Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a weird noise from the engine when its cold, I hear it when I let go of the gas just before a shift.
Sounds like a wrist pin type noise or piston slap?

Is this common to mach1's?

Warranty time? only 26000 KM's

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Hmm, I would DEFINATELY take it to get looked at. It's still under warrenty so you've got nothing to lose.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
You aren't hitting redline with the engine cold are you?

The chevies I had always had bad bad cases of piston slap when the engines were cold.. the engines lasted a long time.. that doesn't sound typical of a DOHC 4.6.. or a 4.6 at all for that matter

I'd get it checked out

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
03GreyMach1 said:
Hi all, I have a weird noise from the engine when its cold, I hear it when I let go of the gas just before a shift.
Sounds like a wrist pin type noise or piston slap?

Is this common to mach1's?

Warranty time? only 26000 KM's
Yep its warranty time

One of your pistons is sticking

Trying to find out but its a recall I believe (If its not it should be) Contact KrazyPony on this site.

He owns a 03 Mach 1 and knows about the problem

Def take it to the dealer and get it fixed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No where near it I shift between 2500 - 3000 and don'r drive it hard when cold.

MonteCitan said:
You aren't hitting redline with the engine cold are you?

The chevies I had always had bad bad cases of piston slap when the engines were cold.. the engines lasted a long time.. that doesn't sound typical of a DOHC 4.6.. or a 4.6 at all for that matter

I'd get it checked out

·
Registered
31 Posts
looks like an oil pressure gauge is in your future:eek:: but go get it checked out from the dealer

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Brent said:
Yep its warranty time

One of your pistons is sticking

Trying to find out but its a recall I believe (If its not it should be) Contact KrazyPony on this site.

He owns a 03 Mach 1 and knows about the problem

Def take it to the dealer and get it fixed

I can't find any info on any recalls nor SSMs/TSBS concerning knocking, just engine ticking...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found similar people with this issue. One guy described exactly like I do... bearings rolling in a can.

Turned out he chain tensioners were bad. Replaced them and the noise was gone.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a red 03 Mach1, I have the same problem, engine noisy just before shifting when cold. Just got it back from Auffenberg Ford here in O'Fallon Illinois. Seems they had a Ford Engineer drive it and another yellow 03 Mach they had on their lot. They both had the same noise. Their conclusion "it's normal for that model". I don't buy that, but the Ford Complete care warrenty did, cost to me $100 deductable, and a noisy engine. I really like my Mustang, but this will irritate me every time I drive it now.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Make em fix it man...you've already paid the deductible, they didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plan to take it to another dealer, Lost confidence with this one. I'm sure if they made this kinda noise new, Ford would not have sold so many!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts