Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1481007904.445461.jpg
As you can tell by the picture I have a "slight" issue. My car is extremely low and a few weekends ago I put my winter wheels on and they rub the fender liners at full lock , I didn't think anything of it forreal and didn't know the main engine harness was chilling directly behind the liner.
Now the car runs like complete *** cause it tore up a few of the wires.
What are my options and what should I do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I can't see where the wires are damaged in the picture, but if you have sufficient access to the damaged wires, you can solder in a splice to repair them. And then seal up the splice with shrink tubing. Followed by re-wrapping the exposed harness.
Your only other option is to replace the entire wiring harness.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't really tell from the picture but this thing is tore all up.
How much of a pain is it to replace the entire harness ?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I've never replaced that particular harness. I imagine that it will take a fair amount of work to remove and replace it though.
It would probably be easier if you could fix the damaged wires, but replacing the harness is really the correct way to do the job.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You wouldn't want to even imagine how expensive a whole harness would be.

Jack the car up, pull that wheel off and remove the inner fender. Cut the wire look back to where you have plenty of access to the broken wires.

If they still have a lot of the copper strands then you can probably get by with just heat shrinking that section then wrapping in electrical tape. If they are pretty damaged cut them, strip them back and wire in a piece to make up for the broken section.

Soldering would be best, but some good quality heat shrinking butt connectors would be okay.

Be sure to wrap each wire individually with electrical tape and the wrap them all together and add some loom to it after that.

While you have that inner fender out you might want to zip tie those wire looms up tight to the body of the car.

My wires are all tucked in the inner fender so ive got even more wires in mine to worry about. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1481075026.700353.jpg

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Some heat shrink tubing, solder, solder gun, wire stripper, some wire (all available at your local Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store) and about 2 hours of your time. It will be much better and all healed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts