Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, im new to the site but not new to cars. I just recently purchased a manual 2004 mustang GT with 62K on it roughly now. The thing im trying to do with my exhaust is experience that crackle when the engine dies down but for some reason cant get it to do anything. Its just bland high revs and bland when it dies down. Its got the rumble just nothing after. The owner before me has deleted the cats and has put on an aftermarket cat-back X-Pipe Magnaflow Dual exhaust system. Is the reason why im not experiencing that low end crackle due to the mufflers still being on the exhaust dampening that effect or is it something totally different? Any help would be appreciated thankyou.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
That crackle noise is created by unburned fuel lighting off when you let off the throttle, it gets inside of the hot exhaust system and is ignited and pops.
That noise is more of a byproduct of the way that the engine is tuned, rather than the design of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhhh okay that makes more sense so its due to the tune that was placed on the engine to run the cat deletes... Okay cool Thankyou

·
Registered
13 Posts
for me on my 04 GT, with off road x-pipe (no cats) and flowmasters, I had that crackle and it was loud--almost too loud, but I got tired of the drown sound going down the highway.
So i switched to Magnaflows made it a little quieter and it got rid of the drowning---but it also stopped the crackle sound too.

The Flowmasters are a chambered muffler and Magnaflows are a straight through design.
I'M actually thinking about putting the Flowmasters back on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts