Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, last night, no left brake/signal light. This morning, I'm installing the headlights, go to test them out and notice the left tail light is in with the headlights. I check it and everything is working perfectly; signal, brake light, hazard. Then I finish installing the headlights, and now no left turn signal - but the left tail light comes in with the headlights. Very frustrating! And concerning because in my mind this points to a short somewhere. What do you think?

Anyway, here are the new headlights installed. I didn't really like them off the car, but I think they are okay installed. They look clean.
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1399156134.392742.jpg

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
So, last night, no left brake/signal light. This morning, I'm installing the headlights, go to test them out and notice the left tail light is in with the headlights. I check it and everything is working perfectly; signal, brake light, hazard. Then I finish installing the headlights, and now no left turn signal - but the left tail light comes in with the headlights. Very frustrating! And concerning because in my mind this points to a short somewhere. What do you think?

Anyway, here are the new headlights installed. I didn't really like them off the car, but I think they are okay installed. They look clean.
View attachment 155780

Weird.... I had similar problems with my mustang i just said f it and got a new harness. Im sure you can fix it tho. Get a power probe and I'm sure you'll be able to sort it all out. That tool is pretty ba!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, I'm probably headed that direction rapidly - it all needs replacing, so why mess around patching things if it all needs replacing anyway. But that's a little down the road.

Because of the snow we didn't go to the in laws for Mother's Day - instead I spent some time in the garage (win!).

I replaced and tested my temp sensor. Dipped the end in boiling water with it hooked up and grounded and the gauge went up as expected.

I also drained the radiator and took off the hoses, then flushed out both the rad and block. It turns out everything on the block side was green colored while the fluid from the radiator was rusty brown.

I went to test fit the new shroud and no big surprise it doesn't come close to fitting. Well a new rad and fan were already on the to-do list, but the state it's in and my annoyance with the shroud made me just move forward and order a new rad and an electric fan. I'm going to return the shroud, cut my losses and move forward. I'd have to fabricate mounting brackets, get a new fan spacer, etc to make the shroud fit correctly (prob why it didn't have one), just to remove it in the future anyway. Didn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Nice. I got an American Autowire kit it was really nice. A little confusing at first but it was pretty simple after laying it out it even has wires for power windows and electric fans already so you don't have a bunch of extra harnesses in your engine bay

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

View attachment 155780
Sounds like a grounding problem. One light is grounding through the filament of the other causing erratic behavior. Check all your grounds.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice. I got an American Autowire kit it was really nice. A little confusing at first but it was pretty simple after laying it out it even has wires for power windows and electric fans already so you don't have a bunch of extra harnesses in your engine bay

Yeah, I was looking at those. Tough question: how many hours would you guess it took? And would it make sense to wait until future body work/interior/paint is done?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at those. Tough question: how many hours would you guess it took? And would it make sense to wait until future body work/interior/paint is done?

Hmmm it depends on how careful you can be with your paint work haha but it would be ideal to do it after paint. And really it only took probably like 15-20 hours including removing old wires and pulling dash apart id recommend removing the seats, shifter and steering wheel. I was stubborn and didn't remove those till after i worked on it for a while and it made it a lot easier after those were out of the way.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hmmm it depends on how careful you can be with your paint work haha but it would be ideal to do it after paint. And really it only took probably like 15-20 hours including removing old wires and pulling dash apart id recommend removing the seats, shifter and steering wheel. I was stubborn and didn't remove those till after i worked on it for a while and it made it a lot easier after those were out of the way.

Thanks...so would it make any sense to replace the wiring, then pull it down the road when I gut everything? Seems like with a new harness it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall, right?

I'm trying to figure out a way I can feel good about my electrical situation and driving her around while I'm saving up my pennies for body work and paint.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You wouldnt be able to take it out without cutting the connectors off but you would be able to tape it off. Its really not that big of deal. If you put it in before paint.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You wouldnt be able to take it out without cutting the connectors off but you would be able to tape it off. Its really not that big of deal. If you put it in before paint.

I see your point. I might have a compromise in mind, but I need to do more research. But in the meantime I need to find what's loose! Hopefully life will get less busy and I'll have more than an hour here and there to get some work done. Thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I see your point. I might have a compromise in mind, but I need to do more research. But in the meantime I need to find what's loose! Hopefully life will get less busy and I'll have more than an hour here and there to get some work done. Thanks for your responses!

No problem!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I got the busted radiator out and cleaned the leaf collection out from behind it:
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400031694.120822.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400031707.887342.jpg
No wonder the radiator was spraying coolant onto the fan when it came up to temp...the new rad is on the way.

Then I started digging into the electrical issue with my probe. First issue I came across was on the heater panel. It turns out when the heater switch was on, the entire heater panel was receiving charge, switch and all! So I pulled the switch out and taped off the connection.

My rear light issue turned out to be a wire that had pulled a little loose from its harness behind the dash. I had the turn signal "on", and was probing different places when I brushed against a wire and suddenly the signal started blinking. After pushing it back in, brake lights and signals all working perfectly. Booyah!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ugh waiting for parts to get in sucks. Radiator isn't getting in until Wednesday, then I probably won't have time to do anything until next weekend.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I got my shiny new radiator and electric fan and shroud. The bummer is that it of course doesn't fit...seems like a theme, but I was expecting this. The width of the 3 row radiator plus the electric fan doesn't give enough room for the water pump pulley. I think with some creativity and minor modifications to the shroud I can make things work with enough clearance.

I was hopeful I get it up and running again by this weekend, but I don't see that happening. I'll see if I have time for the modification and installation this weekend. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Okay. After much gentle persuasion and minor modification, I got the fan and radiator mounted and wired up. I had to get creative with the shroud, so I widened the hole about 1/8" all around and mounted the fan on the inside. Still plenty of room between fan and rad, but that gave me the extra room I needed. I have about 5/8 - 3/4 inch of clearance between the fan and the water pump pulley now, so I feel pretty good about that. I got some of the super thin radiator spray paint and did the area visible from the grille so the shiny rad doesn't show through. Of course everything else that needs paint is now painfully obvious :)

The thing I screwed up was the easy part. When I replaced the thermostat, it must have slipped a little before I torqued down the housing bolts. When I filled it with water, it came gushing out the housing bottom. The thermostat got caught between the housing and the engine so it didn't actually seal. I picked up a new housing just in case I warped the old one - it was fairly cheap. So tomorrow I should be able to mount it back up...wish me luck! ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401765271.339141.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401765293.917531.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401765314.444438.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401765328.600728.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Okay, I've tested the fan thermal switch - both seem to be working well. I tested the new temp sensor, and that seems to work well, and the new thermostat works well. The thermostat was installed without slipping under the housing this time, so score.

And the weather forecast is calling for rain tomorrow through the whole weekend. Awesome. Hopefully I'll have a little time to drive around in between thunderstorms and flash floods :)

21 - 40 of 254 Posts