Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 3.8 mustang stock and i am looking forward too adding a exhaust system from headers to tips. Does anyone have something they can recomend me that adds performance and gives a good muscle car tone? :) Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
if it's performance you're looking for, then you need to decide what you're willing to spend. an exhaust system from headers will be expensive. well over $1000

long tube headers run about 250. they get you the best performance on a Naturally Aspirated motor. shorty headers are cheaper, but lacking in exhaust flow

then you'll need an x or h pipe. off road type will be louder and a little more powerful and costs a mere $190, but a catted h pipe will let you pass emissions, the downside is it costs about $350. if you wanted an x pipe, you'd have to get one custom made or else modified. for the sake of emissions, i'd say get the catted h pipe. check ebay for deals

after than you need to pick a catback dual exhaust. the cheaper brands, like flowmaster, mac, magnaflows, sound pretty good on a v6 without a lot of other mods... all should be between $200 and $400 for the catback

but if you're gonna eventually mod the whole motor, then a higher priced brand of catback may be right for you. there are borla, bassani, steeda... all will run over $400, but when you rebuild your engine, you'll have a nice sounding exhaust

also, remember that you'll have to pay for labor to get all this installed. with headers and h pipe, you'll likely spend over $300 just on labor. if it's beyond your pocketbook, then get the headers later on, just start with the h pipe and catback

but there are the basics you need to know. if you're gonna go all out with your stang, then get all the options. if you just want dual exhaust, spare your pocketbook and get a "cheapie" exhaust. either way you go though, you won't gain more than 10-15 horsepower at the wheels. large hp gains come with engine modding (on v6's, at least)

i hope i broke things down well for you

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
whitev6stang03 said:
I have a 2003 3.8 mustang stock and i am looking forward too adding a exhaust system from headers to tips. Does anyone have something they can recomend me that adds performance and gives a good muscle car tone? :) Thanks
What mods are you going to do after the exhaust and what is you desired end result. How much do you want to spend on exhaust?????

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Danger Dude said:
What mods are you going to do after the exhaust and what is you desired end result. How much do you want to spend on exhaust?????
Well Danger Dude, I'm looking forward to incress my MPG and for my stang to sound pretty good. I would want a stang with like about 230 hp after mods, so it can have a little kick in it. :D I'm not looking forward to racing a cobra but maybe keep up with a GT. Anyone have ideas of where to start moding?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dark said:
if it's performance you're looking for, then you need to decide what you're willing to spend. an exhaust system from headers will be expensive. well over $1000

long tube headers run about 250. they get you the best performance on a Naturally Aspirated motor. shorty headers are cheaper, but lacking in exhaust flow

then you'll need an x or h pipe. off road type will be louder and a little more powerful and costs a mere $190, but a catted h pipe will let you pass emissions, the downside is it costs about $350. if you wanted an x pipe, you'd have to get one custom made or else modified. for the sake of emissions, i'd say get the catted h pipe. check ebay for deals

after than you need to pick a catback dual exhaust. the cheaper brands, like flowmaster, mac, magnaflows, sound pretty good on a v6 without a lot of other mods... all should be between $200 and $400 for the catback

but if you're gonna eventually mod the whole motor, then a higher priced brand of catback may be right for you. there are borla, bassani, steeda... all will run over $400, but when you rebuild your engine, you'll have a nice sounding exhaust

also, remember that you'll have to pay for labor to get all this installed. with headers and h pipe, you'll likely spend over $300 just on labor. if it's beyond your pocketbook, then get the headers later on, just start with the h pipe and catback

but there are the basics you need to know. if you're gonna go all out with your stang, then get all the options. if you just want dual exhaust, spare your pocketbook and get a "cheapie" exhaust. either way you go though, you won't gain more than 10-15 horsepower at the wheels. large hp gains come with engine modding (on v6's, at least)

i hope i broke things down well for you

Thanks dark, you helped out alot.

·
Registered
99 Posts
whitev6stang03 said:
Well Danger Dude, I'm looking forward to incress my MPG and for my stang to sound pretty good. I would want a stang with like about 230 hp after mods, so it can have a little kick in it. :D I'm not looking forward to racing a cobra but maybe keep up with a GT. Anyone have ideas of where to start moding?

Buy a GT... J/K Exhaust is one of the best places to start. Looks like your starting in the right direction already.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
whitev6stang03 said:
if you want good mpg, then the best thing to do is probably leave the car alone. hp saps mpg. dual exhaust won't hurt it much. but if you get in depth with your modding, then you'll start to burn more gas, which will decrease the miles you can go on a gallon of gas

basically, if you want to preserve your stang's mpg rating, then i'd stop doing performance mods at bolt ons (dual exhaust, cai, udp, differential, rims)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I would personally forget the Long tube headers. They are not required and you can use the money for other mods. I would just go Cat back. I would get the usual Bolt-ons first. Underdrive pulley, CAI, 3.73 or 4.10 rearend gears and Tlock and a chip. You will not get to 230 RWHP unless you go into the engine and change your cam, P&P Heads, P&P intakes or you supercharge or get a nitrous kit. If you do go Supercharger then I would consider Long tube headers.

You can PM me and we can discuss further mods and what is best for your budget.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Danger Dude said:
I would personally forget the Long tube headers. They are not required and you can use the money for other mods. I would just go Cat back. I would get the usual Bolt-ons first. Underdrive pulley, CAI, 3.73 or 4.10 rearend gears and Tlock and a chip. You will not get to 230 RWHP unless you go into the engine and change your cam, P&P Heads, P&P intakes or you supercharge or get a nitrous kit. If you do go Supercharger then I would consider Long tube headers.

You can PM me and we can discuss further mods and what is best for your budget.
How much hp do u think i'd get out of these bolt ons CAI, Dual Exhaust, Tlock, underdrive pulley, and chip? About 210?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
somewhere near 210 BHP would be a good guess. If you have a Automatic you are around 150-160 RWHP and around 170 RWHP if you have a standard. A chip can get you 10+ HP and 10+ RW torque if you dont mind running Premium gas thru your car. All the bolt-ons might get you 15-20hp tops. Gears and Tlok will not get you HP but it will make you launch faster and make your car quicker. It is the biggest bang for your buck for the perfromance increase you will get and feel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Danger Dude said:
somewhere near 210 BHP would be a good guess. If you have a Automatic you are around 150-160 RWHP and around 170 RWHP if you have a standard. A chip can get you 10+ HP and 10+ RW torque if you dont mind running Premium gas thru your car. All the bolt-ons might get you 15-20hp tops. Gears and Tlok will not get you HP but it will make you launch faster and make your car quicker. It is the biggest bang for your buck for the perfromance increase you will get and feel.
niiiice good enough for what i want for now. :D Do you know how to see how much hp and rwhp i got on my car? Like a Dyno i think its called. How much does it cost to do this or where can i take it? I'm pretty much lost as you can see lol.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have mac long tube headders mac h pipe and a mandrel bent exhaust. The muffs are mac too. The tone is great at idle but a little "ricey" at wot. I have a super charger so this mod was the icing on the cake. Low end tourqe is great. you can push all the air you want in an engine but it has to flow it out too to get gains.do long tube if you can. its worth the $$$ in my eyes. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
smokin6 said:
i have mac long tube headders mac h pipe and a mandrel bent exhaust. The muffs are mac too. The tone is great at idle but a little "ricey" at wot. I have a super charger so this mod was the icing on the cake. Low end tourqe is great. you can push all the air you want in an engine but it has to flow it out too to get gains.do long tube if you can. its worth the $$$ in my eyes. :)
Nice... I was thinking of puting on mac long tubes, mac cated h pipe, and mac exhaust system. This will be around 1000 bucks not sure if it worth it but im debating on it. I wont start to work till this summer (12 bucks an hour :D ) coming. I've been busy with college lately and im just geting ideas for this summer. So how do u think my car would sound stock with this exhaust system idea?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question is how thick should i get my exhaust pipes for a stang that im planing on adding CAI, pulley, tlock, and maybe a chip. Im not to sure about the chip tho.

·
Registered
67 Posts
get 2 mufflers, go to an exhaust shop, and have them make you a custom true-dual setup, w/ straight pipes, no cats :D unless you have to go through emissions testing, or you get pulled over by dot, you'll be fine

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll for sure will get my setup I siad on the 13ths post. I think MAC exhaust pipes come with a thickness of 2.5 inches so i think it'll sound great after all the ideas and comments said here. Thanks to everyone :D

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
2.25 or 2.5 inches will be ok. don't go bigger or smaller than that though

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Unless you are going to Supercharge I would just stick with 2.25. The problem is with loss of backpressure that will in turn cause a loss in some torque. It is not much loss but any loss in a V6 is not good since we are trying to get more performance not less.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Backpressure doesn't build torque.

More backpressure = less power. Stick a spud up your tailpipe and you'll build lot's of back preessure, then try to drive it.

Steve

1 - 20 of 41 Posts