Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
They pulled mine in to the oil change booth last year, after they saw the nitrous pressure gauge in the car. Then opened the hood and started checking everything. And looked under it. First time I have ever had that happen.

Never found my kit though as its mounted under the manifold.

Gave me hell about no cats. They called the manager over there and told him that the cats were gone.

Yes Texas.

?and ? fed coyote.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Or if you just have a "visual" inspection (like we do out here and catch hell every year)

You can do dummy cats.
Or be like me and say F it and deal with the complications when it comes time.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Easy to say, but there is this one cop in my area that has supposedly been targeting modified cars. A guy i know just got his car impounded for no cats. I also know plenty of other people he has given tickets to. I've personally never had an issue with cops even times i've gotten pulled over. But this one guy in the area is out to get us. Damn motorcycle cops.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I keep an OEM H-pipe in my shed for inspection purposes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
18,044 Posts
Easy to say, but there is this one cop in my area that has supposedly been targeting modified cars. A guy i know just got his car impounded for no cats. I also know plenty of other people he has given tickets to. I've personally never had an issue with cops even times i've gotten pulled over. But this one guy in the area is out to get us. Damn motorcycle cops.
I had a cop poke his head under my car once in all my years of not running a catted pipe and since I got off with a warning I think due to the military ID. I will never run a straight up blatant offroad pipe again honestly. I don't need some prick towing my car because his life sucks or for whatever reason.

If I do get a longtube setup in the future or whatever it probably will be offroad because at that point I'll have a built motor but it'll damn sure have dummy cats and a catback that isn't obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a cop poke his head under my car once in all my years of not running a catted pipe and since I got off with a warning I think due to the military ID. I will never run a straight up blatant offroad pipe again honestly. I don't need some prick towing my car because his life sucks or for whatever reason.

If I do get a longtube setup in the future or whatever it probably will be offroad because at that point I'll have a built motor but it'll damn sure have dummy cats and a catback that isn't obnoxiously loud.
Hypothetically, say someone is running dummy cats and the cop wants to be a real pain. Is there anything that he can do other than look under the car to check them? It's not like it's easy to tell if they're fake, right?

·
Registered
320 Posts
EPA

I live in PA in one of the 30 or so counties that are required to have emissions.
I have done no removal of cats, etc.
That said, if the vehicle has no codes and is in ready mode it will pass.
They upload all that info to the state
The place I take it rarely lifts a vehicle, they'll check ball joints, etc on jack.
My Impala freaks out alot and twice wasn't ready for no apparent reason.
I often consider get my inspection cert as my neighbor teaches the night classes at the vo tech.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
No sure if anyone replied but this is what I found when I searched "does the defeat device law effect non diesels".... its very shady with how hard it was to find.

EDIT: Just saw that it wont let me post it here probably because it's a pdf but if you search what I did its the first 5 page pdf link that comes up on google

·
Registered
346 Posts
For the past two years the EPA has been pushing for new regulations that would make any emissions impacting modification illegal on any vehicle originally certified for road use. This even applies to a dedicated race car that is never driven on the road.

If this passes it will be the end of the aftermarket performance industry that has hidden behind the "For Off Road Use Only" banner for years.

SEMA has effectively fought this but it will be more difficult with the new administration. If you are not a member of the SEMA Action Network you should join now (does cost anything). The Action Network will keep you abreast of changes on the state and federal level and will provide you with suggested wording to email your legislators. They even provide the email addresses of the appropriate legislators to send your opposition to.

Dave

·
Lorraine's driver
8,207 Posts
I've kept my stock midpipe for just such an occasion. Fortunately my Mach isn't modified too much and slapping the stock midpipe in won't change things terribly. We've been lucky here in Indiana with not having emissions inspections, but I feel like it's coming in the coming years as more electric cars come out.

·
Super Moderator
18,044 Posts
Every time I think of putting the longtubes on even tho over here its a "visual" for American cars for service members stationed here I think twice... Kick around JBA shorties or their mid pipes... also for ground clearance purposes. Or just put that money towards a Novi 2000 headunit which is looking like a better and better option since literally nothing is wrong with my stock logs or UPR catted X.

Also props for a user bumping a 6 year old thread... not as bad as ppl bumping posts from 2003 on the Corral but still... lol.

Reactions: ab_mach1

·
Super Moderator
18,044 Posts
Got a set of 96/97 Cobra JBA Titanium shorties on order from Jegs. Says it'll ship 26 March... I'll believe it when I see it tho. The stock logs are good for what they are but they aren't great... Longtubes are awesome but I already have clearance issues so those Pacesetters I have will stay in storage or maybe I'll sell them for $$$ here to the one dude who has a Mach 1 in Spain lol. My mid pipe is pretty new, has great clearance and is catted and already setup for a wideband so honestly the JBAs were the way to go. The 96/97 versions are $478 for titanium vs like $800 for the same damn header for "03/04 Cobra". Literally the only difference is the 96/97 ones have the SAI ports... which are 1/2 NPT caps so like... yeah I'll get those and pay $10 for two caps and save $400 lol.

Those JBAs actually do pick up power over the stock logs and its even more with the 4V. The 2V runs out of air before the extra flow but no scavenging of the shorties can really help but I shift at 7200 rpm so... This plus the suspension and body mods I'm doing in the next 12 months should tide me over for a bit. I am here in Spain till 2026 at least and I have a .020 over WAP block here in the garage with me so... I'm really thinking of doing a build with that and then figuring out how to get a Magnum transmission over here without paying 28% import tax... That is future Scott's problem tho...

Reactions: ab_mach1

·
Super Moderator
18,044 Posts
Well **** they shipped today... and I got 10% off military discount from Jegs. $478 shipped for titanium coated stainless JBA shorties... can't beat that... time to get on Amazon and order two 1/2NPT caps...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts