Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be taking my mustang in for a check up and one small fix, but I wanna know from all you guys if you take your mustangs to a ford mechanic or to your neighborhood friendly mechanic. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Good luck with picking a shop man I got screwed over going to local shops cause they are not experts and charge a lot I am bringing mine to a mustang specialty shop for work that I can't do myself of course

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,669 Posts
Not all shops rip you off. You have to find the right one. The shop I use is part of our local forum and are great people. They are a husband,wife and son team that love and race mustangs. ****........her sn95 is a 1400whp beast. Just do your research when looking for a shop,

·
Registered
582 Posts
I remember I used the ford dealership services once only because I kept failing inspection. Tech I didn't fail but my "all readiness test" kept denying me. My car would always reset its mileage on it because the "battery was weak" and wouldn't remember how many miles I put on. And a ground wire to the PCU was broken off and was tryna charge me $350. Spend more money then I could. I luckily knew what I was talking about and charged me $150. Plus I bought a battery for $60 and ford installed it for free lol

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
I don't use mechanics, do it yourself. What better time to learn than now?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't use mechanics, do it yourself. What better time to learn than now?
Yea sorry, I don't learn on MY 35,000 dollar car. On topic, I use LaMotta performance exclusively for major upgrades. The small stuff like oil changes I just go to ford. They're Using genuine OE parts (obviously) for a good price near me.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Price shouldn't matter working on cars unless its like an LFA or lambo and cars like that lol. For even a new mustang working on parts like oil changes, suspension, exhaust and other bolt ons is fairly easy even one with little knowledge. When going into engine work then I would reccomend a shop.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
ThinBlueLine said:
Yea sorry, I don't learn on MY 35,000 dollar car. On topic, I use LaMotta performance exclusively for major upgrades. The small stuff like oil changes I just go to ford. They're Using genuine OE parts (obviously) for a good price near me.
Then deal with getting screwed...simple as that.
Anyone that pays for someone to change their oil obviously doesn't mind...

A car is all nuts and bolts, it's just about learning which ones go where. Really not that difficult.

By the way...I learned alot on MY 20k mile 03 Cobra

·
Registered
196 Posts
Then deal with getting screwed...simple as that.
Anyone that pays for someone to change their oil obviously doesn't mind...

A car is all nuts and bolts, it's just about learning which ones go where. Really not that difficult.

By the way...I learned alot on MY 20k mile 03 Cobra
Well I live in an apartment complex that won't allow working on the car. So there goes that. I would change my own oil if it wasn't for that. Not to mention the cost of doing it yourself isn't much cheaper than my dealer. A few bucks.

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
ThinBlueLine said:
Well I live in an apartment complex that won't allow working on the car. So there goes that. I would change my own oil if it wasn't for that. Not to mention the cost of doing it yourself isn't much cheaper than my dealer. A few bucks.
That makes sense then. I used to fight with the mgr at apartments all the time for that.

Ask some local guys who they recommend, probably your best bet

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just had $6,500.00 done on my Mustang after an MVA.

I went OEM, straight to Ford. Dealership styles. I think, for that kind of work, you want to go to a Ford mechanic/body shop.

For minor stuff, etc, I'd suggest doing like this; get a mechanic and take your time about it... take all the care and concern you'd take looking for a wife or husband, because your mechanic is almost as important!

If you have a reliable shop, trusted mechanic, and a reputation with that buisness, I'd totally go that route as Stealerships love to screw you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts