Mustang Evolution Forum banner

121 - 140 of 254 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Looking great! Love seeing projects like this.

My Dad and I have been working off and on on his '69 Camaro (I know, I know, but it's numbers-matching and he's the only owner). The mechanic working on it dropped the front subframe and found the area where the bushings mount it to the rest of the body were so rusty the front end probably would have fallen off the car on it's first drive...LOL. It's all mechanically sound now and driving well, but has a lot of body work in its future.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Thanks! You know, if it's an old car that you're working on and enjoying, who cares if it's a Camaro or vette or jeep or mustang or VW bug? As long as you like it, and you're enjoying working on it and hopefully learning from it, then rock on!

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
So there's someone with a first generation Camaro on the forum...
Looks like we need a Challenger or Cuda on the forum...
I got that covered, 70 Challenger T/A.
Looks like the big three have reps for their respected pony cars on the forum...
Now it's a party...

Adventure till you drop

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Thanks! And I have come to love POR 15... the car spent about 30 years under a tarp in the backyard, so there is plenty of surface rust on unpainted parts. In fact, the guy that fixed the subframe painted the whole thing with POR 15... very smart idea.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
I nearly bought one... RS Z/28, factory cross ram intake built 383 stroker 750hp... ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424549232.320882.jpg
Loudest car I've heard in my life...

Adventure till you drop

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Perfect for a little Sunday drive! LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Not to get too far off-topic, but a little sneak-peek at the rebuilt engine on my dad's Camaro.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Lookin good guys! And don't worry, I'll be here to bring us back on subject :)

So I got some time today and did more cleaning of drip rails, etc. I have some rust converter on the way, and want to apply it to the hard to reach areas before putting the new roof on. But I uncovered some asshattery from back in the day. Someone filled a hole with gobs of filler. I cut out the offending area. I oopsed a little with the cutting wheel, so welded up where I went too deep. I started cleaning up the welds before catching myself: nobody will ever ever see this area, why am I grinding those welds?

Anyway, rust converter in the hole and a patch to follow.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424584617.887376.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424584633.013476.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1424584649.084682.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
So I FINALLY had so e time to get into the garage. My rust converter arrived, both spray and brush form.i went after the roof braces and some inner surfaces with the wire wheel, then I used the spray to reach into the non-reachable parts, and brushed onto the reachable ones. I also painted the inside of the new roof...because I'm insane. We are getting close to being able to put the new roof on. I still have to make and weld in the patch from a few weeks ago, but that shouldn't be too terrible. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425696509.497652.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425696540.522196.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
^ Looking nice! What did you paint the inside of the roof with? Matte POR-15 or the rust converter you got?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
^ Looking nice! What did you paint the inside of the roof with? Matte POR-15 or the rust converter you got?

Thanks! I had a quart of rust Encapsulator left over from back when I did the rear axle - overkill since it's new metal and primed, but that's okay. Because it's the roof, I don't mind the brush streaks since it will be hidden anyway. Once the rust converter has done it's thing, I'll probably use the same quart in the trunk drop downs and the other hidden parts since I have it already.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great looking work, you've really got her stripped down! I wish I had the space to take my 68 down that far but I'm working out of one side of our 2 car garage. Look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I'm actually surprise how much room it has taken. We have a two car garage also, but it's deeper so I have a workbench and some space. But I built shelves running the length on each side which are packed with parts, and I have a ton of new parts in boxes in the basement. I have plans to build more shelving the will go above the door opening, that will give me lots more room. You can see all the interior and trunk lid up on the shelves. Things are gonna get interesting when I get to the engine bay...

The deal I have with my wife is that the garage is all mine as long as she can park in there and get in and out of her car without issue.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425789561.342833.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1425789576.987725.jpg

121 - 140 of 254 Posts