Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am lookin at buying a midpipe and was wondering what the difference in sound between a o/r h pipe and a high flow catted h pipe ? also for the o/r would there be anything different in the install?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
i am lookin at buying a midpipe and was wondering what the difference in sound between a o/r h pipe and a high flow catted h pipe ? also for the o/r would there be anything different in the install?
The O/R pipe will be louder and flow more without the restriction of the catalytic convertors.

For the O/R install, if it does not have provisions for your smog pump tube, you will have to disable the pump or completely remove the system.

If you do that, make sure you can still get it inspected as your local inspection laws my not allow its removal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an off road x-pipe on my mustang and it has the smog pump tube. So before you go eliminating stuff you might want to check some different models of h-pipes. Im sure if they put it on the x pipe theyll have h pipes with them too.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
lateralzero said:
I have an off road x-pipe on my mustang and it has the smog pump tube. So before you go eliminating stuff you might want to check some different models of h-pipes. Im sure if they put it on the x pipe theyll have h pipes with them too.
even if it is setup for smog he will still have no cats.if he has to get emmision tests then he will need cats.but the plus of that is he can change the pipes out for inspection and not have to worry about smog.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im planning on keepin my oem h pipe and swappin it on for inspections bc even the catted ones arent inspection acceptable because it doesnt have 4 cats

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
351mustanggt said:
im planning on keepin my oem h pipe and swappin it on for inspections bc even the catted ones arent inspection acceptable because it doesnt have 4 cats
then it would be a good idea to keep the smog also.you can get a pipe without and weld a bung in to connect the smog to.or find one that accepts smog.

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

do they actually count the cats?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
according to my mechanic that ive had for years if their book says 4 cats is oem and you have 2 you fail

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

i dont know if hes just giving me the legal version but he told me just keep the oem and swap em the day of the inspection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts