Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was on a late night run and noticed something. My car goes 115 on a stock tune. I could squeeze 120 out of it but I got scared.( Gas didn't cut out)

Now what I'm really pondering on, if and when I put gears in sometime this year, would I be out closer or farther away from the 113 mph limit. I know we recalibrate with the tuner but I'm looking at it as far as the force on the driveshaft, is it the same or will it be altered?

Pic I captured (yes I know, hazard) but its proof that mine goes beyond the supposed 113.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
When I had my 2012 I know i hit 115mph stock one time thats why I thought it was weird that they say its limited to 113mph.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I posted this in a thread somewhere... At any given speed, you're turning more rpms on the driveshaft with shorter gears. Now, it doesn't really matter until you get into 5th and 6th gears. In 4th, the engine rpm is the driveshaft rpm (that gear is 1:1).

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted this in a thread somewhere... At any given speed, you're turning more rpms on the driveshaft with shorter gears. Now, it doesn't really matter until you get into 5th and 6th gears. In 4th, the engine rpm is the driveshaft rpm (that gear is 1:1).
I knew we all talked about it but won't gears put more a stress on the shaft. Not at a cruising speed per say but having fun with it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I knew we all talked about it but won't gears put more a stress on the shaft. Not at a cruising speed per say but having fun with it.
No. If anything gears make it easier to do work on the tires since the gears are a torque multiplier in the rear diff.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. If anything gears make it easier to do work on the tires since the gears are a torque multiplier in the rear diff.
Excuse my ignorance on the matter. But when I read torque multiplier, I think harder work. Or are you saying the shorter gears make the work easier by multiplying the load for less

·
Registered
744 Posts
Whitelightning said:
Yes with shorter gears your DS is going to be spinning quicker. With 3.73 gears and stock DS I wouldn't go over the stock limiter.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes with shorter gears your DS is going to be spinning quicker. With 3.73 gears and stock DS I wouldn't go over the stock limiter.
What I'm thinking is at those speeds, would it be spinning faster than the speed of the 113 mph. Which btw, what gears were in when those shafts blew. Lets say you go 130. Would it be spinning at the speed of the legendary 135 mph and snap or no? It you get what I'm saying.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Ok I was on a late night run and noticed something. My car goes 115 on a stock tune. I could squeeze 120 out of it but I got scared.( Gas didn't cut out)

Now what I'm really pondering on, if and when I put gears in sometime this year, would I be out closer or farther away from the 113 mph limit. I know we recalibrate with the tuner but I'm looking at it as far as the force on the driveshaft, is it the same or will it be altered?

Pic I captured (yes I know, hazard) but its proof that mine goes beyond the supposed 113.
One time on the closed freeway i was driving on i hit 125 i could do it again if i honestly wanted to but don't wanna try my luck again. Im on a Bamma tune tho! I thought they left the governor on if i don't have a new DS

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I recall one of the Video's of the drive Shaft breaking was around 120 on the dyno, he had 3.73 gears also and it was on Deceleration.
The weakness is the Harmonics the Metal gives off, certain RPM on the drive shaft gives off the harmonics that weakens the metal causing it to break. 1 of the reasons you want a Drive shaft Balanced at a higher RPM, but Balancing at load stress are a completely different animal.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One time on the closed freeway i was driving on i hit 125 i could do it again if i honestly wanted to but don't wanna try my luck again. Im on a Bamma tune tho! I thought they left the governor on if i don't have a new DS
It's an option

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recall one of the Video's of the drive Shaft breaking was around 120 on the dyno, he had 3.73 gears also and it was on Deceleration.
The weakness is the Harmonics the Metal gives off, certain RPM on the drive shaft gives off the harmonics that weakens the metal causing it to break. 1 of the reasons you want a Drive shaft Balanced at a higher RPM, but Balancing at load stress are a completely different animal.
I'm not worried about the video. I'm wondering what ford says the shaft will break at and what gear ratio did they use to confirm this. I'm getting 3.55 and I plan on traveling these speeds at times.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
It's an option
No its actually not. They will enable it or disable it if u say u do or do not have a stock DS check the tune question list.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

I'm not worried about the video. I'm wondering what ford says the shaft will break at and what gear ratio did they use to confirm this. I'm getting 3.55 and I plan on traveling these speeds at times.
Just get a custom drive shaft made. Me n my buddy are getting ones made for us. 300 for us

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
No its actually not. They will enable it or disable it if u say u do or do not have a stock DS check the tune question list.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Just get a custom drive shaft made. Me n my buddy are getting ones made for us. 300 for us
Do you trust someone to just make it? I would think spending double that from American Muscle may be worth it. You know AM is going to sell top quality driveshaft that fits perfect.

·
Registered
744 Posts
2011 Kona Blue said:
Do you trust someone to just make it? I would think spending double that from American Muscle may be worth it. You know AM is going to sell top quality driveshaft that fits perfect.
+1000

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Do i trust someone who builds 900HP engines for a daily job....yes, yes i do. I trust him with my car and all my friends trust him with their cars. He's worked for ford, chevy, audi and private contracting for the military all being a mechanic fixing and rebuilding engines and everything else that makes the tires move.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Don't have a tuner bud.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Do i trust someone who builds 900HP engines for a daily job....yes, yes i do. I trust him with my car and all my friends trust him with their cars. He's worked for ford, chevy, audi and private contracting for the military all being a mechanic fixing and rebuilding engines and everything else that makes the tires move.
Great for you. Ill spend my money on the people who sponsor this.

Also I forgot to add, if they ask do you have a stock shaft or not as to the limiter; that means its an option technically.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Don't have a tuner bud.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Great for you. Ill spend my money on the people who sponsor this.

Also I forgot to add, if they ask do you have a stock shaft or not as to the limiter; that means its an option technically.
If the limiter was a option then it would have its own drop down menu id assume

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
That's cool bro. Your fortunate to have someone like that who you know and trust they will make a great solid driveshaft that will withstand speeds of 135 plus. For me and maybe others here on the forum don't have someone they know who can trust to do that. I just don't know someone who can make them. Maybe your buddy will make me a one piece aluminum driveshaft for my 11 pony and mail it to me. 300 is a great price for a great quality one piece aluminum driveshaft.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts