Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've been posting a lot. I have several parts to go on here. When I get frustrated with one, I box and bag, and try the next! Workin good so far. Ive taken all compressor/condenser off as one. Question one: is there any other way than a sawsall to get the copper pipe from the firewall to let me do what I want? Question two: how do these relocation brackets exactly work? Appreciate any input as always guys!

Attachments

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
The bracket will just bolt to the head. I attached a pic so you can see. The other bracket goes on the water pump bolts.

As for the tubes on the firewall, you may have to take the dash apart to physically remove them. That's why everyone just cuts them off. If you go to the auto parts store you can find these fancy little rubber caps so it doesn't look crappy. But I would get the caps first so you don't cut them to short.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Unless you live in a moderately temperate climate or are building a race only car, I wouldn't remove the AC. At some point you will wish you hadn't and buying all the parts new is prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took all my ac off as one piece(except that copper line...lol!) I keep ALL my old parts. Almost there. School M-TH and work F-SAT leaves my time stranded. My wife was helpin me buy she went to get my daughters. Were gonna make it a family thing!;)

Attachments

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I took all my ac off as one piece(except that copper line...lol!) I keep ALL my old parts. Almost there. School M-TH and work F-SAT leaves my time stranded. My wife was helpin me buy she went to get my daughters. Were gonna make it a family thing!;)
Be sure you plug and cap off any and all hoses and fittings on the compressor if you ever plan to use them again.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts store only had a 73 1/2" belt and a 72 5/8. Big one was too big. Purdy sure the small one is too small? Whines like a gear drive timing and overheats. Am I halfass right or do I have deeper problems?:headpalm

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
91notchback said:
Parts store only had a 73 1/2" belt and a 72 5/8. Big one was too big. Purdy sure the small one is too small? Whines like a gear drive timing and overheats. Am I halfass right or do I have deeper problems?:headpalm
1/8 different shouldnt be , one big and one small. :confused:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dreamstang said:
1/8 different shouldnt be , one big and one small. :confused:
Wouldn't that be a 1/4 inch? Or are you goin an 1/8 to the side? Not playin math games, just tryin to figure where I f**ed up. Don't know a lot about belt differences.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
91notchback said:
Wouldn't that be a 1/4 inch? Or are you goin an 1/8 to the side? Not playin math games, just tryin to figure where I f**ed up. Don't know a lot about belt differences.
oh sorry. i thought you said 73 5/8 . i would try another auto parts store. sometimes different stores carry different lengths.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea man. They said they ordered 73" and these are the options I was given when I got there... Man! It sure sounded good till till that temp gauge started climbing. Haven't heard it in over a month! Thanks for answering before I had a chance to drive myself crazy dream!

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
91notchback said:
Yea man. They said they ordered 73" and these are the options I was given when I got there... Man! It sure sounded good till till that temp gauge started climbing. Haven't heard it in over a month! Thanks for answering before I had a chance to drive myself crazy dream!
yeah they come in wierd sizes. but like i said i have had that issue and went to a different aout store and was able to find an in between size. im not positive thats your overheating issue but i would definitly make sure you have the right belt.

and your welcome.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
91notchback said:
By the way: I also eliminated my egr. Not that it would cause the problem I'm having, just to clear this part up.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
By the way: I also eliminated my egr. Not that it would cause the problem I'm having, just to clear this part up.
Are you referring to the overheating?
Maybe the belt is slipping on the water pump drive pulley or you have it turning backwards?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trojan Horse said:
Are you referring to the overheating?
Maybe the belt is slipping on the water pump drive pulley or you have it turning backwards?
Do you mean with the ribbed side out? I put it flat side out. I'm gonna take a look at it today when I get off work. It got dark on me last night.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Do you mean with the ribbed side out? I put it flat side out. I'm gonna take a look at it today when I get off work. It got dark on me last night.
Yes the ribbed side out. The flat side usually drives the water pump pulley. Take a picture of the belt installed so we can ensure it is on correctly and turning the pump in the right direction. With the pump being driven by the flat side of the belt you also need to have a considerable amount of contact area so it does not slip.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is my belt setup. I questioned the belt coming together at the tensioner. I thought it wasn't going to get hot just now but it rocketed up to 3/4 of the gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered a 73" belt and they presented a 72 5/8" belt... Real nice guys!!lol Is the belt supposed to run together at the tensioner? Will a belt that's too tight cause worries? Just thinkin out loud here...:confused

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
91notchback said:
I ordered a 73" belt and they presented a 72 5/8" belt... Real nice guys!!lol Is the belt supposed to run together at the tensioner? Will a belt that's too tight cause worries? Just thinkin out loud here...:confused
I forget the exact, but I wanna say there should be about 1/2" of deflection in the belt in the longest straight path.

Usually if its to tight, yes it can wear bearings. But most likely if it was to tight then you wouldnt get it on.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Here is my belt setup. I questioned the belt coming together at the tensioner. I thought it wasn't going to get hot just now but it rocketed up to 3/4 of the gauge.
You have to be careful at that point and make sure the belt does not rub against itself at the tensioner, there is not much room for error.

Are you sure you got all of the air out of the cooling system?
Sounds like it may have some in it yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts