1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be pulling the car to a stop.
or
Be pulling up to a light.

As the car slows, it has a slight shudder. The electric, lights, all dim.

Can this be signs of a slipping belt, or a failing/binding alternator?

I have no voltage fluctuation.

It's obviously related to something on the accessory belt as it
doesn't happen at speed.

Kevin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no noticable power steer, but load devices like windows do slow down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When you say you have no voltage fluctuation, do you mean the in-dash voltage meter? The dash instruments aren't known for their accuracy....

Better to measure it with a meter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well lights dim, gauge looks the same.. That's proven..
There is no belt squeal. How would I test the alternator?

·
Registered
301 Posts
check the voltage between +12V and chassis ground. I think a working alternator should be running at +13.5V. May not be right. But alternator needs to run more than 12 to charge battery.

OR

remove the alternator and take it to PepBoys/Autozone or other parts place. They should be able to check it out.

As an aside, to those who know, would it be possible that it is putting out the correct voltage, but isn't putting out enough current?

·
Registered
567 Posts
have autozone or some place similar run a test on your electrical system.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Actually a weak cell in the battery could also be a problem. Like stangin99 said go get the electrical system checked. A weak battery can cause alot of grief.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
yeah check and make sure your battery is full of water too...

·
Registered
68 Posts
ya

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The battery light does not come on at all. Is there a way to test the battery without pulling it from the car? It's COLD outside.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
well you can go to a auto store or walmart and by a hydrometer. It is a plastic tube with a scale and a bulb at the top and you draw up the fluid in each cell and it will tell you if a cell is dead or not. But the best way is to drive up to autozone and act stupid and they will take it out for you and test it. But you live in NJ they might tell you to GO GET SCREWED !!! :shock: :D :D :D ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
does the tach reading stay consistent or smooth? i.e. do the rpms fluctuate up and down? My guess would be the alternator. Take it to an auto zone or somethin and have them put a meter on it. Corey, I could be wrong, but I believe the charging system is supposed to be at 14.5 or .6 but I might be wrong. My amp for my stereo tells you the voltage of the cars charging system and mine always has a consistent 14.4-14.7.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
As long as it does not go below like 13.5 you are ok. A dying battery cell or altenator or even a dammaged battery cable

·
Registered
113 Posts
ASSEMbler said:
I will be pulling the car to a stop.
or
Be pulling up to a light.

As the car slows, it has a slight shudder. The electric, lights, all dim.

Can this be signs of a slipping belt, or a failing/binding alternator?

I have no voltage fluctuation.

It's obviously related to something on the accessory belt as it
doesn't happen at speed.

Kevin
:oops: First of all is your trans. manual or automatic. In the meanwhile check the alt. belt for proper tension and also the pulley to make sure it is tight and make sure all electrical connections are tight and all grounds are tight, then check output with a voltmeter if you have one. The voltage output should be between 13.1 and 13.5v at idle. Then have someone rev the engine and your output should go up to around 14.3v. If you see no change in the voltage then your alt. is no good. If voltage is good check current with with an ampmeter or dmm. The specifications should be on the alternator. If that is good then load test your batteries with a load tester if you have one. If you have an auto. trans. the problem could be in the trans. but I'm not sure. Also test your sensors, such as your maf, iat, tps and especially your ivs. Is your acceleration smooth or does it do the same as when you slow down? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's an auto with a kit. The tach stays the same, everything electric goes dead for a sec that is electric, I mean it's an eyeblink. And ONLY in those two situations. But, even at decent rpms, the radio and other devices cut off if one big load like the windows are used.

Acceleration is very good, I only have a CAI , shift kit and exhaust and I can smoke the tires (18x9) in the back. Mind you it's ONE tire (teh one wheel spin = gay) as I bought rims instead of the 8.8..

I'll take it to autozone, they'll test the battery. It's the original POS battery I got in the car.

Since I live in a city environ, I get the works done at a lube place, so all the filters and fluids are consistantly changed on a regular basis.

I'll get back to you after tomorrow when I get the alt /batt checked.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Its most likely the alternator. I had similar problems, checked everything couldn't figure out what it was. I even had my system checked 3 times at different Autozones and they told me it was fine.

Well, one day I replaced my alternator and it hasn't happened since ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts