Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new but I'm on my second Mustang. I've got a '97 GT and was wondering if anyone could throw me some advice.

When I'm at a light or at idle in general my RPMs start to fluctuate a little and she jerks a little. The same type of "jerk" happens just below 2000 or sometimes if the throttle is in a certain position. In addition to that, there is also a strange noise at higher RPMs, but I'm not sure how to describe this noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, here she is by the way...

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
The fluctuation could be mass air sensor....but since it does it at other rpms under steady throttle, check out the throttle position sensor. Also, has it thrown a code, is there a check engine light on or any indicator on in the cluster? The higher rpm noise....without a description now way of knowing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The check engine light is on and I need to check the code. But it isn't on constantly, sometimes it will go off and then a day or two later it will cut back on...
Thanks for the advice by the way.

If it was the throttle sensor or the mass air sensor would it cause the car to run weak? The amount of power I get out of it is severely weak compared to what it should be and what it was not too long ago. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm not very knowledgeable about cars...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes it/they will. Anything that affects the car's ecu will affact the power output.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had my throttle position sensor go out on me before, symptons I had were idle hang at 2k and only way to get it to stop was to shut the car off. If you're cruising with steady speed and feel a jerk or slight hesitation then you definitely have a miss fire.

Taken from experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts