Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Personally I don't care how big an engine is, I car about output. A 3 cylinder 1.0 putting out 300 HP and still letting me get 40 MPG is fine with me. If they can make a 4.6, 5.2, or a 7.0 that allows power and FE, it doesn't bother me. If we can have our cake (power), and eat it too (FE), why not?

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

The only downside of a tiny motor would be the sound.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
I hope Ford never goes back to the 4.6.
It was a failure as a motor, even if there is better technology now I don't think anyone would be happy going back to the motor that let the F bodies win so easily.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I hope Ford never goes back to the 4.6.
It was a failure as a motor, even if there is better technology now I don't think anyone would be happy going back to the motor that let the F bodies win so easily.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
It was in no way a failure as a motor. It was a failure as a performance app in that you needed to do a LOT of work and a power adder to get it in the same ballpark as a bolt on F body. The 00R, Termi and Shelby motors are nasty but they're the snowflakes of the 4.6L run.

I always felt my old 95 Cobra was a much more capable street car than my 98GT ever was and that 98 had a PI with all the bolt ons etc... I could tap the gas in 2nd at 2000rpm with that Cobra and just annihilate the 295s out back. Would bog the motor if I tried that with the 2V lol.

Now as far as reliability and the fact that they were mass produced and cheaply put into basically everything Ford made... was a pure winner. Plenty of cabs and trucks that made it to the 250K+ mark no problem with just oil changes. Thing lasted from the early 90s to 2010.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My brother run a Lincoln town car to 500k with the 4.6 and never had problems with the motor. I think Ford went with the 5.0 to complete in the horsepower wars with GM and Dodge. Personally I don't care what the Camaro is putting out, it's a terrible design IMHO. The Challenger not to bad, but to big for my taste.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The only downside of a tiny motor would be the sound.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
Agreed. The ecoboost 4 in the Mustang is pathetic. Stock, it was a complete and total let down in my book. Otherwise, the car was fantastic.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have heard from a someone in the industry to expect a turbocharged V6 to begin to phase out the V8. I know in 2016 the new EPA requirements tighten up and they need to sell more fuel efficient cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's not that they need to sell more fuel efficient cars, they fleet wide average needs to meet a certain number. They'll have to sell a lot of focus's to sell a small number of v8 mustangs.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I have heard from a someone in the industry to expect a turbocharged V6 to begin to phase out the V8. I know in 2016 the new EPA requirements tighten up and they need to sell more fuel efficient cars.

If true then the 2016 release might be the last coyote which could shoot the 15/16 values through the roof. I honestly doubt they'll phase out the 8 tho.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not saying eliminated because he told us there would be V8 specialty models but to expect the base GT to be a turbo V6. Could be BS I don't know. So I guess we could expect a twin turbo King Cobra ricer edition soon...lol

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Well if its an updated version of the SHO motor then its going to be an absolute monster. Will still piss off the "purists" but expect a tune only 500whp capable engine IMO. Pair it with an 8 speed auto mmmmm

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
No doubt the power would be there the sound may be an issue

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
No doubt the power would be there the sound may be an issue

Honestly the 3.7 sixers sound pretty good (ask me how I know), nothing like a ricer beamer exhaust note. Put a pair of borla s types or even quad gt500s with shorty headers, and you have a sweet sounding ride!

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Yeah the Cyclones with a good exhaust setup sound surprisingly good but on the flipside, the idiots who do x pipes with SLPs or whatever sound like complete ass.

Whatever, even if they do phase out the Coyote after a 6 year run its going to be one of the most desirable motors out there and it could shoot the market for anything with one back up whereas right now its flooded with ppl trying to sell their 5.0 Mustangs for $20-$24k and not getting many bites. Its kind of sad seeing the classifieds in some of the bigger forums. If you have $20-$25k to spend you can get a RIDICULOUS ride if you are patient. Just saw a 2012 Lava Red M6 with a Roushcarger making 600whp and 30k something miles in mint condition sell for $25k.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
We might be getting an EcoBeast V6 replacing the V8 in the Mustangs in a few years!

Ford Trademarks EcoBeast Name, Possibly For 2016 Raptor - News - Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

I could see them trying the EcoBeast name & V8 swap to turbo 6 out on a low volume model first. The Raptor is a perfect place to test the waters and get some people on board. I'm looking forward to a hopefully 700 lb lighter Raptor with a better engine. The 6.2L was an inefficient gas guzzler.

And to all the "turbo" haters, look at the 911 Turbo (6 cylinder twin turbo). It has always been one of the fastest production cars in the world period. 0-60, 1/4 mile or road course.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Car & Driver would love ford to kill the V8. Then Camaro and Challenger keep pumping out V8's.

They won't kill the V8. They'll offer an SVT turbo V6 as a special edition.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I am all for smaller turbo engines. But if Ford eliminates the V8 as an option i will start looking elsewhere. You just don't get rid of a Mustang's heritage like that.
Watch them. They almost did it once, it was going to be the probe. If they do then expect used v8 values to go up.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Here is how I see the lineup looking: the base engine will be the ecoboost 4 the GT base engine will be a turbo v6 and the V8 will be available option for the GT.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Considering their competitors have much larger engines. If you consider a 5.7 hemi in the rt challenger a competitor (seen some badass 5.7Ls) that's the closest engine in terms of cu. ins. If they do replace it then they should bring back like a more modern version of the terminator 4.6 or maybe a brand new SMALLER V8. They've done this before... Mustang ii was a laughing stock. I'll admit I like the king cobra of 78 given the car would need a lot of mods before I'd get it. Personally I see nothing wrong with the coyote. But then again I have no say in MAKING THE WRONG DECISION! There's a saying ford... You can fix something that isn't broken! An ecoboost v6 is cool and all but don't make it a competitor to the coyote better yet put a supercharger on the coyote. Shorten the gap between the gt and gt500 not a lot but just a little. Maybe a 500+ hp coyote as a standard gt? Considering rumor has it the new gt500 is gonna have more hp than the hellcat.

Proud owner of:
1965 Chevrolet Impala SS pure original 327 300hp,360ftlbs Muncie 21 4spd, 12 bolt rear, mist blue white interior, 17in cragar thrust wheels, super 44 flow master mufflers. status: 98% restored

2008 Roush 427R #528 All stock except Roush billet grille, Roush CAI 460hp, 425ftlbs, 5spd vista blue white graphics black leather with blue inserts, stock Roush wheels and exhaust. Status: waiting for many many upgrades

70 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack 290hp factory rated (bull****) 4spd hemi Orange black interior rallye wheels, T/A exhaust. status: restoration in progress

75 MGB convertible 1.8L 90hp, of pure evil, 4spd Mars red (VW color) black top black interior wire wheels. Status: restored and for sale

Hunting for a black 03 terminator 10th anniversary coupe

21 - 40 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.