Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Exhaust question

Tags
exhaust
1K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  nosympathy 
#1 ·
When I had my roush axlebacks installed last year the idiot mechanic sawed off a couple of the j shaped hooks on the stock exhaust when he took them off. The hooks that go into the black rubber hangers. Not sure why he did that. I saved the stock exhaust and peaces he sawed off. Can they be welded back on? At the correct angle and length? I assumed but want to be sure. Thanks.

#3 ·
Thanks

#5 ·
My buddy had extra hangars welded onto his axle backs because they weren't lining up right. He just had them held in place where he wanted them and tac welded them real quick, then welded them in place to the frame so they stayed where he wanted them. Turned out great. Didn't ruin the axle backs and the alignment was perfect.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

So did some guy on this site. Maybe he will post and talk about his experience, since I can only speak on behalf of my buddy.

#15 ·
I've installed all my **** myself, from lowering springs, full exhaust, throttle body and CAI... All my upgrades are perfect. I'm just trying to help this guy out. You're saying hold the stock there and weld the old cut hangars on, never gonna match up, brainiac.

#16 ·
Until his car chassis or motor mounts flex and bends or hits a bad bump the exhaust or anywhere it has a fitting will bend or snap due to the fact it has no free play. I am a welder. Not to be rude but that aka the whole point of welding in the hangars... So you can adjust how it hangs/looks

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

+1 you very well could tack weld them back in where sawed off and they will be closer to hanging right with some hammering than if you go with a completely new spot but..

#17 ·
The Puma said:
I've installed all my **** myself, from lowering springs, full exhaust, throttle body and CAI... All my upgrades are perfect. I'm just trying to help this guy out. You're saying hold the stock there and weld the old cut hangars on, never gonna match up, brainiac.
Brainiac ? You've showed what you know, nothing.

#18 ·
To Korncush, that is what I advised, tac weld so they are where you want them and weld in place. I just don't think that holding two next to each other and welding is a good idea. I'd say weld into place on the frame, get the hangars in then weld in place, and if there is a chassis bend of flex enough to break anything, the tac will snap. However, if that happens, his car is ****ed anyway, your tac'd exhaust benign the least of it.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

And for tc x 4. I'm not gonna argue with you bro. I was giving my opinion, if you don't like it, shove it up your booty hole. Then give your opinion and the thread owner can read and make up his/her own mind. You're not the Mecca of exhaust knowledge. You're getting away from the point of helping other pony owners. Being snotty isn't helping.

#20 ·
Op, it's really to have the pieces reinstalled when you want put the stock back on as long as the hangers are still on the car. Simple install the stock muffler back on then install a metal rod on the hang then tack weld the hanging rod to the muffler. As for welding to the frame, it is not recommended for most applications because of the extra noise transfer to the interior of the car and without solid motor mounts it puts extra strain on the entire exhaust system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.