Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '66 Mustang 289 and have been thinking about electronic ignition. I've heard pros and cons. Any opinions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree but also have heard it's not real reliable. People have said they carry a spare set of points and condenser in the glove box just in case.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is true. I can remember a old falcon my dad used to have. He always kept a spare set in the glovebox. Actually had to use them a few times. Electronic ignition is so much more reliable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the electronic ign. Fails, as i've heard it's prone to do you need the piints to put back in to get you home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The distributor is different for electronic. The most common failure is the ignition box and has nothing to do with the distributor.
You can get a complete MSD ignition set which will include the distributor, rotor, coil, ignition control box and universal plug wires. Not sure on the cost though.
For what it's worth, I've never had any part of my MSD system fail.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
mike Franklin said:
Not talking about MSD. Pertronics makes an add on kit.
Would not add on or mod existing set up. Scrap the stone age points for full MSD and don't look back. You will not regret it. You'll only be servicing at normal intervals and have piece of mind.

·
Registered
492 Posts
deadsp0t said:
Would not add on or mod existing set up. Scrap the stone age points for full MSD and don't look back. You will not regret it. You'll only be servicing at normal intervals and have piece of mind.
Totally agree. If you do the add on thing you are going to regret it. The hassle is not worth it. Get a full MSD system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Pertronix breakerless ignitions on my two '65's and have never had a problem with either of them. Very reliable in my experience.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MCPG said:
I have Pertronix breakerless ignitions on my two '65's and have never had a problem with either of them. Very reliable in my experience.
That's what I was asking about. Parts house didn't recommend them. Thanks fir the input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It took me, literally, ten minutes to install the last one and I never have to change points or a condenser again.
The one on my coupe has been on there for about 12 years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put electronic ignition when i out my new motor in, havent had any priblems after 10k miles and friving it everyday.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

And i dont have MSD, i have the add in kit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
TBailey538 said:
I put electronic ignition when i out my new motor in, havent had any priblems after 10k miles and friving it everyday.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

And i dont have MSD, i have the add in kit.
Hey are u from the bay area? Im just asking cuz I see the golden gate in your avatar and I haven't really met anyone from where I live ( bay)
Sorry didn't mean to interrupt the thread!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts