Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Got my check engine light on last night (ironically at 12:00AM... the day of my birthday). Went over to autozone and they told me it was P0411 (secondary air induction system -- incorrect flow). Could anyone guide me on what could be wrong and what I must do to fix it?

Car Specs:
1999 Ford Mustang V6
Automatic Transmission
70,900 est. miles

Thanks.

·
Registered
941 Posts
check to see if you have a leak on your intake tubing. do you have cold air or something you've messed with before?

if you don't find anything, go to ford and ask em.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a cold air intake, but I've had it for over a year now with no problems.

By the way, I just checked on my warranty that we paid $1420 for and it expired after 12 months. So it was over with last June. Oh well.

My stepdad is going to take it into his work tomorrow and see if any of the mechanics can find anything wrong with it. We'll see. I'd really prefer not to have to pay any money at a dealership to fix this... at least not more than $50 after just spending $1400 for wheels & tires today. I'm pretty much living off $100 now for the next two weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
same **** happened to me. ive ripped out my intake like 3 times and i put it back in a lil while ago. ive gotten the codes deleted millions of times and have disconnected the battery a few times. Still came on. Yesterday i put in my autometer gauge cluster (looks sweet as a *****) and had to disconnect the negative and it hasnt come back on YET. We'll see what happens. If it comes back on the im going to put on my headers and then take it to ford. But ive also been driving with it on for about 3 months now and no major problem has occured. THIS CODE IS BULL ****!!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I donno... sounds to me like I might as well just take it in and pay to get it fixed because I'd hate to deal with this random yellow light appearing on my dash non-stop.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I know how you feel...random lights jus appear on my dash so I just keep pullin the battery cable and reattaching
Nothing major, it just doesn't think i can put my gas cap back on right. the sensor is messed up

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait a tic... so do you think if I detatch the battery... put it back on, and if no light comes back on (check engine) then it was just a glitch?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That happens sometimes, If you don't tighten the gas cap enough when you put in gas it will trigger a check engine soon light, for sure. I had an aftermarket gas cap on my 94, that code stayed on most of the time, so I finally bought a Ford replacement cap, never got that code again.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow... this specific error came up just because of a gas cap? I had filled up earlier that night... but the light didn't come on until at least an hour later. So by unplugging and plugging back in my battery cable... I may be able to get rid of that light?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Worth a try man. But disconnect the ground wire. Use an 8mm wrench. Leave it off as long as practical. At very least step on the brake pedal 3 or 4 times while its disconnected to drain any residual voltage from the system.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks for the advise. I'll get out there a few mins before school and give it a try. I can't imagine that it's because I didn't tighten the gas cap enough -- seems like such a trivial thing... but people make mistakes I guess?!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ooo... Rick made it sound like as if the gas cap issue was a resolution for this specific error code. If not... then no, it's most likely not the gas cap because I already had my car up at AutoZone and was given the error code P0411.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Mine actually pops up with a little message on far right of dashboard that says "check gas cap". I checked it then and it did ****. I'm just gonna put a piece of electrical tape over the light and not worry about it anymore...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm... yeah, I've never seen that light. The light I'm getting is the yellow Service Engine Soon light.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is your first problem....Its a ford...jp, I have a ford too. What you might want to do is if disconnecting the negative on the battery doesnt do it, then try finding someone with a ford diagnostic tool who can reset your computer. Before doing that though, you might want to take it to a mechanic or the dealer because you might have a sensor that went bad. It could be a pressure sensor on the manifold...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My stepdad looked at my car today and found that the air pump is all packed up. Need to replace it basically. Anyone know how much that'll run me? I'm gonna ask my friend at Advance Auto so that way I can see if his discount will help much, otherwise, I'll order it from my dad's body shop. Just doesn't sound like a part you'd find often on eBay.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts