Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is 2 months old, 4900 miles on it, broke the engine in properly. It seized after doing a 10-60 mph pull at WOT.

Full story

So with all my gear moving from Quantico, Virginia to Pensacola, Florida, my engine ceased today. I was about 30 minutes out of Pensacola and the roads were completely empty, so I slowed down to about 10 mph on the highway, and went WOT to about 60 mph. Then just put it in 6th and was cruising along when I started hearing a tick, tick, tick. I put the car in neutral and the noised stopped and then put it back 6th and it stopped. I thought something to do with the clutching catching weird. But nope, when I shifted into 5th gear to pass someone the tick tick tick BLASTS from the engine bay. I immediately stop the car, check the oil gauges, get out, and pop the hood--coming from the back of engine I hear the tapping. I figure I've messed up a lifter or whatever computer is running the cams it messed up. So i turn the car off and restart it and it stops. So i continue down the road. By the time i get into Pensacola and come to the first stop light the engine dies. I restart it and the check engine light finally comes on. Oil pressure is still good so i continue to drive. I drive about 10 more miles looking for a hotel or a Ford dealer and all of a sudden while cruising about 30 mph engine locks up and the car shudders to a stop.

I've checked out a few posts on the net of people have the similar problem with the tapping around 5000 miles. If anyone knows if this problem is consistent among 2011-2012 GT's please fill me in. I'm still looking into it. And will find out more on Monday from Ford.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Interesting first post. Take this with a grain of salt but you will probably face a fair bit of skepticism. There have been others that have had very similar first posts and ended up being trolls.

That said, assuming you're being honest, well all be very interested to see how this turns out. If your car is indeed stock, be prepared to face some resistance from Ford. Everyone else that has had this issue was running a custom tune... Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Engine ceased! 2012 gt 5.0

It's not my first post. Besides my introduction with pictures of my car.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. But eager to hear what Ford has to say about this. Glad to hear there are no mods. Keep us posted.

What does you Mustang look like, you live near Quantico? I ask because I live and Stafford and wonder if I've seen your car.

·
Registered
716 Posts
8WOOD said:
It's not my first post. Besides my introduction with pictures of my car.
Yikes sorry to hear that but luckily you're stock and apparently they can tell if you swap tunes so they'll have no ammo to decline your warranty work.

Very interested to see if this is the #8 cylinder issue on a stock car... That would be a first

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. But eager to hear what Ford has to say about this. Glad to hear there are no mods. Keep us posted.

What does you Mustang look like, you live near Quantico? I ask because I live and Stafford and wonder if I've seen your car.

I was stationed at MCB Quantico but I just moved to Florida. It's white with the Brembo package and 401a interior. I think I saw your mustang once on base. I know there are at least 2 other black ones with brembo packages there. But I think I recall your yellow 5.0 badge. You car looks amazing btw.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

I was stationed at MCB Quantico but I just moved to Florida. It's white with the Brembo package and 401a interior. I think I saw your mustang once on base. I know there are at least 2 other black ones with brembo packages there. But I think I recall your yellow 5.0 badge. You car looks amazing btw.
Thank you, much appreciated. Yeah I just searched for your intro thread to check out your pics. Beautiful Pony.

·
Registered
537 Posts

No tune, engine seized, your golden.... sucks about the inconvenience but you may get another new car out of it. So long as it is not an Operator head space and timing issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Ha ha, you think Ford will give me a new car!!! I highly doubt that, I'd have to really work them hard to get that. I'm assuming they'll rebuild the engine or put a new one in, which is bothersome because I know it's going to have major issues being installed at a dealer rather than the factory.

Interesting. So how you know it is ceased? Have you tried to turn the crank by hand? Or is it just not starting now.

It's totally ceased up. The engine locked up while i was driving and brought the car to a quick stop. It will not crank over when you try to start it.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts

Hmm..Makes me wonder. This will be the first stock engine I have heard of with major issues. Specially locking up. As far as locking up that just weird. Even coming to a stop you would if it died. Not cranking could be a number of things from a starter to a fuse. Keep us all informed please.

As above they will give you a brand new engine. No worries.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You will definitely be getting a new motor all newer motors that have problems like this will be sent back to ford for research and development so they can find a common thread so to speak to figure out what went wrong

·
Registered
537 Posts

I am not a word nazi or anything but you keep saying ceased... as in ceased to work? or do you mean seized as in the engine seized/ froze up?? I am confused.

·
Registered
131 Posts
M3to5.0 said:
I am not a word nazi or anything but you keep saying ceased... as in ceased to work? or do you mean seized as in the engine seized/ froze up?? I am confused.
I was assuming he meant seized lol

1 - 20 of 95 Posts