Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looks like my head gasket blew on my '00 3.8 and I figured that it was better to spend a little extra and get a parts car to do a swap to a V8. Now , my question is, do I have to get a 99-04 body or would a 94-04 work? I found a couple with a 5.0 and the 4.6 but from a SN95. Any info will be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
It would be much easier to replace your head gaskets, sell the car, and then purchase a GT, if you want a V8.

With that being said, the easiest and most economical way to do the swap is to find a 99-04 GT donor car. You will need the entire drivetrain to do the swap properly. Along with the PCM, engine wiring harness, and countless other various parts and pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be much easier to replace your head gaskets, sell the car, and then purchase a GT, if you want a V8.

With that being said, the easiest and most economical way to do the swap is to find a 99-04 GT donor car. You will need the entire drivetrain to do the swap properly. Along with the PCM, engine wiring harness, and countless other various parts and pieces.
I'm aware that I need an entire donor car but I'm having trouble finding cheap 99-04 gt which is why I ask if I could get the 5.0 or 4.6 from a 94-98 because I found some cheap donor cars that will work but I'm not sure if there is slight changes in the drive train and stuff like that which is why I ask. I would fix the head gasket and sell but the car is somewhat sentimental to me which is why I'd rather do the swap. Plus I go to an auto tech school so for the instructors to see me pull the swap off will be very beneficial for me lol :bow:

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
If you use a 99-04 donor car, the swap is basically "plug and play". Using a older car as a donor is a little more complicated due to mostly minor drivetrain differences. For instance, if you use a 94-95 donor car, you will need to swap the k-member to your New Edge to be able to accommodate the pushrod engine. And the rear end is narrower in the 94-98 cars than the New Edge cars. Along with the electrical differences.
If the car needs to get inspected for emissions compliance, swapping a pushrod engine into a 96-up car is generally not allowed.

·
Super Moderator
17,946 Posts
Cheaper to fix yours and sell it and buy a V8 as was already said. If you get a donor car with everything then since the bodies are the same you can swap engine, trans ecm etc... over but... again... if you have to pass an inspection you won't pass with a 4.6L car with a 5.0 pushrod in it. Also the 5.0 pushrod is a downgrade.

I'd find a 96-98 GT for next to nothing and swap everything over and PI swap the engine while its out. If you are set on the swap. But not a 94/95.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts