Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is something that I found on the net. I have no idea if there is any truth to it but...

The power of Voodoo?

Don’t get too used to the snarling Coyote, though, because it may not be around for too long. The upcoming*2016 Mach 1 is rumored to have an all new V8 known as ‘Voodoo’. In the Mach 1, with the help of forced induction, this engine might put out as much as 650 horsepower.

The upcoming 2016 Mach 1 is rumored to have an all new V8 known as ‘Voodoo’.
The real secret behind the Voodoo’s power is its radical block architecture, with a 180 degree crankshaft. Ferrari has used these flat plane V8s since the 1970s, due to their improved power and throttle response. But dealing with vibration makes 180-degree V8s tricky to engineer. If this is what Ford goes to, it should be interesting to see.

If Ford does in fact move to the Voodoo V8, it is likely to replace all applications in which Ford currently uses the Coyote. While the Voodoo should be an improvement over the ‘Coyote’, the real reason for replacement is cost. The ‘Coyote’ shares its architecture with Jaguar’s 5.0-liter V8 (remember when Ford owned Jaguar?). As such, the current 5.0 V8 is both complicated and expensive to produce.

That might be okay for Jaguar, which, as a small market automaker, competes on quality more over price. Ford, though, needs to sell a lot of Mustangs. That means that it is looking to retire the Coyote much sooner than it normally might.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have read quite a bit about this new new 5.2L V8 code named Voodoo, with a flat crank. However, it will be only featured in N/A GT350s, with estimated power levels to be around 575-600 HP/430-450 Tq.

Who knows if ford is going to pull out a Voodoo bunny in 2016, just like they did in 2011. Merely an year after new body style albeit same engine lineup was introduced in 2010.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put these rumors of a flat plane crank domestic V8 right up there with the S550 losing significant weight vs the S197 and the "next" Corvette becoming mid-engined.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Be careful copy and pasting internet stuff. Make sure the link is posted, and only a PORTION is shown, and quoted, as the forum could get in trouble for using it.

(Interested in this, by the by.)

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Speaking of the Ferrari 458, I saw, and heard, one in DC the other day, holy sh*t.

That thing is awesome, and the engine sounds really good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Many people are aware that without counter weights it is very hard to balance an engine, and a bigger flat plane, would be very difficult to do. I keep hearing people say it is impossible. Now those people are also forgetting that Ford managed to balance a 3 cylinder engine... If they can do that, I'm sure with a enough time and light enough rods and pistons, ford will be able to manage the task.
A cross plane crank 90* V8 can be counter weighted to achieve perfect primary and secondary balance. A flat plane crank 90* V8 will always have a natural secondary imbalance, regardless of counterweighting. The only way to eliminate this is the same as in a large displacement I4, with dual counter rotating balance shafts spinning at 2x the engine speed...Which would effectively neuter that whole low rotational inertia and high rpm advantage of the flat plane crank.

More specifically, if you think about a flat plane crank V8 as 2 I4's, the secondary imbalance is equal to 1.4x that of an I4 made from a single bank of said V8. So a 5.0L flat plane V8 would have a secondary imbalance 1.4x greater than a 2.5L I4 of the same design, which is to say not great. Lightweight components (compromising low cost) and a short stroke (compromising low end torque) are criticial to keeping the vibrations down, but there is still no defying the laws of physics.

Externally balancing a small displacement I3 enough to make it acceptably smooth was child's play compared to designing and manufacturing a low vibration, large displacement, and reasonably affordable flat plane crank V8.

...but will it be worth it financially for them? I don't know. The answer to that may lie in the Euro market. If Ford were to ever bring a V8 into the European market, this would definitely be the one to do it with.
All modern mass market V8's (American, European, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Russian, etc.) use cross plane cranks. This is not by accident or coincidence.

...Many Americans would also love the high revving; powerful motor...
Yes, and they're often referred to as "ricers" by torque loving 'Merican V8 drivers. ;)

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful copy and pasting internet stuff. Make sure the link is posted, and only a PORTION is shown, and quoted, as the forum could get in trouble for using it.

(Interested in this, by the by.)

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Sorry didn't know, I'll try and find the link, but in the meantime if the moderators feel the need to close it by all means.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so here are the links.

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1409_ford_shelby_mustang_gt350_to_get_5_2_liter_flat_plane_crank_v_8.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2015-ford-mustang-engines/

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not trying to be buzz Killington, but Ecomodder got some hate mail on it, wanna save the mods some trouble.

Sorry, I'm not following?! Ecomodder hate mail on what?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Sorry, I'm not following?! Ecomodder hate mail on what?

Users were copying and pasting articles. The host sites started threatening litigation if they did not delete the content off the ecomodder threads.

I do not want that to happen here. Make sense?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just listened to a bunch of the various GT350/GT500/Voodoo spy videos for the first time...Not surprisingly, they all sound just like it has a cross plane crank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems more likely that this new V8 will be restricted to low-volume specialty models rather than entirely replacing the Coyote. I guess time will tell.

The Coyote is a sweet engine, equivalent in refinement and performance to those in big buck German cars.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Offer it as an option for the GT!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just listened to a bunch of the various GT350/GT500/Voodoo spy videos for the first time...Not surprisingly, they all sound just like it has a cross plane crank.
The GT350 has been unveiled, and I appear to have been wrong. Without knowing more details about the engineering surrounding the flat plane crank, and whether or not they had to resort to balance shafts, I have to say I'm rather impressed that they seem to have pulled off this very difficult task...And am even pleased to be eating my words in regards to it.

Although I'm still trying to figure out what they did to make it sound not-at-all like a flat plane crank V8. Hell, a pushrod SBF or SBC with "180 degree" headers sounds more like a flat plane crank V8 than any videos of the GT350.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the days of using the same core motor for 20 years is over. EPA is coming down faster and harder, and the technology has to keep up with the standards.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Motors these days burn so clean it isn't even the EPA anymore, its MPG now which is a good thing IMO to get us the hell off foreign oil. Gas prices here are below $2.50/gal now for regular which I hope is in part because of how many fuel efficient vehicles are on the road now.

To this end, Ford has the Ecoboost and is phasing the V6 out. Most Mustangs sold from this point on are going to be 4 bangers and the V8 will get to leverage the efficiency of the 4 banger to balance out the still good high 20 mpg for the gov't requirements.

I honestly see the hopped up 15+ Coyote sticking around for awhile in the GT. GT350 is obviously getting the flat plane and a new GT500 could get an upgraded Trinity or a 6.2L Raptor engine that is even more worked. Not sure about the Mach and what it would get. A factory Whipple'd Coyote with some special Mach stuffs would probably satisfy most.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If they replace the coyote soon in the GTs..Ford would probably go back down to 4.6 Liters or less. Think about it the 5.2L version in the GT350 probably making 520+ hp. (100hp/liter) So if we got a slightly detuned 4.6L it would probably make around the current 435 hp. Simplier more efficient & lower displacement.... Exactly where the bean counters & environmentalist want it to go.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If they replace the coyote soon in the GTs..Ford would probably go back down to 4.6 Liters or less. Think about it the 5.2L version in the GT350 probably making 520+ hp. (100hp/liter) So if we got a slightly detuned 4.6L it would probably make around the current 435 hp. Simplier more efficient & lower displacement.... Exactly where the bean counters & environmentalist want it to go.
Personally I don't care how big an engine is, I car about output. A 3 cylinder 1.0 putting out 300 HP and still letting me get 40 MPG is fine with me. If they can make a 4.6, 5.2, or a 7.0 that allows power and FE, it doesn't bother me. If we can have our cake (power), and eat it too (FE), why not?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.