Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The connection form my cat deletes t the factory h pipe is leaking pretty bad. I have tried to move those crappy ball clams around forever with no improvement. Are there any clamps I can run to the auto store and pick up that would fit better? Normal band clamps are alot wider but not sure if they would fit over the ball shape of the pipes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that would obviously work, but welding my exhaust makes it a pain if i ever want to swap anything out. I dont need a 100% fix, just the best fix without welding.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Well unfortunately the way the connections are, you do not have many choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would wrapping the connection in high heat tape and then putting the clamps over that be enough to keep the seal better. It only seams to be coming out of the opening the clamps have where you tighten the bolt down.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
It may help.
Try not to make them so tight.
I hate the connections and clamps they use.
Other thing you can try is getting new clamps from ford, as the ones you are using may be bent.
That's why I dislike the clamps. If they are bent. As you tighten them. The side with the bolt will pull outwards Vs clamping down with equal pressure all the way around.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so over tightening them could make the leak worse? I have been getting them pretty tight.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Ok so over tightening them could make the leak worse? I have been getting them pretty tight.
Yes bc it can bend the clamp. And pull the side with the bolt outwards. But If they are already bent, then get some new ones. And don't get them really tight.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thank you. i will try that with some high eat tape maybe tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fax22, how do you know you have a leak? I ask this because I think mine is leaking as well and I wonder what symptoms your car is showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i can hear it, smell it, and when i go under the car, i can feel it with my hand coming out at the clamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just occasionally get what sounds like whooshing sound. I have been under the car when it's running and I do not feel the leak or smell it. I just wonder if mine is so minor, that it comes and goes. I just hope it's not messing with my tune.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could just be your intake if you have an aftermarket one. That wouldnt be coming from under the car though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the stock intake. I think it is just the crappy oem h-pipe clamps and exhaust getting out somehow. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439274616.667132.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439274639.316797.jpg

Use these, found at Napa for about $10 each. All your problems will go away. I put a couple wraps of aluminum foil on the joints first.

I agree, for whatever reason once those factory clamps are moved they never seem to seal up real well.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those look like exactly what i need. Curved in the middle to fit the connection, but long enough to seal everything up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had the same exact issue and I found the cheapest easiest fix. Go to your local pars store, I had to go to a small business one because I couldn't find it at auto zone or advance. Pick up some muffler cement/sealer. It's a mettle paste/ cement, for sealing joints. Mine actually says easy to take back apart on the tube, you just need to shader it off. I'd defiantly try it

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How long dies it take to cure fully before you drive it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts