Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after testing the battery the mechanic said it was fine, no battery light for 2 weeks & starts up fine. Driving on the highway today and battery light came on and stayed on. When applying the brakes the battery light would go off and then come back on..so flashing battery light now. I'm assuming its either a loose belt or the alternator on it way out. I'm thinking it has to be in the charging system where it's failing.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Sounds about right, or regulator. Any parts store can test all those things free of charge. :good:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do the voltage regulator and alternator run for prices? And labor charges I know everywhere is different just trying to get an idea.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
It's probably gonna be your alt. Not sure on prices. It's located in a very easy place, just replace it yourself

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably gonna be your alt. Not sure on prices. It's located in a very easy place, just replace it yourself
I have someone that can do it for me for free but I don't know how soon they can do it and idk how long the alternator will last. Have to drive 60 miles every day to school so not trying to push it.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
If it is the alt it will leave you on the side of the road in a hurry...

·
Registered
720 Posts
An alternator is around 130-150 new (I think), and less for a rebuilt one. And if I'm not mistaken, the voltage regulator is inside of it, so either way you have to buy an alternator. I don't think the swap should be too difficult, the hardest part is the belt.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Yeah so going to have to pay for labor costs and will fix tomorrow.
it's such a simple swap though...basic hand tools is all you need. i did mine in a parking lot in the dark lol using my cell phone for light :good:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill see if my dad can help me lol, where can I just buy an alternator though? Through like ford or what?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had alternator and battery tested. My alternator is testing 14.26V no load and then under load it tested 14.17V. Battery voltage was 12.75V and measured at 504 CCA and supposed to be 610 CCA ..which is good but not perfect. But the problem is the starter which the voltage was 11.32V but at start-up fell down to 7.9 amps so low cranking amps. So I guess the battery light is jus an idiot light lol.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had the same issue, sometimes the alternator is failing and sometimes it works as it should. Mine tested fine but further testing then it show it was failing at times.. Been replace as we speak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts