Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard a fairly noticable whine from the engine since i got the mustang, especially when going slowly through the stop-and-go of parking lots in 1st and 2nd with the clutch partially pressed.

i don't know if its normal because i had always driven automatics before the mustang. could it be the belts? its got around 47k miles and i think all original belts from '99.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can it be a chipped tooth in the gear?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Make sure your transmission has fluid. But I think its just your power steering. Put some more power steering fluid in and see if that does anything.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my impression was it being a pulley or belt or something. i hope it isn't anything with the transmission like a chipped tooth on the clutch.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If it were anything to do with the transmission I would bet more on a clutch throw-out bearing, but, its more likely just low on power steering fluid as previously said, good call there! :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rick0636 said:
If it were anything to do with the transmission I would bet more on a clutch throw-out bearing, but, its more likely just low on power steering fluid as previously said, good call there! :D
Open your hood and see if you can hear where the sound is coming from. If it's a belt buy some belt dressing and slob it on there. In my car I had a sound that was the tensioner pully squeaking, I took it off and oiled it and it was fine.
Rick0636 said:
You can mess up your throw out bearing by holding in the clutch at stop lights and such. If you rest your foot on the clutch between gears when you're shifting a lot you're probably compressing it a bit too so make sure not to do that either.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Or it's the sweet sweet whine of the super charged engine in the 03 Cobras Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shift Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
non cobra dude: "Dude whats wrong with your car it goes weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (shift) weeeeeeeeeeeeee"

cobra dude: "One screw just wasnt enough I had to have two"

·
Registered
284 Posts
prolly the power steering pump? every 6 I've heard has a loud pump. If that's the case, don't worry about it. Just make sure it has enough P/S fluid.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
232stang01 said:
prolly the power steering pump? every 6 I've heard has a loud pump. If that's the case, don't worry about it. Just make sure it has enough P/S fluid.
yeah ever since ive had my 6 its made a little noise while slowing down..its just how our car is

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine don't whine

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
didn't get around to checking when i washed the car. i'll look into it and see. hopefully it just needs to be flushed or needs fluid and it's not a belt or pulley that needs oiling. i hate dealing with that stuff.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
if it does it when going in a straight line its not the power steering pump.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts