Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on exhaust systems? I was planning on something compatible with long tube headers. Figured I'd order the whole set up at once. I like Pypes but have read that they're average at best. Flowmaster outlaws apparently only work with shortys.

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

-Morgan

·
Registered
860 Posts
What is the end goal for the car ?
Have a plan & a budget, make purchases to support the end goal.
Headers usually complement intake upgrades, the extra air has to go somewhere.
If there is a local tuner, that may be a good starting point..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad. I wasn't very specific. My end game is FBO on this one. I daily this car, but also lightly track it and do the occasional mexico runs from time to time.

I wanted to upgrade exhaust first, then do the Boss 302 intake and TB. For the tune, I was planning a Lund tune. There's just too many unreliable local tuners in Houston. That's why I want to go the Lund route. I've heard great things about Lund.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If Lund is your choice, go with it, he is not the only shop that sells " canned " tunes.
Not sure what " FBO " means ?
Have done ( 2 ) GT500's, - the 11 made 776w, the 14 was detuned to 780w, both ran custom tunes, stock bottom ends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are real nice. FBO just means full bolt on. I don't think I'm going to turbo or super charge mine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
" Usually ", a mid pipe from 1 mfg. will not bolt up to another Mfg.'s headers.
....................Pics are Kooks 1 3/4" LT's & Kooks " green " catted X pipe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Barrrom I would highly suggest getting a 2018 GT Intake Manifold its alot better than the boss 302 manifold. if you port the 2018 manifold it will make more hp and torque than all other intake manifolds pretty sure its slightly better than the cobra jet manifold as well. the boss 302 and cobra jet you will lose low end torque with the 2018 you wont lose any at all. Lund, VMP and AED are all great tuners for our mustangs. Also make sure your headers are ceramic coated this will lower the temperatures under the hood of the car this is better especially for your intake. Jet Hot is a well known and trusted company for ceramic coating of headers and pretty much anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've looked into 18 GT intakes... Do you think that would limit or hinder modding the engine further? What I mean is will it be more difficult say, if I upgraded the throttle body? The main reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on an intake is the low end torque loss you mention. Even the Cobra Jet has loss. But if I can get better gains, or less loss, on the 18 intake, without losing modding options, I'd like to go that route.

·
Registered
182 Posts
the 2018 gt intake manifold has 0 low end torque loss its the best of the all intakes especially for the price. I chose to get the 2018 manifold and had it ported so it makes more power than the cobra jet manifold. the boss 302 and 2018 gt manifold are the easiest to install, the 18 is by far better option than the 302 manifold. you would just have to email a few different companies like Lund or VMP and ask them if you would need a 2014 throttle body or a 2018 throttle body. you can use the stock or ported throttle bodies wont be any more difficult to install compared to stock TB. when you find out the answer which throttle body to install let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts