Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that the engine and exhaust note changes when adding a different lift cam. How does this compare to say a stock V8 note.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The v6 with a cam has a LOT more of a lopey idle. Sounds a lot louder due to the increase in air being pushed out the exhaust.

It still has the v6 tone to it, but sounds like a weak cammed v8.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Not raining on your parade, but you need to concentrate on the power and
take whatever exhaust note you get. Exhaust note is mostly determined
by the exhaust system, and if I ever get time I'm going to experiment on
getting a really deep, full, V8-like tone out of a hot V6 and a good exhaust
system. I have some ideas that have never been tried, but Warlock mufflers
are part of the system :D They make more HP than anything out there, uncapped.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Re: Explain how exhaust note is changed when changing the Ca

MusclesFromBrussels said:
It is my understanding that the engine and exhaust note changes when adding a different lift cam. How does this compare to say a stock V8 note.
I think what you mean is you want that lope idle that a old school V8 or 5.0 has. To do that you need a wild or radical cam. Most machine shops should be able to do that. Or, you can order one from places like SuperSixMotorsports or Morana V6 Racing.

But remember, a V6 will never sound like a V8. Like no other motorcycle sounds like a Harley.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Morana carries about 5 grinds (according to magazine article)
SSM has maybe 6 or so grinds (website)

I have basically unlimited # of grinds available, matched
to your setup. I don't try and fit anyone into a mold. Each
combo is different, and we can make a cam to match it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
RGR said:
Not raining on your parade, but you need to concentrate on the power and
take whatever exhaust note you get.
Beat me to it.

Get the most power you can, and it'll sound decent in the end because you'll be making better power.

184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not raining on any of ur guys power trip but i already know this and have no want of even changing the cam on my six. I was merely interested in the fact of the techincal aspect of how it changes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not raining on any of ur guys power trip but i already know this and have no want of even changing the cam on my six. I was merely interested in the fact of the techincal aspect of how it changes.
like i said...sounds like any cammed car. But with the tone of a v6. Its also overall louder because your moving a lot more air than you did stock. But your still missing 2 cylinders.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Man you need to hear my car with the 216/225 RPM cam at idle is louder and more lopey than a stock GT or 03 Cobra. I need a sound clip bad

184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya u do

·
Registered
567 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Man you need to hear my car with the 216/225 RPM cam at idle is louder and more lopey than a stock GT or 03 Cobra. I need a sound clip bad
oh believe me, mine sounds sweet as hell too. I need a video of it so bad.

But it will always sound like a 6 when revved. A MEAN 6 yes, but a 6 none the less.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No, you're not. Because if you had any idea about what you were talking about, you wouldn't add in "technical aspect" as if there is a lot of science behind your pointless newbie question. Comparing /any/ v6 to a v8 no matter the cam is a stupid, newbie like thing to do. No power trip, just trying to make you realize your v6 is and will only be a v6 and won't sound like a v8, ever. Stop hating on everyone that doesn't smile and agree with whatever you happen to be saying at the time.

/rant

*man it's nice not being a moderator on this site! :D

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
My real problem with people is there need to be followers. Everyone says get Flows !! Get Flows well Flows sound good at Idle but a crusing speed they sound nothing like a V8 and in the upper RPMs they sound awful. You go over to 3.8 and they have a bunch of goobers that say get Spintech !! Get Spintech well spintech sound good at lower to mid rpm but start make a awful sound at high RPMs also.

Here is the deal any muffler with baffles or deflectors in it is going to sound deep at low speed and low RPM but as you get up to Highway speed they start to drone and then buzz. If is just in the way chambered mufflers are designed. The exception is MAC Flowpath

Now get to flowthru design with no tricky baffles or deflectors to manipulate sound waves and cause unneccessary backpressure. Magnaflows, Dynomax Ultra flows and Borla have nothing but packing in there mufflers to deaden the sound. They will never drone and with a car with a Blower, Turbo or a Na car flowing more air will give you a bigger sound simply because of the extra air flow.

So no you might never sound like a V8 throught the entire RPM range but you can get close. Do you remember the Buicks when they were still in Nascar running V6 motors They did sound pretty good!!!!

I did not write this to creat hate just the facts ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
hey I like my flowmasters. They sound mean with all the new work. Idle they sound awesome. Up top they get the 6er tone but still are loud and roaring.

Ask Keith on V6p(Flamingpony) how good my car sounds from a roll :D

there is no real techincal aspect to sounding like a v8. A cam will lope more, exhaust will change the tone, but your still missing 2 cylinders in the engine and thus will never sound like an 8.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I am sure you do like your Flows as do the other 8 million people that have them. Almost every V6 that has duals I run into have Flows. Every muffler shop has them so I am quite familiar with them!!! I had 40's for 3 days and could not wait to get the noisy bastards off. I dont like chambred mufflers they dont sound real. But after hearing a few with flowpath I do like them more than the rest.

Young people like noisy more than power that is why young kids by fart cannons period to be loud.I hear and read it all the time on every V6 board "" WHAT IS THE LOUDEST MUFFLER I CAN GET "" I just wish they gave out ear plugs with every purchase of loud ass mufflers!!! I only like real loud on the track. Besides if you are counting HP gains flow thru are just better. Magnaflow, Dynomax and Borla are always at the top of any HP chart. The only thing with borla is they were designed for V8's and unless you are runnin Big NA power or power adder they tend to be ricey

·
Registered
567 Posts
most mufflers on a 6 sound like ass though.

Borla, Sintech, Magnapacks...they are all designed for the v8, and on a 6 their just plain shitty.

Flow's atleast have a decent sound to them. As do flowpaths, magnaflows, and GT/Mach 1/etc mufflers. Id prefer a good sounding, not deafening loud car to a obnoxiously loud-ass sounding car.

I just like flow's, especially on 5.0's. I guess that just me. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Cool you can like flows. They actually sound beter on 99+ than 94-98 because the 99+ stock system sounds like ass. Just kind of wheezes. 96-98 especially have a nice tone to start with stock I believe because of the D shaped exhaust ports on 96-98 heads

1 - 20 of 33 Posts