Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those that clean their engines. How do you do it? What components do you cover up (especially electrical)? Do you use a regular hose or a power washer? I'm a bit afraid to use a power washer as I don't want to damage any hoses or seals.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The key is to never let it get that dirty. Every now and then I will take my leaf blower and blow the engine off. this gets rid of the accumulated loose dust and debri. After that I will wipe it down by hand with a damp rag. It doesnt rain much in Texas and I dont drive on dirt roads so that keeps it looking very clean.
A good leaf blower will do a lot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really not so bad, but it's starting to build up.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I tend to spray a 30% simple green solution on a stopped warm (NOT hot) engine then I lightly rinse with spray mist from a hose. I cover my CAI and avoid fuse box/altenator and let it air dry for 1/2 hr b4 starting. As mentioned above do this 1x year it won't get real dirty.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Simple Green and elbow grease. Wipe it down around once a month and you're in good shape.

I like the leaf blower idea. I recently swapped out the intake manifolds and was surprised at the amount of dirt, grit, and bull**** down in there.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Once cleaned up, hit all the plastics and rubber with 303 Aerospace. Just keep up with it on a regular basis and that is about all you will need to do in the future. I also blow in there once in a while with an electric leaf blower.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Once cleaned up, hit all the plastics and rubber with 303 Aerospace. Just keep up with it on a regular basis and that is about all you will need to do in the future. I also blow in there once in a while with an electric leaf blower.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

I need to try that aerospace 303. I keep hearing about its wondrous results.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I need to try that aerospace 303. I keep hearing about its wondrous results.

It's awesome! I use it on the black plastic trim, rubber hoses, tires, leather seats, matte black vinyl stripes, vinyl convertible top, rubber weatherstripping, dashboard, plastic door panels, and pour some over my cereal in the morning!

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
It's awesome! I use it on the black plastic trim, rubber hoses, tires, leather seats, matte black vinyl stripes, rubber weatherstripping, dashboard, plastic door panels, and pour some over my cereal in the morning!

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

Where can it be found? Just auto parts store? I don't know if I've ever seen it in person

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Where can it be found? Just auto parts store? I don't know if I've ever seen it in person

I know they sell it at Cabelas, but not everyone has one in their state. I do have a Cabelas about 20 minutes from me, but I just order mine on eBay.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I know they sell it at Cabelas, but not everyone has one in their state. I do have a Cabelas about 20 minutes from me, but I just order mine on eBay.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

Yeah I was hoping to pick it up before I head up to the American muscle show. I will have to see if I can find it online and see who carries it.

And according to there handy site Napa in my town carries it. Sweet.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I use my pressure washer, works great

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I scored 303 on Amazon....I use it also on my tires...cleans them w/o the shiny black look which I don't like

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you really want that new car/ straight off the dealer lot look, look into a small steam cleaner. Works wonders :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Picked up a bottle of 303 today at O'Reillys. Napa acted like I was from Mars when I asked. Guess the website was wrong. It's not easy to find that stuff. At least local. O'Reillys had one bottle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the info!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Picked up a bottle of 303 today at O'Reillys. Napa acted like I was from Mars when I asked. Guess the website was wrong. It's not easy to find that stuff. At least local. O'Reillys had one bottle.

So? Any opinions? I know you couldn't have not cracked that bottle yet. The curiosity was just eating you up!

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I would do everything by hand and never with running water (i.e. - hose, pressure water, etc...). Just wipe it down and keep it dressed and you'll be good to go! You can also get an extension for the end of your air hose (if you have an air compressor) that will act like an air gun.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Definitely dry clean any modern engine. Every connector is weather pak on a modern car but why chance it? vacuum off the accumulated little sand and stones that like to accumulate atop the engine. Wipe it down with damp towels and a gentle cleanser, if needed and drive on. Modern engines don't leak like the 4.3 V6 in my Chevy G10 Van that weeps from every seal like it's sad not to be a Ford.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts