Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, would It be more beneficial to just buy a brand new crate motor for my 67, or raise the compression, and buy new heads, pistons and rings and keep my current engine?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Just wondering, would It be more beneficial to just buy a brand new crate motor for my 67, or raise the compression, and buy new heads, pistons and rings and keep my current engine?
How much compression? If you get to 11:1 and up you can't really use pump gas. Crate motor is right and ready to roll.

·
Registered
161 Posts
what is your ultimate goal? if all you want is to freshen up your motor, then keeping what you have is fine. if on the other hand you are looking for more performance, then perhaps a good crate engine is the way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd buy a new engine. In the end the costs can be the same. I have a 68 fastback. Had a similar problem last year. I wanted a little extra performance and bought a top end kit from edelbrock to go into my original 289. Before installing I did a leak down test and found it wasn't a good candidate. Instead of rebuilding the 289, a local engine builder suggested a rebuilt 302 HO for the bottom end for the top end kit. Glad I did that. In your case you can't swap heads you have to consider you might need a new cam to match the spring pressure of the new heads, raining compression on cast cylinders. I wouldn't. I would ensure it had forged. As with my situation, I would buy new top end power without testing if the bottom end could hold it. Just my 2 cents. In the end all these little things add up. But a crate and you have less worries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts