Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The new 2016 EPA fuel economy averages are what is going to initiate the changes and GM and Chrysler will have to comply as well. There will still be a V8 mustang but the new turbocharged V6 will be the standard performance engine and the V8 will be reserved for special optioned cars. From what I have heard the new turbo v6 is going to be impressive! We will just have to wait and see maybe the falling gas prices will delay things.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
The current turbo V6 is impressive and has been out for a good 6 years now, plenty of time for the SHO guys to break them in and find out what works and what melts pistons. Again, for us enthusiasts, is usually going to be V8 or bust although the Cyclone really made a lot of ppl rethink V6 Mustangs myself included. If they keep the V8 option... well its all good, maybe it'll even be a hopped up V8 because they turbo 6 is going to put out similar numbers to the current Coyote and probably be faster honestly with more torque. IMO it will HAVE to be closer to 500rwhp to keep well out in front of the V6 and compete with the LT1. If the LT1 is everything it is rumored to be... I dunno. Call me a heretic but if the Alpha platform sheds weight, there is a 1LE option, and the LT1 is the same LT1 as is in the C7... yeah...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-redefines-innovation-aerodynamics-ecoboost-143000174.html;_ylt=A0SO8wQnJLRUmQEAcqZXNyoA

Why keep around a V8 when you have a twin turbo V6 with 600hp?

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-revealed-ecoboost-v-160005177.html

Fuel economy standards are going to require lightening AND displacement reductions. We are seeing them across the board.... even in the performance "high end" cars (or trucks).

2015 Raptor 6.2L vs 2017 Raptor ecoboost 3.5L V6 + 500 lbs lighter.

= down 2.7 liters in displacement and 500 lbs lighter

The new Raptor is powered by a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, coupled to a 10-speed automatic transmission. This marks the first use of the long-anticipated 10-speeder Ford and General Motors Company [NYSE:GM] have been developing for trucks. It may eventually find its way into the Mustang as well.

As for the V-6, Ford says it will produce more power than the outgoing Raptor's 6.2-liter V-8, which is rated at 411 horsepower and 434 pound-feet of torque. It will also have less weight to push around, thanks to the new F-150's aluminum body. Ford says it cuts 500 pounds over the previous Raptor.

·
Registered
351 Posts
There will be more performance in the EcoBoost engines, but Ford will not totally do away with the V8. What will happen will depend on political issues. If the next few elections are won by ecology freaks with little understanding of engineering, we could wind up with electric drive bicycles. If the Feds realize the turbo engines can be tune to fool the tests, they may make them worthless. That is why all manufacturers will constantly be trying ways to make more efficient drive trains. In all practicality, hybrid engines will be the future, IMHO. Gas mileage is killed by stop and go traffic, so if they can run the gas engines only at peak efficiency, and use electric drives for worse case conditions, it would greatly improve mpg. On the Mustangs, they may just get by with engine stop systems when not moving.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I think our reasoning to the stop/go problem is the smaller engine, less GPH when idling. The US doesn't give any ranking to stop start, two identical cars one with stop start, one without, will have the same EPA rating.

Also, thank you for teaching me something. I have never heard ecology used outside of biology.

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
No, full electric is the future. Tesla has already got the charge range up near the 300 mile mark for vehicles they are currently selling right now and have stations all up and down both coasts. Its only going to get better and cheaper from here on out.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No it isn't

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
No it isn't

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Why not? It won't replace long distance hauling diesels but for the average dude who commutes. Damn skippy it is.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
13 Posts
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-redefines-innovation-aerodynamics-ecoboost-143000174.html;_ylt=A0SO8wQnJLRUmQEAcqZXNyoA

Why keep around a V8 when you have a twin turbo V6 with 600hp?

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-revealed-ecoboost-v-160005177.html

Fuel economy standards are going to require lightening AND displacement reductions. We are seeing them across the board.... even in the performance "high end" cars (or trucks).

2015 Raptor 6.2L vs 2017 Raptor ecoboost 3.5L V6 + 500 lbs lighter.

= down 2.7 liters in displacement and 500 lbs lighter
Yes, between the GT and the Raptor it's clear that Ford is focusing on a turbo V6 for future high performance applications. What's not clear to me: is the new turbo 3.5 related to the current one, to the new 2.7, or all-new?

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
The turbo 6 is already going in the Expy, the Navi and the F150 in 2015 with fake V8 sounds from the speakers and all for yuppies and dip****s. I could totally see the Mustang going this way shortly with a V8 option for the special editions. It'll be much faster too. The train is coming, you can either get on and enjoy the ride or get run the **** over.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The turbo 6 is already going in the Expy, the Navi and the F150 in 2015 with fake V8 sounds from the speakers and all for yuppies and dip****s. I could totally see the Mustang going this way shortly with a V8 option for the special editions. It'll be much faster too. The train is coming, you can either get on and enjoy the ride or get run the **** over.

Can we at least choose between different fake engine sounds? lol this is such a sign of the times! Idiots everywhere nowadays so I guess the next aftermarket will be different motor sounds you can load to your car!

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I wonder if the new 2017 Ford GT, yes its coming with a 600 + hp 3.5 V6 Eco with no V8, will have V8 sounds lol. Don't think so. V8s are going the way of the dinosaur, even in their super/hyper car. I think we all better get used to the sound of a V6 being the dominant engine choice in fords performance cars.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
I wonder if the new 2017 Ford GT, yes its coming with a 3.5 V6 Eco with no V8, will have V8 sounds lol. Don't think so. V8s are going the way of the dinosaur. 600hp + from a 3.5!!! I think we all better just get used to the sound of a V6 being the dominant engine in fords performance cars.

If they manage to get their v6 to sound like my dads Porsche then I'm all for it. Haven't heard any v8 sound better than that car. Then again it sounds like and evil classic muscle car.

After all is said and done, more is said than done...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I wonder if the new 2017 Ford GT, yes its coming with a 600 + hp 3.5 V6 Eco with no V8, will have V8 sounds lol. Don't think so. V8s are going the way of the dinosaur, even in their super/hyper car. I think we all better get used to the sound of a V6 being the dominant engine choice in fords performance cars.

I currently have enough V-8 powered vehicles to get me through for a long while....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

This was a marketing stunt for Ford. They are trying to promote their Eco Boost line. What better way, than to put in a high performance model. The GT isn't a regular production car like a vette. They will offer a limited number and almost all will end up with collectors.
Why would they spend all the engineering costs developing the flat crank 5.2?
Ford wants to sell ecoboost F-150's and keep their status of most truck sales as well as push the turbo 4 mustangs and phase out the V6 option on it.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
They definitely could do a real small V8 to keep the "rumble". Even like a 3.4L would sound good. Don't believe me, listen to a 3rd gen SHO Taurus (yes a Taurus). They had Ford/Yamaha 3.4L V8s in them.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Is a sub 4.0 8 better than a 6?

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I think you could make it work. But it would have to redline at 10k or better.

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
This was a marketing stunt for Ford. They are trying to promote their Eco Boost line. What better way, than to put in a high performance model. The GT isn't a regular production car like a vette. They will offer a limited number and almost all will end up with collectors.
Why would they spend all the engineering costs developing the flat crank 5.2?
Ford wants to sell ecoboost F-150's and keep their status of most truck sales as well as push the turbo 4 mustangs and phase out the V6 option on it.

I think you're right. I don't see the V8 going anywhere anytime soon.

I am also going to guess the majority of F150 buyers don't use the full capabilities of the truck everyday, so an Ecoboost engine makes perfect sense. One can also opt for the V8 in the truck if they want it.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.