Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.6l 98 engine in my 96 body, and it has a blown head gasket, coolant in the block, oil in the block, and a few more things that are wrong with it. It happened while i was in Basic training like 8 months ago. My cousin screwed it all up and didnt want to fix it so now i need to fix it by the summertime. Should I just go buy a new engine/tranny and from a cobra/Mach 1 and swap it out or try to fix it. Im at my wits end with what i need to do with it, so Please help. Im so tired of things goin wrong with it. I just want to fix it. Should I completely fix the block or what? Please help... Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
if it was me, i would just look for a new engine and do a swap. then murder ur cuzin for touching the stang

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea hes not going to. He's a bum and if it doesnt help him, he won't pay for it

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
So what are you're funds? Can you spend some money? Because swapping a cobra motor might not be cheap

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im in the military.. Make a steady 800 a month so i can get a loan and be fine with that.. Im just askin for suggestions here. I dont know what to do

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would look for a 02-04 motor for your car. Considering u are a 96 stang like me i benefit from pi head swap. I would suggest sticking to the stock motor from 02-04 gts or 99-01 as well all have pi swaps. As well as its a simple take out put in procedure no extra work needed and later u can save up tp do a 4v swap. Just imo

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would look for a 02-04 motor for your car. Considering u are a 96 stang like me i benefit from pi head swap. I would suggest sticking to the stock motor from 02-04 gts or 99-01 as well all have pi swaps. As well as its a simple take out put in procedure no extra work needed and later u can save up tp do a 4v swap. Just imo
Ok so if i got an 02-04 motor, would i have to change the computer to?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ok so if i got an 02-04 motor, would i have to change the computer to?
No ecu change. But if you are already pulling a engine and wanting to swap. Now is the time to do so.

Why pull it twice to get what you want? The GT's ecu will run a 4v just not at full power. GT's harness will work also. Plus only a minor mods to the harness. Read some of the threads on here. Its not complicated as everyone thinks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
im goin on the assumption that he is no where present near the car, that is y i said to go for a stock one at the moment, however as 95v stated if you are home and have the car with you, then yes since your tearing the old one out, now would be the time to do the swap that you choose.

·
Registered
813 Posts
im goin on the assumption that he is no where present near the car, that is y i said to go for a stock one at the moment, however as 95v stated if you are home and have the car with you, then yes since your tearing the old one out, now would be the time to do the swap that you choose.
Wait to fix when you are home. Its not worth the hassle of just fixing to make due. Too much money to just sink in for a temporary fix when your going to swap anyways.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the car. I just need to get it from the diagnostics on base here. Just a quick tow. I just am looking for what i need to do... Make alot of power eventually, but i need a running engine first ya know

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
then i would suggest what everyone else including me would do, swap the motor to a 4v. mark viii motors are everywhere, and you will need the intake manifold, tranny and other things to get it to work. if you plan on goin 4v i would highly and i highly recommend gettin lt headers for it as well so all you have to do is drop the motor in with the headers and get rid of the hassle to deal with the k member later on if u choose not. but deff if you want a running engine just go 4v and look for all the parts u need. there is a sticky on here 32v nomad made from 2v to 4v hes done many of these and he can help you alot. as well as read the sticky so you have ideas as to how long it would take and how much.

·
Registered
813 Posts
then i would suggest what everyone else including me would do, swap the motor to a 4v. mark viii motors are everywhere, and you will need the intake manifold, tranny and other things to get it to work. if you plan on goin 4v i would highly and i highly recommend gettin lt headers for it as well so all you have to do is drop the motor in with the headers and get rid of the hassle to deal with the k member later on if u choose not. but deff if you want a running engine just go 4v and look for all the parts u need. there is a sticky on here 32v nomad made from 2v to 4v hes done many of these and he can help you alot. as well as read the sticky so you have ideas as to how long it would take and how much.
The intake HAS TO BE 96-98 cobra or 97-98 Lincoln mark viii. The older mark engine will work but the intake will not. Its rear mount throttle body intake will not clear the firewall in the 94-98 mustang.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The intake HAS TO BE 96-98 cobra or 97-98 Lincoln mark viii. The older mark engine will work but the intake will not. Its rear mount throttle body intake will not clear the firewall in the 94-98 mustang.
+1

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What if i kinda keep a cap on the money? I know a tranny, engine, and header plus everything else, is gonna cost a bit. That i dont have right now. Or in the near future. Would it be better then to just get a 2v and keep the tranny or just try to fix the one i have now?

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Also what tranny do i have? A 98 V8 in a 96 body

·
Registered
813 Posts
Really? How much for everything i need??

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Rough estimate haha
OK headers are not something you have to have right now. Get harness and all with the engine if you can. The GT's ecu will operate it as I stated before you want the extra harness to extend a few plugs on your old one. The oil pick up and pan you may need. Cobra exhaust manifolds, those run about 150 and up. A cobra intake would be nice but most want big money for them. $600+ actually. They say the 4R70W is stouter than our GT's tranny but I've yet to confirm this.
The swap is more labor intense than anything.price wise is just depending on how much you want new in it. New mounts for the engine will run $50+ and tranny is $25+ (pending what you want. The oil pan from your 2v will work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts