Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Everyone With Components & Mach

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Funky4.6VERT 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently installed my components in the vert and the rears were easy enough however the fronts work but they look like sh*t. I modified the pods so that my tweeter depth would work and drilled through the front covers to mount the tweeters to. I applied black vinyl around the covers however vinyl cannot be wrapped around like the original grille cloth can be. My problem is the vinyl has to be folded slightly on every triangle cover edge. No adhesive has worked including epoxy and frankly, even if it did stick it would look pretty stupid. My solutions I have found are either buy new pods and start over, cover the covers with grille cloth again, or make my own fiberglass pods. I may tackle the third just for experience sake but if someone here has had the same problem hopefully they can offer a solution.
Thanks,
Ted

#2 ·
nobody? Come on....someone has to have some answers or suggestions, dangit!

#3 ·
I answered this before in another thread.

But, the tweeter you have on the sail panel you can't hallow out and put the new tweeter in there. People have tried. So, the best way to go about it is to use 1/2 birch and fiberglass to mold a new sail panel and either paint it black or wrap it in black vinyl.

Vinyl is very hard to work with. Did you heat it up and stretch it?

#4 ·
I did not try to heat it but i did try to stretch it. obvioulsy that did not work. I think I can drill a hole through the grille cover and mount them that way. It looks nice except i did not take my time in measuring(i was sick of spending all day on the stereo) and i had to heat up the enclosure and bend and move plastic until i had clearance. I think i can ultimately do it right and make it look pro, i just was hoping there was a fool proof way, which there must not be one. I ordered new enclosures today so soon I will be able to give it another shot. Do you know if I heat the vinyl good enough it will contour correctly around the triangle shape? Also do i need a heat gun or would a hairdryer work? my wife's of course!
Thanks, Dom
Ted

#6 ·
Thanks, i will try it out sometime this week, maybe even tonight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.