Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I've recently been learning as much as I can about the Coyote powered Mustangs. Tonight I decided to pull the trigger and brought home a 13 GT Premium.

With that said I have a few mods on my list but I'm really reconsidering my exhaust choice after a lot of the reviews I'm hearing about Pypes products. The price is right but the quality appears to represent "you get what you pay for."

I was originally planning to do a Pypes full catback and a pypes offroad x pype. After the horror stories I've read and the customer service someone received after purchasing a pair of their long tubes they can give their stuff away for free and I won't put it on my car.

I am now leaning towards the JBA off road X pipe and a Borla S type exhaust. Is there going to be any significant difference in power gains from a complete cat back vs the Borla axle backs? My guess is that the significant power gains are going to come from removing the cats and the cat back exhaust isn't going to make any difference. Am I wrong here? I'd hate to shell out the difference for the complete cat back if it won't make any difference.

My current mod plans are going to be a SCT tuner w/ Bama tune, 3:73 gears, Ford Racing LOK LSD, JBA Off Road X pipe and either a Borla cat back or Borla axle back. Is the K&N drop in filter any good? I've heard mixed results on K&N's drop ins and what I've read here has lead me to believe the factory CAI on the car is as good if not better than any of the aftermarket CAI's available, plus I'm concerned about an open element filter with the open hood vents. If I can get away with the Borla axle backs I'll also pickup UCA's, LCA's and a panhard bar.

Also, I went with the 19" x 8.5" wheel upgrade thinking the wider wheel would prevent me from having to upgrade the rims early on to keep the power on the ground. Is an 8.5" wide tire going to be enough for a 460ish hp car?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Greetings!

I've recently been learning as much as I can about the Coyote powered Mustangs. Tonight I decided to pull the trigger and brought home a 13 GT Premium.

With that said I have a few mods on my list but I'm really reconsidering my exhaust choice after a lot of the reviews I'm hearing about Pypes products. The price is right but the quality appears to represent "you get what you pay for."

I was originally planning to do a Pypes full catback and a pypes offroad x pype. After the horror stories I've read and the customer service someone received after purchasing a pair of their long tubes they can give their stuff away for free and I won't put it on my car.

I am now leaning towards the JBA off road X pipe and a Borla S type exhaust. Is there going to be any significant difference in power gains from a complete cat back vs the Borla axle backs? My guess is that the significant power gains are going to come from removing the cats and the cat back exhaust isn't going to make any difference. Am I wrong here? I'd hate to shell out the difference for the complete cat back if it won't make any difference.

My current mod plans are going to be a SCT tuner w/ Bama tune, 3:73 gears, Ford Racing LOK LSD, JBA Off Road X pipe and either a Borla cat back or Borla axle back. Is the K&N drop in filter any good? I've heard mixed results on K&N's drop ins and what I've read here has lead me to believe the factory CAI on the car is as good if not better than any of the aftermarket CAI's available, plus I'm concerned about an open element filter with the open hood vents. If I can get away with the Borla axle backs I'll also pickup UCA's, LCA's and a panhard bar.

Also, I went with the 19" x 8.5" wheel upgrade thinking the wider wheel would prevent me from having to upgrade the rims early on to keep the power on the ground. Is an 8.5" wide tire going to be enough for a 460ish hp car?

Thanks in advance!
Congrats on your purchase!! Your off to a good start as far as research, it looks like u learned a good deal so far. As far as exhaust, my very first mod was Borla S type axleback and it's plenty loud and deep with just that alone... And from what I heard paired with OR/X it sounds it sounds amazing, I still have axleback setup for now. As far as your 19x8.5 wheel setup, I'm sorry to say that they are not going to be wide enough especially in the rear after you lower, on factory height it my be ok, I had the same setup and was dissapointed after lowering and was forced to get the proper wheels to go with lower rate, I just didn't like how the wheels looked tucked in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Greetings!

Thanks in advance!
OP,

Looks like you're definitely off to a good start!

You can go a few different ways on the exhaust. Both of the options you mentioned will work fine though. Especially the Borla S-type axle back (they sound great). A full cat-back system is not really necessary until you're making more power via supercharger, turbo, or nitrous.

The UCA's, LCA's and adj Panhard bar are a wise decision, too. They'll really help you put all of that power to the ground properly. However, an 8.5" rim in the rear is pretty skinny. Since you already bought these wheels, I highly suggest getting a set of drag radials if this isn't your DD. Without a drag radial, you're going to have problems with traction on that side wheel, unfortunately.

Let me know if you have more questions about which suspension components to go with or just any future mod questions at all. I'll be happy to answer them and help guide you in the right direction!

Shane

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
Removing the cats is where you will see the most gains on these 5.0's. If you are doing a catless X you would be better to go with the GT500 Axle backs. The catless X makes the exhaust extremely loud and raspy with a axle back that is already pretty loud,such as the Roush. The GT500s will mellow out the rasp and give you a nice deep tone. I would also look for some aftermaket axle backs on CL or the forums,it can save you some cash. A lot of parts found can be close to new or in excellent condition and there is nothing wrong with running used parts as long as they are in good condition.

Good luck and welcome to the family!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks to the guys that have been giving their advice on here, learning a lot for being a new modder.
So I was looking at the borla exhaust, since that's what most seem to favor on here. There seem to be 3 of them, I was taking in consideration that I do have a vert. So just asking if I'd be able to carry a conversation or be able to think. Anyone have any experience? I was listening the the borla s-type, awesome sound, and being automatic, they did say wouldn't be as loud as manuals.
Any thoughts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I was listening the the borla s-type, awesome sound, and being automatic, they did say wouldn't be as loud as manuals.
Any thoughts
I believe the autos tend to be a little quieter in cruising compared to the manuals. Probably because of the 3.15's you're operating at a lower rpm range. Listen to this video. The car appears to be pretty loud and I have the same exact setup but mine isn't nearly as loud. These cars do have pretty refined interiors to help keep the noises out.
2011 Mustang TRUE flyby - YouTube

·
Registered
730 Posts
I believe the autos tend to be a little quieter in cruising compared to the manuals. Probably because of the 3.15's you're operating at a lower rpm range. Listen to this video. The car appears to be pretty loud and I have the same exact setup but mine isn't nearly as loud. These cars do have pretty refined interiors to help keep the noises out.
2011 Mustang TRUE flyby - YouTube
Yep the autos seem to be quieter from what people say, I'm sure the interiors tone it down too, but when top is down, is it gonna be annoying. Any conv. owners out there that had some exhaust done, the borla s-type sounds awesome.
Whoever has that, now I know why you chose it. Awesome!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have the GT500 exhaust with an off road X pipe? I ended up going with a Gibson off road x pipe (I regret this decision and should have stuck with the JBA) and have the stock mufflers on the car right now. With the stock mufflers the car is not much louder than it was with the cats on. Im very happy with the sound levels but Id like something to give the car a bit deeper rumble without making the car to much louder than it is right now since my wife won't be as thrilled with a loud exhaust system as I am.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Nope! I'm on the stock 19x9 Brembo wheels and cannot put down the 420 I have now. Another 40 horses will just make things worse.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Does anyone have the GT500 exhaust with an off road X pipe? I ended up going with a Gibson off road x pipe (I regret this decision and should have stuck with the JBA) and have the stock mufflers on the car right now. With the stock mufflers the car is not much louder than it was with the cats on. Im very happy with the sound levels but Id like something to give the car a bit deeper rumble without making the car to much louder than it is right now since my wife won't be as thrilled with a loud exhaust system as I am.
exactly what you want, the GT500 exhaust, or if you want it to really sound amazing, the Borla S-Types.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'd like it to sound great, and louder. But since I have convertible, didn't know how loud should make it, since I don't have closed cabin, so didn't know if borla was too loud or what

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
dj_james123 said:
I'd like it to sound great, and louder. But since I have convertible, didn't know how loud should make it, since I don't have closed cabin, so didn't know if borla was too loud or what
I've had headers with vert, I didn't think it was bad at all.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Borla stingers are pretty quiet with o/r x when driving normally and scream when you get on it. I think you'll be fine. Just keep in mind when you do get on it don't care where you live you are breaking the law for decible levels.

Else wise they are far quiter than the rush I had were for normal driving but just as loud under WOT.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Borla stingers are pretty quiet with o/r x when driving normally and scream when you get on it. I think you'll be fine. Just keep in mind when you do get on it don't care where you live you are breaking the law for decible levels.

Else wise they are far quiter than the rush I had were for normal driving but just as loud under WOT.
Thanks for the advice! Appreciate it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some of you will get this & some won't, but i've had "Fun" cars for over 40 years now. It was NEVER about impressing others, but more about how it made ME feel.:D That being said, I put a set of GT 500's on my 2013 GT and every time I start it up in the garage it brings a HUGE grin to my face.:lol: This is primarily my wifes DD and every day I wait to walk to the mailbox just so I can hear the sound as she drives off to work, and i get that same grin :lol: ,even though I'm not the one behind the wheel. The short version here, is I've heard others, but I really liked the sound of the GT 500's. They sound nasty in a conservative kinda way. Suits me just fine. A great price too @ just over $300.00. There is always gonna be somebody bigger , louder , faster, so do a little research, and do what you like & can afford. My 2%

·
Registered
382 Posts
Some of you will get this & some won't, but i've had "Fun" cars for over 40 years now. It was NEVER about impressing others, but more about how it made ME feel.:D That being said, I put a set of GT 500's on my 2013 GT and every time I start it up in the garage it brings a HUGE grin to my face.:lol: This is primarily my wifes DD and every day I wait to walk to the mailbox just so I can hear the sound as she drives off to work, and i get that same grin :lol: ,even though I'm not the one behind the wheel. The short version here, is I've heard others, but I really liked the sound of the GT 500's. They sound nasty in a conservative kinda way. Suits me just fine. A great price too @ just over $300.00. There is always gonna be somebody bigger , louder , faster, so do a little research, and do what you like & can afford. My 2%
+1

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well said! I'm in the camp who "gets it".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts