Mustang Evolution Forum banner

141 - 160 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm actually surprise how much room it has taken. We have a two car garage also, but it's deeper so I have a workbench and some space. But I built shelves running the length on each side which are packed with parts, and I have a ton of new parts in boxes in the basement. I have plans to build more shelving the will go above the door opening, that will give me lots more room. You can see all the interior and trunk lid up on the shelves. Things are gonna get interesting when I get to the engine bay...

The deal I have with my wife is that the garage is all mine as long as she can park in there and get in and out of her car without issue.

View attachment 176949 View attachment 176950
Wow! Surroundings looks familiar, LOL same deal here, guess I should be grateful my wife drives a mini cooper, leaves bout 2/3 of the garage for me ..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Wow! Surroundings looks familiar, LOL same deal here, guess I should be grateful my wife drives a mini cooper, leaves bout 2/3 of the garage for me ..

Mini Cooper would be nice - my wife has an SUV crossover-type thing. Not gigantic, but sizable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We bought blue prints for 2 car carriage house several years back..but never built, oh how nice would be to have that right now..LOL oh well, will work with what I got..

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Got a little time today, made the patch for the rear glass frame, and welded it in. Sorry don't have pictures of it in, I wanted to test fit the roof, I'll snap some later. Anyway, looks like with a little massaging, the new roof should fit just fine. The biggest concern is where the roof transitions into the b pillars, it will require a little persuasion, but I can almost push it into place, so I'm not too worried.

By the way, any idea what the tabs on the leading edge are? My guess is they stamped them in to hang the parts up.

ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298537.983926.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298556.286673.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298580.607978.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298599.393172.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298618.873180.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298635.639611.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426298652.926659.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great work man! I'll take first time painting any day over that kinda work, cutting out and welding in new parts n panels makes me a lil nervous. I welded structural steel for years but haven't had much luck with thinner metal like that on bodywork..Looking good tho!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Thanks. The new metal is fine - actually pleasant to weld. It's when you're making repairs to older thinner metal that things get dicey. I've got my welder on the lowest voltage, and if you hold it a fraction of a second too long, you can blow right through.

But once you get the hang of it, it's really all pretty much the same, just with some interesting tricks like where to add braces or what order to do things in. At least that's what I'm learning so far - I could find I'm way off base as I move forwards!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Looking great! I really should learn to do some welding myself too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of holes man! Should have just robbed glass roof from late model stang and stuck it on there..that would definitely be custom..those every 1 1/2" ?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
They make an air tool that punches holes I would def pick one up if i was replying a roof! Looks good though now time to fill in all those holes!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
1.25" on front and back, every 0.75" on the sides. The holes on the sides are smaller because the welds are on the small lip of metal in the drip rails. It did take some time, but no biggie. No air in my garage yet, but I've been eyeing a couple different compressors.

I actually considered just putting another sun roof in, but I like the clean roofline too much. Besides, knowing my luck, it would leak everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I actually considered just putting another sun roof in, but I like the clean roofline too much. Besides, knowing my luck, it would leak everywhere.
Seems like all of these old muscle cars leaked like crazy in the rain...LOL

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Yeah, and I don't actually plan on driving it in weather, but still, no sunroof for her. I'm thinking I should be able to start welding the roof tomorrow if I have the time.

Here is a question, how should I approach replacing the lead? I got some Metal 2 Metal filler, but I'm not sure that's the best for that deep an area. I've never leaded anything before, so I'm not sure where to start.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yeah, and I don't actually plan on driving it in weather, but still, no sunroof for her. I'm thinking I should be able to start welding the roof tomorrow if I have the time.

Here is a question, how should I approach replacing the lead? I got some Metal 2 Metal filler, but I'm not sure that's the best for that deep an area. I've never leaded anything before, so I'm not sure where to start.

I think they have some led substitute fillers on eastwood

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe this will help, lead free sounds good for your human body, at least long term. I've never worked with this but looks similar to body filler or fiberglass process , wouldn't image you'd have to worry about warping since heat seems to be applied primarily to solder. In your application would be very tedious work but with long roof seams not many ways around that.Best of luck to you sir !
http://youtu.be/CCrlLyXp2i4

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Okay I just poured myself a scotch. Let me recap. So I got the roof prepped, welding areas cleaned and a coat of weld thru primer on there. I then started cleaning off the paint overspray from the drip rails to prep for welding. While I'm at it, I started going down the a pillar with the wire wheel. Well it looks like the bondo bandits were at it again because holy crap I need new drip rails. In hindsight, it's a good thing I did that BEFORE I started welding on the roof, because it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to do the drip rails now rather than after. But I'm pretty annoyed, and bummed I can't get the roof on today. So I'm going to sit, take a deep breath, watch some game of thrones, drink my scotch and order some drip rails. Crap. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426453919.671999.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426453935.440433.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426453961.710168.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426453975.730453.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426454001.408627.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1426454020.186824.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
^Yikes! Bummer, but so much better to catch it now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well that sucks man! Like TYM & yourself said , much better to catch it before you had 20 to 30 spot welds done on front & rear...that would have really sucked grinding all those welds back out..enjoy your scotch, tomorrow is.a new day!

Stang Life....

141 - 160 of 254 Posts