my questions for you all are:
1)will this even work?! Obviously an important question as I may have something wrong with my setup, or there may be something with mustang wiring I don't know about
2)am I going to fry anything with this setup? Power is being redistributed, so should I worry about blowing fuses?
The diagrams are drawn for the left light housing. Sorry about my terrible handwriting :)
Any suggestions welcomed!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
I've never been particularly fond of the way 01 through 09 mustangs tail lights illuminate, so I've always looked at ways to improve them. On my old mustang this meant a sequential tail light kit, as well as led bulbs. This was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan of how the sequencing still happened when I was only pressing on the brakes, as this kinda seemed unsafe, as it's not an instant-on when braking. So with this mustang, I want to do something more drastic and unique that will still be functional and safe. Essentially what I want to do is completely re-wire the lights. The inside light (of the 3 in each housing) would be on at full brightness at night when the headlights are on, and the outside two would be completely off until the brake or turn signal is engaged. During the day, all 3 would illuminate at full brightness when the brakes or signals are engaged. I've drawn out two basic wiring diagrams to show how (I think) I'd go about setting it up. I drew it with dual-filament bulbs for simplicity, but I'll be using led bulbs. So my questions for you all are:
1)will this even work?! Obviously an important question as I may have something wrong with my setup, or there may be something with mustang wiring I don't know about
2)am I going to fry anything with this setup? Power is being redistributed, so should I worry about blowing fuses?
The diagrams are drawn for the left light housing. Sorry about my terrible handwriting :)
Any suggestions welcomed!
Wow I have no clue.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Well if you want to put three lights in you just have to wire them in a series so that all the lights will come on at once i think you will be fine with the fuses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In series? I'm not sure what you mean. It's just changing which light up when?

·
Registered
208 Posts
travisb.young66 said:
A series is just using the same wire to run one thing. You just have to tap into the tail/turnsignal light wire and run that wire to two other lights.
That picture is parallel

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Op, your schematic looks spot on to me, good job. Had to look at it again.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

lx92coupe said:
That picture is parallel
Travis's is in series, the airman's drawing is parallel .

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Is it really that dimmer? I jut got a new wiring harness for my car an they had me wire my lights in a series the dont look dimmer to me

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
travisb.young66 said:
Is it really that dimmer? I jut got a new wiring harness for my car an they had me wire my lights in a series the dont look dimmer to me
I bet they didn't.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its true, the series may have the lights slightly dimmer. But its probably not noticable. Also, in the series if one light goes out all will go out. Because it breaks the link, much like older christmas lights where one bulb goes out all do. Also the drawing looks good, it should work

·
Registered
681 Posts
As long as they are seperated with each light on its own then it will. Series will work its just they will all go out if one goes out. But yes that looks good!

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

The last pic TC posted is perfect examples of parallel and series.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I don't have the sequential kit on this mustang. I'm contemplating leaving out the wire with the diode. This would make them light up like normal during the day, but still work in the new way at night. All I want to do is make the inside light on at full brightness when only the headlights are on, with the outside two being completely off until the brake or signals are engaged. I should only need to rearrange a few wires, correct?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
AirAndAsphalt said:
No, I don't have the sequential kit on this mustang. I'm contemplating leaving out the wire with the diode. This would make them light up like normal during the day, but still work in the new way at night. All I want to do is make the inside light on at full brightness when only the headlights are on, with the outside two being completely off until the brake or signals are engaged. I should only need to rearrange a few wires, correct?
I think you have it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts