Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is the engine cranking strong now? If it is it's probably the fuel pump, it crapped out at some point and is not sending any fuel to your engine. Turn on the car with the everything off like the heater or radio but without starting the engine and try to listen for the fuel pump turning on or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the engine cranking strong now? If it is it's probably the fuel pump, it crapped out at some point and is not sending any fuel to your engine. Turn on the car with the everything off like the heater or radio but without starting the engine and try to listen for the fuel pump turning on or not.
Thanks, I'll check that.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You need three things to start your engine. Air, fuel, and spark. You are getting air so next would be check fuel and spark. You can disconnect your fuel injection and pull a wire off of a plug and stick a screw driver in it and hold it just barely away from your engine block and see of it sparks and if it doesn't then thats your problem and if it doesn't then its your fuel system

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You need three things to start your engine. Air, fuel, and spark. You are getting air so next would be check fuel and spark. You can disconnect your fuel injection and pull a wire off of a plug and stick a screw driver in it and hold it just barely away from your engine block and see of it sparks and if it doesn't then thats your problem and if it doesn't then its your fuel system
Can't you also check the spark with the distributor? Or in this case the COP or coil pack? Haven't tried it yet but with my 66 I just take a plug off the distributor cap and check the spark that way

·
Registered
916 Posts
possibly, basically all that eliminates right now is your pump. once you get a new filter in there try it again, after that is your injectors. unless there is a blockage in the lines somewhere. for which you could hook up a fuel rail pressure sensor and turn the key to on and see if you get pressure

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the fuel sensor and everything checks out. This leads me to believe its a spark plug issue. How would I test the various components responsible for igniting the gas.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Well take a plug wire off stick a screw driver in it and hold it about a 1/4 inch away from the block and see if it sparks of it does then you know it has to be timing and if you dont get a spark make sure you have a good connection to spark plug wire and try again and make sure your not to far away from the block

1 - 20 of 68 Posts