Mustang Evolution Forum banner

For road racing or autocross: do suspension mods make much of a difference?

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Arustik 
#1 ·
I know they make a difference, but is the difference significant enough to be worth the money?

Does anyone have any lap times to post before and after a suspension upgrade?

I'm looking at something like the Ford Racing kit with shocks, springs, sway bars.

#3 ·
+1^ I don't have lap times unfortunately, but a spring upgrade on my car helped reduce nose dive and made it a but tighter in the turns. Then I swapped to an IRS and set my alignment specs to give me a bit more toe out and that helped greatly with turn in and steering response in a turn. I haven't made a trip out since my latest batch of upgrades though

Sent from my XT1030 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#7 ·
#9 ·
As stated, the tires are going to make the biggest difference. Simply swapping from the all weather to summer series will be a huge change. The biggest handling issue that I had with the stock mustang GT suspension was with body roll, dive, and the horrible tendency to understeer.
This can largely be fixed with a good set of shocks. I swapped Koni Yellows into mine, took it out to an improvised skid pad and dialed it in on the new tires. Makes a WORLD of difference.
I was envisioning having to change the front or rear sway bar but I am holding off for now.
The overall characteristics are very well balanced now and I am leaving it alone.

For the record, these changes can be made while remaining in F-Stock SCCA class.

-Static

#10 ·
I'm trying to keep the car daily-driverable, so I'm avoiding summer tires. But, the body roll, dive, and understeer is really annoying since my last car was a Genesis Coupe so I got spoiled by the incredible handling.

So you changed the shocks but kept the stock springs?

#12 ·
That is correct.

The stock spring rates are actually not bad. The problem is that the stock shocks are way too soft. Great for road trips and that Cadillac feel, not so great for autocross or road racing type applications. The Koni Yellows on the softest setting are much more positive and help a TON.
I run them like that for daily driving and they are just fine. At the track I have settings that are a lot harder. It is possible to go too hard though and the spring will not be able to return to its neutral position fast enough if you tighten these down too much. The trick is finding that line or going to different rate springs.

-Static

#14 ·
Maximum Motorsports answers emails and the phone. Contact them with any questions.
LINK:
Suspension
If on a "budget", although all suspension set-ups are very expensive.
For me- I want a superb handling car for safety and spirited driving. Basically, I just lowered the cars I have. I believe that I have done it the right way. I have a SN95, a '97 coupe & a '96 Cobra.
I just lowered them both, thats all. Parts list:
springs, shocks/struts, caster camber plates, X2 balljoints, bumpsteer kit.
Thats the most simple suspension upgrade to do but the results are unbelievable.
Good Luck! Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.