Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 With 351w swap. Trick Flow everything on it. Full MSD Ignition system, with digital 2-step (using a button on the shifter and a 2 way switch) that I have zero clue how it works. Has a super charger bracket, but looks like there may have been one bolted to it. Owner didn't have a build list. It's scary fast though.

Just bought the car last night. Drove it 50 miles to my house. Drove it to work today 20 miles. Car ran pretty good. Pulled out of the office driveway. Sped up to get through a light. Car died. Now it cranks, but does not start.

Anyone have an idea where to start chasing down this issue?

·
Administrator
981 Posts
Not sure myself, but let’s wait a bit and see who chimes in. If we don’t get results, I’ll ping someone for help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure myself, but let’s wait a bit and see who chimes in. If we don’t get results, I’ll ping someone for help.
I found the drivability thread here after I posted.

It has fuel pressure at 50 psi when the fuel pump primes. It holds it while cranking. So I am almost certain I have fuel. I need to check the MSD coil. I just don't have someone to crank the motor while I look for spark.

·
Administrator
981 Posts
I’ve heard a lot of negative reports on MSD ignition components. As far as needing a helper either buy or build a cheap remote starter.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Administrator
981 Posts
The previous owner added a lame 2 steps push button start system. Wires under the dash are probably Mickey Moused.
I hope it’s a quick fix. Nothing takes the fun & smile away faster than problems right off the bat. Keep the thread updated as you go. If you get stuck, I’ll reach out for help. Just be patient if it comes to that. Sometimes it takes a few days for a response, sometimes it’s nearly instant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope it’s a quick fix. Nothing takes the fun & smile away faster than problems right off the bat. Keep the thread updated as you go. If you get stuck, I’ll reach out for help. Just be patient if it comes to that. Sometimes it takes a few days for a response, sometimes it’s nearly instant.
Oh yeah. But that's the joy of buying an older Mustang. I haven't owned one yet that didn't need things fixed. This one has about 15k or more in mods done to it.

Thanks for the responses. I will keep the thread updated. I’m hoping Grimbrand, Beechkid, orDino might help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I thought I had it nailed down with the TFI module. That was not it.

The MSD box gets power. The MSD box does make the coil spark when I jump off the purple and green wire coming off the MSD box. So it's not the coil or the MSD box.

So in conclusion...

-not the msd box
-not the coil
-not the TFI module

What's next?

·
Administrator
981 Posts
I welcomed you on my other forums a few minutes ago. 😉

I have pinged my tech crew for you, but realize that it takes time to get replies sometimes. They are answering on both forums (same group). I know you are anxious for help, but try to keep it all together at one place. It just slows the process when it pops up on both sites.

My hope is that Grimbrand will get to this thread shortly. He’s a very busy, but VERY competent Tech-Expert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Starter fluid will not start the engine at all. Engine has good spark. Depressing the gas pedal while cranking, the car is making a thump sound out of the tailpipe.

The SPOUT connector had a jumper wire in it. I secured it a bit better.

There is no CEL working on the car. The EEC fuse under the dash and under the hood makes 11.75 volts. So the EEC isn't dead.

I am at the end of my ability to get this sorted. 😔

·
Administrator
981 Posts
I am at the end of my ability to get this sorted.
I know, but you just need to step away from it, and get some air. Give the guys some time to notice your post, and my request for help. These guys are busy and in high demand. It’ll happen for you.

If you’ve got spark, fuel, and compression, and the timing is correct, it should run. If you must tinker while we wait, pull the plugs and evaluate their condition. While they’re out, check the compression. The more information you have on hand, the better. I’m starting to think you may have flooded it, and gas-fouled the plugs.

Reactions: Grimbrand

·
Tech-Expert
306 Posts
Here's what I think I'd try next. We know it can make a spark. But we don't know if it makes it reliably and repeatedly. I'd try pulling a plug wire and putting it so you can see if it will actually jump a gap to the block. That will tell you if it's making enough fire to actually ignite anything! Based on what you see there, you can move forward and deal with other things.

You said 50 PSI, so I am pretty sure you have some kind of fuel injection! Could it be that this mickey-mouse 2 button setup is making the EFI system confused, so despite fuel pressure, it's not spraying? I agree that starting fluid might help you figure that out - but as crjackson said, if it's flooded, it won't tell you much.

Lastly, I don't know everything you've worked on, but I'd check the cap and rotor too. Make sure everything looks to be in good condition and making good contact.

·
Tech-Expert
2006 Mustang GT Deluxe
56 Posts
Okay so I thought I had it nailed down with the TFI module. That was not it.

The MSD box gets power. The MSD box does make the coil spark when I jump off the purple and green wire coming off the MSD box. So it's not the coil or the MSD box.

So in conclusion...

-not the msd box
-not the coil
-not the TFI module

What's next?
That leaves the PIP (profile ignition pickup) sensor inside the distributor. Also check that the rotor tip itself hasn't broken off because the distributor shaft wobbles due to excessive wear. I'd experienced both problems in my old '95 GT and they left me stranded in a highway lay-by needing a tow truck to get me home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I welcomed you on my other forums a few minutes ago. 😉

I have pinged my tech crew for you, but realize that it takes time to get replies sometimes. They are answering on both forums (same group). I know you are anxious for help, but try to keep it all together at one place. It just slows the process when it pops up on both sites.

My hope is that Grimbrand will get to this thread shortly. He’s a very busy, but VERY competent Tech-Expert
Sorry. I didn't realize they were the same groups until I saw your welcome message there.

I will keep the replies on this thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's what I think I'd try next. We know it can make a spark. But we don't know if it makes it reliably and repeatedly. I'd try pulling a plug wire and putting it so you can see if it will actually jump a gap to the block. That will tell you if it's making enough fire to actually ignite anything! Based on what you see there, you can move forward and deal with other things.

You said 50 PSI, so I am pretty sure you have some kind of fuel injection! Could it be that this mickey-mouse 2 button setup is making the EFI system confused, so despite fuel pressure, it's not spraying? I agree that starting fluid might help you figure that out - but as crjackson said, if it's flooded, it won't tell you much.

Lastly, I don't know everything you've worked on, but I'd check the cap and rotor too. Make sure everything looks to be in good condition and making good contact.
[/QUOTE
Oh yeah. But that's the joy of buying an older Mustang. I haven't owned one yet that didn't need things fixed. This one has about 15k or more in mods done to it.

Thanks for the responses. I will keep the thread updated. I’m hoping Grimbrand, Beechkid, orDino might help.
I know, but you just need to step away from it, and get some air. Give the guys some time to notice your post, and my request for help. These guys are busy and in high demand. It’ll happen for you.

If you’ve got spark, fuel, and compression, and the timing is correct, it should run. If you must tinker while we wait, pull the plugs and evaluate their condition. While they’re out, check the compression. The more information you have on hand, the better. I’m starting to think you may have flooded it, and gas-fouled the plugs.
I have not done a compression test yet. I was thinking it may be flooded a as well.

Full list I have done: (not in order done)

-Checked for spark at coil by jumping the unused magnetic dizzy plug on the MSD box. MSD box led also comes on every time it sparks.
-Checked cylinder 5 spark using a spare plug and a jumper cable.
-Replaced the TFI.
-Checked the voltage of the EEC fuse, Fuel Injector wires on cylinder 1 and 5, and the fuel pump fuse, and all wires coming from the 6AL box. All had 11.7 volts (battery was low at this point from cranking)
-Checked to see if the injectors were pulsing (used a circuit test light and watched for the flicker when cranking) on cylinder 1 and 5.
-Fixed a nice air leak on the "cold air induction" tube after the MAF with Gorilla tape. It has an aftermarket MAF sensor.
-Sprayed a bunch of Valvoline starter fluid into the plenum.
-The FPR has a built in gauge. It goes reads when the fuel pump primes. But no gas comes out of the Schrader valve when I press down on it.

The cap, rotor, and coil are all new from the previous owner. I have zero clue on how to remove that 2 step wizardry.

·
Administrator
981 Posts
Okay, you need verify fuel delivery for sure, but you have to take those plugs out and check them. Using a spare from the bench reveals nothing about the condition of the installed plugs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, you need verify fuel delivery for sure, but you have to take those plugs out and check them. Using a spare from the bench reveals nothing about the condition of the installed plugs.
I will check that out when I get some time after work this week and report back.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
981 Posts
I will check that out when I get some time after work this week and report back.

Thanks.
Sounds good, you’ll eventually get this figured out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts