Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
At least 15,000 unless you buy a wrecked one for cheap that hasn't been hit in the front

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Depends on what you already have

[i
f i was to do one what would i need?
Are you talking of replacing the 6 with an 8 ?

If so you will need to change the front suspension.
What transmission will you be replacing with what???

If you think your gonna do this at home without the proper tools and equipment you need to think about even doing it your self.

You will need an engine hoist and a very good compressor with all of the air tools you think it will take. ( You really don't need a lift but having one will sure be nice.

You also will need $$$$$$$$ and knowledge.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Tell him this **************************

Just clean it up and trade it in. It will be a whole lot cheaper and he won't be stuck with a bunch of expensive tools he will probably never use again.

Ronnie

·
Registered
737 Posts
ronnie948 said:
Just clean it up and trade it in. It will be a whole lot cheaper and he won't be stuck with a bunch of expensive tools he will probably never use again.

Ronnie
This.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Unless your putting a performance crate engine in then your better off trading your 6 in. There re just too manny parts to list but the engine, trans, ECM, drive shaft and wiring harness are the hardest things to get and also the most expensive. A good trans is 2k+, ECM is another grand at least, drive shaft and wiring harness is another 1300 or more. That's almost 5k without an engine, motor mounts, belts or hoses, a tune to run the car, custom intake, suspension to support. a larger engine..... Your talking over 10 grand to do it rite.... And not to bee an ass but a motor swap is one of those things that if you have to ask how much then you probubly can't afford it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you want a V8, buy a V8 car. It's always cheaper to buy it than build it in the long run. Been there, done that. Unless you can do the work yourself you're at the mercy of whoever is doing the work actually knowing how to do it, and what they charge you. And there's a good chance you'll ended up stuck in some hell world of somewhere in between with a big investment in parts and no running car to show for it. Financially you'll never come out ahead.

Plus, later when you want to sell the car no one is going to want to buy it at the price you are going to think it's worth after you've done all that work. And that's if you can even find anyone confident enough in the work to want it.
Sorry, props to the original author "412 Horses", but about the best advise I saw on this topic over and over again.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've done an engine and trans swap in my Grand Prix. On that vehicle, the bare essentials was the engine w/ accessories, wire harness, pcm, power steering lines, throttle cable, and a lot of time and a crap ton of tools.

90% of it is just bolting things up and swapping parts out. The other 10% is computer-related differences. The way cars are increasingly becoming dependent on multiple computers that communicate to run everything, at this point I'm not sure if it's just the engine computer you need to swap. You might also have to delve into body control modules and the like.

Anyway, if my Mustang wasn't my DD and I stumbled on an excellent deal of a 5.0 with all the hardware for cheap, would I swap it? Probably. Outside of random, awesome deals, trading in your Mustang would be more cost effective. Besides, GTs keep their resale value. A FrankenV6 converted to a GT... not so much.

---

Side note: The V6 and V8 trans and clutch discs are the same, except the ratios are the bit lower geared in the V6 version. So, theoretically you could keep it and just need a 5.0 + flywheel. Then slap on a GT driveshaft. I still have a lot of questions about the V6/V8 drivetrain differences between the two. Ones I doubt will ever be answered until I see a 5.0 on a lift.

·
Banned
610 Posts
I will never understand why folks do this.. I mean why would you spend so much money doing this.. just trade it for a gt cheaper and easier

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
It all depends

If you have a late model and want to put in a 600+ horsepower crate engine and a beefed up transmission and a nine inch rear as a project to have something extremely custom and different it would be great.

If you have an old 60's or 70's era driver and want to put in a late model crate engine and late transmission it is even better.

*********************************BUT*******************************************

If you have a late model V6 & want to put in A Late model V8 You are just wasting a whole lot of time and a whole lot of $$$$$$$$. Just not a smart move when you can trade it in or sell it and get a GT or Shelby for a lot less $$$$ then an engine swap.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts