Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my exhaust put on in the next month, i've finally saved up enough. But, I have a couple of questions still. This is the setup i am going with, Straight piped cats, custom h pipe, and catback flowmaster 40 dual exhaust. I've heard that straight piping your cats is bad for the motor, is that true? Also is this a good setup? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
I haven't ever heard that cutting your cats off is bad for anything. If anything it would be better! (Not for the environment of course haha) I'm cutting off the rear cats on mine because the cats on these cars just kill the noise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
austinknoll said:
I haven't ever heard that cutting your cats off is bad for anything. If anything it would be better! (Not for the environment of course haha) I'm cutting off the rear cats on mine because the cats on these cars just kill the noise
That's what i told the guy who told me that and he said that you need that balance in back pressure for the motor and I tried to tell him that the h pipe will balance that out. But i too want to take mine off because it will make the exhaust louder lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Getting rid of your cats won't hurt your engine. And at the same time I doubt that would give any noticeable increase in power. They aren't very restrictive. Leaving them on will burn exhaust fuel and won't have that constant rich smell of gas, hush some obnoxious exhaust noise down, the cars computer will continue as normal. Without them the car will be louder, slight power increase if your cats are restricting flow, you will need mil eliminators if you don't want to drive around with the check engine light on. The H pipe will help smooth out exhaust pulses and give you a nice deeper tone. Mufflers are almost entirely preference unless your putting down serious numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
The only thing that will suffer from deleting cats is a tad bit of torque. However, the right size piping will prevent that from being the case, and will allow better flow for more power. I can't remember off the top of my head if its 2.25 or 2.5 piping though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Crowned1 said:
That's what i told the guy who told me that and he said that you need that balance in back pressure for the motor and I tried to tell him that the h pipe will balance that out. But i too want to take mine off because it will make the exhaust louder lol
I hav divorced duals and i got 2.5 to the mufflers and 2.25 to the tips to even out my back pressure and worked great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
So I guess you guys don't have required emission testing in your state? I am in TX and annual inspections require an emissions testing. If I took my Cats off I would fail just by sight alone. I don't know if it would be "overlooked" and I could pass the actual exhaust test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
2008crna said:
So I guess you guys don't have required emission testing in your state? I am in TX and annual inspections require an emissions testing. If I took my Cats off I would fail just by sight alone. I don't know if it would be "overlooked" and I could pass the actual exhaust test.
My state requires it, so i just hollowed my cats, and used a tuner to turn the rear o2 sensors off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,311 Posts
I'm getting my exhaust put on in the next month, i've finally saved up enough. But, I have a couple of questions still. This is the setup i am going with, Straight piped cats, custom h pipe, and catback flowmaster 40 dual exhaust. I've heard that straight piping your cats is bad for the motor, is that true? Also is this a good setup? Thanks!
first off let me say that back pressure is a myth...the only term that matters is exhaust velocity. that being said back to your post...when you say straight pipe your cats i assume you mean cutting the cats off? usually straight pipe refers to not having mufflers so i think i know what you mean but i wanna be sure.

as for the setup you picked it'll sound fine...it's your basic v6 setup alot go with so we know it's tried and true...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ProudSixxer26 said:
I hav divorced duals and i got 2.5 to the mufflers and 2.25 to the tips to even out my back pressure and worked great.
so you dont have a mid pipe right?

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

1slosix said:
first off let me say that back pressure is a myth...the only term that matters is exhaust velocity. that being said back to your post...when you say straight pipe your cats i assume you mean cutting the cats off? usually straight pipe refers to not having mufflers so i think i know what you mean but i wanna be sure.

as for the setup you picked it'll sound fine...it's your basic v6 setup alot go with so we know it's tried and true...
yes cutting the cats off and replacing it with regular exhaust piping
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Crowned1 said:
so you dont have a mid pipe right?

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------



yes cutting the cats off and replacing it with regular exhaust piping
Yes u don't hav to hav a mid pipe thats how u save money and it's louder then the midpipes. But if u don't get the different piping size u will have bad acceleration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ProudSixxer26 said:
Yes u don't hav to hav a mid pipe thats how u save money and it's louder then the midpipes. But if u don't get the different piping size u will have bad acceleration.
so what size piping should i go with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
The only thing it might hurt is your engines torque, It should make up for it in some more HP though I think.
OH the environment, If you don't have your cats on it pollutes the environment more.
Most people who want there cars to be faster don't care and just take them off.
I'd just take them off and leave them off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
lemons95 said:
The only thing it might hurt is your engines torque, It should make up for it in some more HP though I think.
OH the environment, If you don't have your cats on it pollutes the environment more.
Most people who want there cars to be faster don't care and just take them off.
I'd just take them off and leave them off.
Doubt he would lose any torque. If anything he would gain some due to free flowing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
I want to say the v6 piping is 2.25" inches. If thats the case I would run that to the mid pipe and 2.5" to the tips. That would give you a stepped "kinda" effect. You could go 2.25 to the mid pipe, 2.5 to the mufflers, and 3" out the back, but I doubt the car will breath enough for that to take great effect. With too big of piping you will lack velocity and the exhaust can start to stack up. Smaller piping will give better torque, but will suffer on the top end, too big of piping and your bottom end will suffer; again this is relative to the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
brooksyx said:
Hey guys just saw this for sale on my local craigslist:

99 04 Mustang GT Cobra Exhaust Tail Pipes flow master Mufflers

Would this be something that I could have installed on my 02 V6? If it would work would be cheap to get installed and the extra tubing for divorced or h pipe to go with it?
All you would need is a hanger set and an off road H or X pipe or a stock GT H pipe
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top