Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I want to get a nicer sound from my exhaust. I went to American muscle to buy an exhaust and they have so much selection I got confused! What is the difference between catback,

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Axle back, h and x pipes. Which one will give me the best deep growl sound?
Thank you,
Will

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
here's a quick break down for you op...

Axleback- the mufflers are after the axles and are at the rear bumper (stock style setup)

Catback- the mufflers are now before the axles after the cats

x pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold come together in an x design

h pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold just have a pipe in the center connecting them (literally looks like and H)

prochamber- another midpipe to consider...it's kinda a mix of an x, an h, and a single chamber muffler lol (my personal favorite)

·
Registered
107 Posts
1slosix said:
here's a quick break down for you op...

Axleback- the mufflers are after the axles and are at the rear bumper (stock style setup)

Catback- the mufflers are now before the axles after the cats

x pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold come together in an x design

h pipe- this is a midpipe where the pipes from each manifold just have a pipe in the center connecting them (literally looks like and H)

prochamber- another midpipe to consider...it's kinda a mix of an x, an h, and a single chamber muffler lol (my personal favorite)
In a cat back, the muffler is not becwthe axle...
Cat back is the same as axle back except the tubing from the cats to the axle is also included, which generally be a larger diameter than your stock tubing. You can gain some horsepower with cat back exhaust if you have a tune to account for it, but an axle back will basically just give you the exhaust note.
Personally I say cat back is the way to go. Problem is thet xost a little more and your options are greatly reduced

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

NickAP12589 said:
In a cat back, the muffler is not becwthe axle...
Cat back is the same as axle back except the tubing from the cats to the axle is also included, which generally be a larger diameter than your stock tubing. You can gain some horsepower with cat back exhaust if you have a tune to account for it, but an axle back will basically just give you the exhaust note.
Personally I say cat back is the way to go. Problem is thet xost a little more and your options are greatly reduced
* becwthe = before *

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your just after a nice exhaust note then all you really need is an axel back setup. You should still see a small HP gain since your new mufflers will be high flow, it wont be as large as a cat back so weather it is worth the extra dough all depends on what your after. Use the search function on here and read thru some of the axel back and cat back reviews and you will see that the decision is very much a personal one. if your lucky like me there might just be a mustang club around you, go to a meet and ask for some opinions, you will have people revving engines to show you there exhaust in no time.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
Hey everyone,

I want to get a nicer sound from my exhaust. I went to American muscle to buy an exhaust and they have so much selection I got confused! What is the difference between catback,

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Axle back, h and x pipes. Which one will give me the best deep growl sound?
Thank you,
Will

Mustang240,

These guys have definitely pointed you in the right direction and explained what each exhaust is!

This is going to be a very opinionated question because everyone likes a different tone. Do you like the deep growl? Raspy? Extremely Loud? etc...

We can definitely give you some suggestions once we know what you're after!

-Dan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AMDanBailer said:
Mustang240,

These guys have definitely pointed you in the right direction and explained what each exhaust is!

This is going to be a very opinionated question because everyone likes a different tone. Do you like the deep growl? Raspy? Extremely Loud? etc...

We can definitely give you some suggestions once we know what you're after!

-Dan
Hey Dan, I was planning to buy the exhaust from American muscle. I wanted a deep growl tone, I like the flowmaster force II. I also see that some people have headers and catback a on their car. What does that do? If I am changing the exhaust if rather do it all at once.
It would highly appreciated if you can tell me what parts I will need.

Thank you in advance,
Will

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Mustang240 said:
Hey Dan, I was planning to buy the exhaust from American muscle. I wanted a deep growl tone, I like the flowmaster force II. I also see that some people have headers and catback a on their car. What does that do? If I am changing the exhaust if rather do it all at once.

Thank you in advance,
Will
I think I may be able to help a bit.

I installed BBK Long Tube Headers, Catted X-Pipe, 5.0 Resonators, and Roush Axlebacks.

The long tube headers all both the same Borla and BBK ur just paying for the brand name. They increase the exhaust manifolds diameter and the tubing is a larger diameter so you get much better airflow, which gives you better performance and MPG.
The X-Pipe is best for performance and sound, unlike the H-Pipe the X-Pipe gives you a raspy sound. Uncatted means there is no catylitic converters so you get most air flow but will not pass emissions tests. The catted one has high flow catts so basically it's the same but more expensive so I would choose that xpipe.
The resonators are optional but if u want a deep growl find some! They take off the high pitch noise and rasp from the exhaust tone to make it really deep n loud.
The Axlebacks are all optional on you. But I chose the Roush ones because I've had magnaflows, flowmasters, ford racing, and my Roush ones. The reason why I picked Roush is the other mufflers make a weird rattling knows at high RPMs and it sounds stupid. My Roush ones don't.

I love my setup and it's loud as hell but not raspy and annoying its DEEP! If you would like I could upload a video? I already have one without my resonators installed and I can make a new one with the resonators installed.

Hope I could have helped you in your selection and questions.

Ps. Get a bamma tuner from AM you will need one for best performance and MPG for the headers and all!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very very much. Can you please send me a link to that video I would love to hear its sound.

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts

Thank you in advance,
Will
Mustang240,

I'm glad to hear you were planning on ordering your exhaust with us! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

I would recommend doing it all at once as well. Mainly because if you do Long Tube headers you'll need a shorty mid pipe. If you don't you'll need a full length mid pipe! As far as brand goes like listed above, that's up to you.

I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what you're after once you hear a few sound clips! Check out You Tube for some different sound clips and let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan

·
Registered
787 Posts
AMDanBailer said:
Mustang240,

I'm glad to hear you were planning on ordering your exhaust with us! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

I would recommend doing it all at once as well. Mainly because if you do Long Tube headers you'll need a shorty mid pipe. If you don't you'll need a full length mid pipe! As far as brand goes like listed above, that's up to you.

I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what you're after once you hear a few sound clips! Check out You Tube for some different sound clips and let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan
I would order more from AM if u guys would not kill me with shipping charges. U would think if am spending a grand on parts u would cover the cost or partial cost

·
AmericanMuscle.com
2,878 Posts
I would order more from AM if u guys would not kill me with shipping charges. U would think if am spending a grand on parts u would cover the cost or partial cost
monkey13,

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely look into this and see what I can do for you, however I don't have much say in the shipping charge to Canada.

The reason its expensive (depending on the weight of the item) is because of duty/border fees. We have no control over those charges and UPS automatically accounts for those charges when we give you a quote! So basically we cover all chargers from our facility to your door, no hidden fees.

I hope this helps.

-Dan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya shipping to Canada is very expensive. Anyways thank you everyone who helped me out. I have decided to go with the borla atak axleback. Any cons to this exhaust? Can I hear my music while I'm driving or is it too loud?

Thanks

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mustang240 said:
Ya shipping to Canada is very expensive. Anyways thank you everyone who helped me out. I have decided to go with the borla atak axleback. Any cons to this exhaust? Can I hear my music while I'm driving or is it too loud?

Thanks
Great choice ..u won't regret it. No cons imo and as far as music u will hear every song clear unless your wot..

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

AMDanBailer said:
monkey13,

Thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely look into this and see what I can do for you, however I don't have much say in the shipping charge to Canada.

The reason its expensive (depending on the weight of the item) is because of duty/border fees. We have no control over those charges and UPS automatically accounts for those charges when we give you a quote! So basically we cover all chargers from our facility to your door, no hidden fees.

I hope this helps.

-Dan
Definitely a solid answer i appreciate the feedback. I just wish there was a way yo split the cost if i spend a certain amount

1 - 20 of 51 Posts