Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Erratic Cam Phaser/VCT Operation

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  RoccoV 
#1 ·
I just finished replacing the oil pump, timing chains, guides, tensioners, cam phasers, VCT solenoids, and cam followers on a 2008 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L 3V. I was extremely careful to lock the crank with the timing tool, align both chains and link marks, and limit the amount of contaminants entering the engine during disassembly/reassembly. I was lucky enough to be able to get the spark plugs out without any issues (original plugs at 165K), and I installed new Motorcraft spark plugs with nickel antisieze. So . . . I went for a ride after replacing the parts, and the vehicle ran fine (~10 miles), until I went to back into the driveway (manual transmission). The idle dropped, and the engine started missing, with a couple timing codes in the ECU. I suspect an issue with the VCT circuitry mechanical/electrical. (No low oil pressure indication) The car is a GT/CS convertible. Any known issues that I could be missing?

#2 ·
Oil pressure is 60-65 PSI cold idle, 15-20 PSI at hot idle, and approximately 45 PSI at 2,000 RPM hot engine. Oil is fresh, filter is new, 6 Qts Motorcraft 5w20 SynBlend, and there was no evidence of metal contamination on the last oil change. Just wanted to add a little more to think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.