Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post over here to see if I got better assistance than over at 3.8...
Anyways, I just recently put some new Bv heads, upper and lower intakes, and cam among other things on my car (did myself)
I also put some 19# injectors on, but my chip hasnt come in the mail yet so my car is running real rich. (normal injectors are 14#)
I havnt driven it very uch at all, but I did take her a few miles today. My biggest concern is the fact that it has no power at low rpms in 5th gear (I lose speed at full throttle) and its not much better in 4th... My question is, is this because of the injectors or is it something worse???

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I have limited knowledge in this, but after that kind of work and new injectors, it will probably run like crap until you get a tune or your chip in

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
98GreenStallion said:
I thought I would post over here to see if I got better assistance than over at 3.8...
Anyways, I just recently put some new Bv heads, upper and lower intakes, and cam among other things on my car (did myself)
I also put some 19# injectors on, but my chip hasnt come in the mail yet so my car is running real rich. (normal injectors are 14#)
I havnt driven it very uch at all, but I did take her a few miles today. My biggest concern is the fact that it has no power at low rpms in 5th gear (I lose speed at full throttle) and its not much better in 4th... My question is, is this because of the injectors or is it something worse???

Thanks for any help!
I wouldnt worry yet, wait for the chip to come in and then try itout. I would bet its do to the injectors flooding your engine with gas it cant burn

·
Registered
187 Posts
make sure you get that chip soon or just lay off the wot for a while. if you give it too much gas you could get puddling and that is bad for the pistons.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Did you change your MAF? If not you're definately going to need to change that. I would recommend a GT MAF , a Lightning MAF or something. That won't make your car run right, but it'll allow for a better tune. What kind of chip did you get? If it's not SCT, it's not worth getting. What kinda of cam did you get? And are you single or split port? And finally, even though it's not required, please fill in the location section of your profile so we know where you live. If you live in SC, I could possibly help you out.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hey Rob, just looked at his public profile, had a link to cardomain...hes waiting on a SCT chip..
[copy/paste]
RPM BV heads w/3 angle valve job and some major porting
RPM cut and weld upper intake
RPM fully ported lower intake
RPM modified 60mm throttlebody
RPM 216/225 cam
RPM timing set
Harland sharp adjustable roller rockers
All new gaskets and oil seal
25% UDP
Ebay CAI
Custom true dual exhaust w/2.25 pipes from stock headers which are welded onto some spintech prostreet mufflers and come outta some chrome 3 inch tails.
Awaiting: SCT chip so that it runs smoothly again!
[copy/paste]
maybe that will help ya figure out what his problem may be?its a single port btw

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well the tune will for sure make his car run better, but it also looks like he's still got his cats. That's a big no no. When I removed my cats I picked up around 40more horsepower. It's not because of that "mod" it's because my cats were clogged and my car couldn't breathe. But now it can. I went from 168rwhp to 218rwhp, so almost like 50 I guess. But I did change my cam, upper intake a TB in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Same thing happend to Corey his cats got clogged aswell, and had a good jump in horsepower when he got rid of 'em. Running rich basically dumps raw fuel(fuel thats not burning) to the cats which can clog them up fairly quickly. maybe that could be his problem also:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well i say there is to major problems with his car 1. running rich is always very bad for hp and gas mileage. 2. cats, ya they're for the enviroment and all, but screw that, hp is more important than the enviroment. :D If someone is seriously concerned about the enviroment, you could always get some high flow cats then. Being enviromently friendly is expensive though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
97Stallion said:
Being enviromently friendly is expensive though.

Getting caught not being enviromentally friendly can cost you $10,000 per violation.

Be friendly, it's cheaper in the long run. And it's way cooler to whip someone's butt in an emissions legal car than to hack and slash your ride to put togther an abortion that runs fast, but that's all it does.

Reminds me of the time I got into a race with an Iroc Z, I'd tell the story but it's not at the track.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Ponycarman said:
Getting caught not being enviromentally friendly can cost you $10,000 per violation.

Be friendly, it's cheaper in the long run. And it's way cooler to whip someone's butt in an emissions legal car than to hack and slash your ride to put togther an abortion that runs fast, but that's all it does.

Reminds me of the time I got into a race with an Iroc Z, I'd tell the story but it's not at the track.

Steve
I would definately advise people with air teams and the such to definately be enviromentally friendly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
woa! Thanks for all the replys yall, alot of useful stuff!

Yes I am gettand SCT chip, Ive already paid for it, Im going to get my computer code tomorrow to send to mik so he can finish my chip up.
Im betting it is running like that because of the injectors too. We will know some time next week I guess.
Another concern of mine is that when you first turn the car on, the passenger side pipe has alot of white smoke and what seems to be alot of condensation spitting out of it for say the first 10 minuets, then it and the smoke completely quit. ANy ideas on that??>

Oh and Im from west texas! near Lubbock

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
no problem, I like helping other people out. The white smoke could just be normal. How's the weather by you now, it it cold, snowy, anything like that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
97Stallion said:
no problem, I like helping other people out. The white smoke could just be normal. How's the weather by you now, it it cold, snowy, anything like that?
last week it was really rainy and kinda cold (above freezing) and I didnt start it alot during that weather, so it went a good 2 days without being started because of the weather. Thats when it was worse the first time I started it. Though we havnt had any bad weather the last few days and the temp is around 50-60 when Ive started it and I still get alot of white smoke (only outta passenger side pipe) for the first 10 minuets or so. Another thing Ive noticed is that the passenger side muffler has a much louder deeper lopy sound to it and the other is quieter with less lopyness, could this be due to clogged cats?? In which, Ill be getting LT headers and h-pipe w/ high flows before toooo much longer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Do you have true duals, or an h-pipe? it sounds like you have a lot of moisture built up in your exhaust. I'm going to assume you just have straight true duals because the smoke is only coming out of one tail pipe. I think you need new cats for sure. if you're running as rich as you say you are, and your cats being 6+ years old, it's a good possiblility that they're somewhat clogged. First thing first, you need to get that chip in asap!! then go from there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chip came in today! We will see what the car does when I finish putting the eec back in tomorrow...

is the chip in right? I ceaned the connection with a 100 grit sand paper then wiped it with a rag and alcohol... so hopefully everythings good.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I sure hope that you went very lightly with the sandpaper!! I would have used a scotch brite pad. If you car starts, ten you installed the chip correctly. Also, did you use some duct tape to hold the chip the EEC?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts