Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light has been on now for 2 weeks. I took it to ford and they can't find anything wrong. They asked me if I use premium gas? I always use 93 octane. They are going to let me know tommorow once they test the gas? It's a solid yellow light and my car is a 16 GT. Anybody have a solution for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
93 octane is not required for your car as you can use 87 as well. So that has nothing to do with nothing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently I have water in my gas tank according to the dealer. He said to run the gas til it's almost empty and put dry gas in it

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm ready to take your car to Auto Zone and have them scan it so we can see what the code is. DRY gas?? I know, some with no water in it. That sounds funny. The problem there is gas and water doesn't mix well. If you have water in your tank, you need to get it out. If you suck that water into your fuel system, that's not going to be good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Get a $15 OBD II bluetooth module that's ELM327 compliant , download some free or cheap OBD II software to your smart phone and pull the codes. Sounds to me like the dealer's giving you a story.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
If the check engine light is on, there is a code. Take it to AutoZone and have them read it or buy yourself a code reader. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for the info. I did read the code and it was the fuel emission system. They tested my gas and it turned out to be higher than normal water content. I guess I won't go to that gas station again. It was a local place that I never used before

·
Registered
551 Posts
I doubt excess moisture in the fuel is the culprit. First fuel and water don't mix so you would have a layer of water in the bottom of the fuel tank, not dispersed within the fuel. Further, I struggle to see what that would have to do with emissions anyway. More likely there's a problem with the evaporative emissions system. Gas cap tight (if it has one) damaged carbon reservoir or vapor lines?

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
Have you fueled up since the light came on? If not, and your car doesn't have a gas cap, there should be a white funnel in your trunk where the spare tire would be. Insert that into your fuel receptacle then remove it in one fluid motion. Since Ford did away with the Mustangs' fuel caps, we've had issues periodically with the CEL coming on after fueling because that flap didn't seat properly.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I doubt excess moisture in the fuel is the culprit. First fuel and water don't mix so you would have a layer of water in the bottom of the fuel tank, not dispersed within the fuel. Further, I struggle to see what that would have to do with emissions anyway. More likely there's a problem with the evaporative emissions system. Gas cap tight (if it has one) damaged carbon reservoir or vapor lines?
It is true that water and gasoline don't mix but ethanol does mix with water AND gasoline. I'm pretty sure that some water could be mixed in with the gasoline/ethanol mix we have in the tank. In fact "dry gas" is the generic term for an ethanol additive you would use to keep fuel lines from freezing from water in the gas. It is also possible that the moisture is contaminating the carbon in the evap system and throwing the code.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I agree with you on the mixture. I ran the tank til almost empty and refilled with new gas and put in the dry gas. It's been a week and light is off and the car is running much better. Thanks everybody for your advice.
Rich

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No buts that's a good idea. I'll stop by there tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It is true that water and gasoline don't mix but ethanol does mix with water AND gasoline. I'm pretty sure that some water could be mixed in with the gasoline/ethanol mix we have in the tank. In fact "dry gas" is the generic term for an ethanol additive you would use to keep fuel lines from freezing from water in the gas. It is also possible that the moisture is contaminating the carbon in the evap system and throwing the code.

What actually happens when water gets into ethanol containing fuel is that the water causes the alcohol to separate from the gasoline and the ethanol then partitions into the water phase. You still don't end up with water dispersed into the fuel. Now you have a water layer at the bottom of the tank with some alcohol in it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's exactly what Ford told me. The light is off for over a week now and it's driving great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts