Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 mustang gt 5 speed. Sometimes when shifting its like hitting a brick wall, i have to muscle it into gear. I tried adjusting my clutch cable (its stock) with no success. And this may or may not be related but when im in second gear and gun it i can feel something like the engine lifting up. Where do i start to find my solution ? And on a side note, my rear drivers side wheel squeeks constantly as a drive. I took the wheel off and checked the brake pads but there is plenty life left on them. The squeeking quiets down a little bit when i press the brake pedal. Any help is always appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Check motor and transmission mounts.

Squeaking is hard to diagnose over the internet. Does it increase/decrease with vehicle speed?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would start with the mounts I had the same issue on my GT , came to find out all those times spent slamming in 2nd and fourth gear took a toll on my transmission mount. Almost no rubber was in sight lol. With the brake squeak I have the same thing it drives me insane, it could be you have either a small rock or debris inside the pad.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
my rear wheel squeak was a bent axle....speed sensitive would go away with brake use. very quiet. +1 on looking at something in dust shield I've had that but it was a grind. lube caliper pins..

·
Registered
276 Posts
my rear wheel squeak was a bent axle....speed sensitive would go away with brake use. very quiet. +1 on looking at something in dust shield I've had that but it was a grind. lube caliper pins..
I still don't know which wheel is squeaking lol, I only hear it when im driving next to the curb XD I hope it's not an axle I will get into it this weekend. :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The squeeking does increase with speed. And im not exactly sure where the motor mounts are located. Or how many their are.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should have a pic in the chiltons right? Im pulling it into the garage in a little bit to start at it

1998 Mustang Gt 5 speed

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Chiltons is a repair manual.

IMO, the job is doable for the well motivated slightly above average shade tree mechanic. Some of the areas will be difficult to work in. Take it slow. You will need to lift the motor, probably remove the starter, etc. Use the manual.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Chiltons is a repair manual.

IMO, the job is doable for the well motivated slightly above average shade tree mechanic. Some of the areas will be difficult to work in. Take it slow. You will need to lift the motor, probably remove the starter, etc. Use the manual.
Ahh lol I've never used one of those in my life.. haha

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Not as good as FSM's, but they are a great learning tool for someone just getting into working on their own cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts