Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am heading down to a local mustang shop that does installs. I have found a lot of the parts I want online, so I know what they cost. What I don't know is what I can expect to pay for installs. I don't want to go in there tomorrow not having a clue what fair pricing is for this kind of work.

If anyone out there owns a shop or knows what the going rates are, please give me some ballpark rates for the following installs:

1. Ford T-Lok Diff-I still can't believe they make cars driven by only
one wheel.

2. 3.73 Rear End Gear Set-can this be done by itself or should it be done
along with the T-Lok Diff install?

3. Exhaust Installs-I found a GT takeout for $150, which sounds like
a good deal to me. It's not so great of a deal if it cost a ton to install it.

3. Springs- Springs are not expensive at all and I would look to do this
upgrade pretty soon if installs are cheap too.

4. Underdrive Pulley-I have not found an install guide online for my model year
(2002) so I am not sure if I can do this mod myself.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jason

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The gears and T lok should be installed at the same time, i think it runs about 200-400 for install on that.
THe exhaust it dependes where you go, for a take off system id say 80-100 install?? not sure on that
Springs aren't hard to install yourself... heres a how to- http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/steedaspring1.htm
and the underdrive pulley should come with instructions on how to install it but my friend had one put on a '00 for $45 at a local shop.
Hope that helps some, others will chime in

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info 01mineralgrey6. I'm gonna pick up a Haynes manual this weekend and see if I can do the spring install myself using the manual and the article you pointed out. I might be able to install the underdrive pulley too with the help of the manual. I guess I should go out and get some tools.

As for pricing, we'll see what this shop is asking for some of these installs. I feel better about it now that I have an idea what it will cost.

Jason

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
ill install your springs for a very good price :)

gears/tlok - 200+

exhaust 50-100

pulley - 30 bucks~

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer SpectorV. I would like to take you up on that as long as I can help. I want to learn as much as I can and the best way (for me) is to get in there with someone who knows what they are doing and help them out.

How long does it take to install springs? You are only a few hours from here and if the install is not that complex we could do it on a Saturday or Sunday.
I can have the springs in a few weeks.

How does that sound?

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
akira01 said:
3. Exhaust Installs-I found a GT takeout for $150, which sounds like
a good deal to me. It's not so great of a deal if it cost a ton to install it.
That's WAY too much IMO. I just got mine off e-bay for 100 plus shipping so I think it was 130 total. Just watch ebay, you'll see some good deals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How hard is it to install "bolt on" exhaust systems? I read an article here that seems to think this is an easy install. It does not, however, tall the novice how to remove the old exhaist.

I always thought you had to weld exhausts on to ensure a good seal between the pipes.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
sure you can help no problem i have done about 10+ spring installs and you can ask brent its not that hard, you can probably do it your self.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I could, but since this is the first time I have ever worked on a car it can't hurt to get some help from someone who knows what they are doing. Tools are an issue too. I have not bought any tools yet mainly because I don't know what to get.

I would not mind one bit paying you to help me out. Once I get a few assisted installs under my belt I might start doing things solo. Besides, it is always more fun working with someone else.

I'll let you know when I get my hands on some springs and we can schedule a time for me to come down there.

Jason

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
sure sounds good, i just got me a nice tool set from sears (craftsman brand has a life time warranty if you break a tool they replace it so its well worth it) mine was not to much money and you will have all the tools you will need to do most anything you feel comfortable with.

i start to school this wed. when will you have the springs? i will know a few days before if i am free on a sunday or saturday night thats about the only time i have during school semesters :( just let me know and i can get back to you this first week at school wont be so bad probably.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking maybe a month from now I can have them. I'm in no hurry though. After I get them I can wait until you have some free time. I would hate for you to spend the one free day a week you have working on my car.

I'll let you know when they come in. Then we can plan for me to come down there when it fits your schedule.

Jason

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
akira01 said:
I'm thinking maybe a month from now I can have them. I'm in no hurry though. After I get them I can wait until you have some free time. I would hate for you to spend the one free day a week you have working on my car.

I'll let you know when they come in. Then we can plan for me to come down there when it fits your schedule.

Jason
Brandon(spectorV) knows what he is doing. He installed my springs and then I helped(sorta lol) him install the springs on Blownsix's car. I could do it myself now. Its really easy you just got to see someone do it

·
Registered
106 Posts
01mineralgrey6 said:
:lol: i have always said that since i read it
yeah...I used that How-To when I put mine in, and everything was german torqued when the car was put back together

·
Registered
106 Posts
kaper232 said:
We need more Indiana people on the boards, so I can get help with installs...

If you know how to install gears and a tlok...come on down to Jasper :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts