Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I think you could make it work. But it would have to redline at 10k or better.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.
Nah, would just need to be turbo'd just like the 6 is. But that would be completely dumb for Ford to do from a manufacturing standpoint seeing as the 3.5L Eco will make a metric assload of power. I'd say if they left the 5.0 as an option then you'd only want it with the Manual trans option. For the rumored 8 or 10 speed automatics... the turbo is going to rule.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
I'm all for a sub 4.0L V8. That's like what McLaren put into the 12c, which works very well. The 458s 4.5L V8 Redlines at 9k so it very well is doable.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Alfa Romeos 2.0L v8 revs to 11,000 so maybe something that small.

After all is said and done, more is said than done...

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Well I hope you guys are right, I'd always like to see a V8 option, hell I remember in the late 80s early 90s ford offered quite a few V8 optioned cars,and now?! It seems fords direction is headed towards turbo this and turbo that with smaller displacement that produce boat loads of power. Whether you want to call it a "marketing stunt" or not, its clearly reality and to honesty say V8s have a bright future is really incorrect. The last 20 or so years is proof enough that the V8 is fading away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Motors these days burn so clean it isn't even the EPA anymore, its MPG now which is a good thing IMO to get us the hell off foreign oil. Gas prices here are below $2.50/gal now for regular which I hope is in part because of how many fuel efficient vehicles are on the road now.

To this end, Ford has the Ecoboost and is phasing the V6 out. Most Mustangs sold from this point on are going to be 4 bangers and the V8 will get to leverage the efficiency of the 4 banger to balance out the still good high 20 mpg for the gov't requirements.

I honestly see the hopped up 15+ Coyote sticking around for awhile in the GT. GT350 is obviously getting the flat plane and a new GT500 could get an upgraded Trinity or a 6.2L Raptor engine that is even more worked. Not sure about the Mach and what it would get. A factory Whipple'd Coyote with some special Mach stuffs would probably satisfy most.
It's actually the opposite. Foreign oil is lowering prices to attempt to destroy the shale business in the US. Then it should head back up.

And for the rice slinging crowd, here you go.
http://youtu.be/_oUWCzPDEMY

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
It's actually the opposite. Foreign oil is lowering prices to attempt to destroy the shale business in the US. Then it should head back up.

And for the rice slinging crowd, here you go.
http://youtu.be/_oUWCzPDEMY
The lower fuel prices have a lot to do with Russian sanctions that rely heavily on their fuel exports. It won't last forever though but its a nice break.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Higher MPG's don't have much to do with the price of oil. As mentioned previously, OPEC is driving the price down to kill U.S. Production. They are hurting and know most companies lose money when oil is below $60-$70/ barrel.
As soon as most drilling here stops and companies go bust, the price will go back up. It might take a year, but OPEC will try to keep it less than $80 and never over $100.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but using actual facts (some people just scream 8 cilinderz r bettr!!! ), why would one choose a 6 as an engine to build over an 8? I mean,my guess is having more cylinders means more friction (cylinders firing), so a 6 has less when operating.

Again, I am not an engine guy- just trying to learn here.

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Higher MPG's don't have much to do with the price of oil. As mentioned previously, OPEC is driving the price down to kill U.S. Production. They are hurting and know most companies lose money when oil is below $60-$70/ barrel.
As soon as most drilling here stops and companies go bust, the price will go back up. It might take a year, but OPEC will try to keep it less than $80 and never over $100.
Yep. OPEC (Saudi Arabia specifically) wants to stop the Shale oil expansion. Shale extraction costs $90+-/barrel so nearly all new drilling will stop at current prices. They'll probably try to keep oil right around $90/barrel, just below the cost of Shale oil to prevent it from cranking up.

Speaking of Ecoboosts engines, etc.. I have the 3.5L ecoboost engine in my F-150 and its like a fart.... silent but deadly!! :p: I just tuned it with a Diablo tuner, and it adds +50hp on 87 octane or +90hp on 93 octane.

Its weird, you barely notice the tune, b/c the engine & exhaust are so quiet.

Its like I hit the gas & all of the sudden I'm going 60mph, where before in that same amount of time I'd have probably been at like 40+mph.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
My wife's 2014 1.5 Eco fusion is great for a fairly large car by today's standards, its no race car but fully loaded with 3 adults and 2 kids with 2 hockey bags, it has absolutely no problems passing cars while getting fantastic Mpgs.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Honestly though if I going to drive a 4 banger I at least want to take advantage of the HP/weight ratio. I'd rather have a F/I Focus than an Ecoboost Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Honestly though if I going to drive a 4 banger I at least want to take advantage of the HP/weight ratio. I'd rather have a F/I Focus than an Ecoboost Mustang.

?
The Mustang is 1k more, has 52 more horsepower and 50 more torques (at same RPMs), and only weighs 300 lbs more.

Less than 10% more weight, more than 10% more horsepower. I'd take the Mustang.

Source: http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USC50FOC301A0,USC50FOC051B0

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
?
The Mustang is 1k more, has 52 more horsepower and 50 more torques (at same RPMs), and only weighs 300 lbs more.

Less than 10% more weight, more than 10% more horsepower. I'd take the Mustang.

Source: http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USC50FOC301A0,USC50FOC051B0

Have you driven the ecoboost 4? If you haven't you need to. The one I drove felt like a old Volkswagen. Engine was thrashy and did not feel like 300hp.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Have you driven the ecoboost 4? If you haven't you need to. The one I drove felt like a old Volkswagen. Engine was thrashy and did not feel like 300hp.

Yes. Engine was fine to me, the disturbing part was the slush box between the front seats. That automatic is just tragic. Last gen, 11-14, Ford said there was no paddle option because they couldn't get it up to their standards. If this is acceptable to them, I can not fathom what the last one was like. Other than that, the 4 (and car as a whole) ranged from acceptable to excellent. The exhaust was non existent, my .996 three cylinder Insights have a louder exhaust (not really, they are about the same- I just like saying that).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes. Engine was fine to me, the disturbing part was the slush box between the front seats. That automatic is just tragic. Last gen, 11-14, Ford said there was no paddle option because they couldn't get it up to their standards. If this is acceptable to them, I can not fathom what the last one was like. Other than that, the 4 (and car as a whole) ranged from acceptable to excellent. The exhaust was non existent, my .996 three cylinder Insights have a louder exhaust (not really, they are about the same- I just like saying that).

Yeah the transmission was horrible as well. I did like the GT though but I'm going to wait until the Mach 1 comes out before I consider getting one.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)

Its still that bad? I thought they would have tried to fix it this time around. Before I bought my 13 manual I took out a 13 auto and thought the slush box shifted really laggy and remembering leaving the dealer quite disappointed about the transmissions performance. All the auto guys say a tune helped fix the problem, hopefully this holds true to the 15s also.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Its still that bad? I thought they would have tried to fix it this time around. Before I bought my 13 manual I took out a 13 auto and thought the slush box shifted really laggy and remembering leaving the dealer quite disappointed about the transmissions performance. All the auto guys say a tune helped fix the problem, hopefully this holds true to the 15s also.

Honestly, it is like watching a 10 year old play Gran Turismo with the car set to manual.

Let me clarify- I had no issue with the auto transmission. I think lowly of them. In my opinion, it is for someone who A) buys it for the dragstrip, B) doesn't care about driving and just bought a car, or C) has a situation that limits driving a manual. To be clear, I don't think less of any of those people- I just have low expectations of the auto.

So shifting, and driving, it had no issue. It didn't clunk, make weird noises, or do anything strange. What was TERRIBLE was the paddle shifting. [Before knowing what a tune will do to it ] I think it would be better off without the paddles. It is slow, doesn't do what I want anywhere around the time I want it to do it, and has no real settings. Now I completely get the fact that it has to be made for stupid people. In a mass produced car, they are catering to people who have 25k. Not to people who are buying a McLaren, or Porsche, who should have some sense of what to do. So I get more strict limits.

However, the Buick Regal Turbo I drove (auto), was exceptional. Still issues, like it wouldn't go under 1300 RPMs, and if it wasn't 100% full throttle it would shift up early, but it was faster, more lively and brisk. I've never driven an F1 derived system, but the shifts were swift, and one could feel it grabbing. The Mustang, not so much.

Me: *pull paddle*
Mustang: huh? Did you say some- oh, shift, hold on...*gentle shifting*
Me: are you %-$-$-$+$-#&"63;$9 me!

I was very quickly very angry. I still tried to use it, but it was like your relative with an unruly dog. You can deal with going to walk it a few times while they are on holiday, but living with such a stupid beast may give you a brain aneurism.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Honestly, it is like watching a 10 year old play Gran Turismo with the car set to manual.

Let me clarify- I had no issue with the auto transmission. I think lowly of them. In my opinion, it is for someone who A) buys it for the dragstrip, B) doesn't care about driving and just bought a car, or C) has a situation that limits driving a manual. To be clear, I don't think less of any of those people- I just have low expectations of the auto.

So shifting, and driving, it had no issue. It didn't clunk, make weird noises, or do anything strange. What was TERRIBLE was the paddle shifting. [Before knowing what a tune will do to it ] I think it would be better off without the paddles. It is slow, doesn't do what I want anywhere around the time I want it to do it, and has no real settings. Now I completely get the fact that it has to be made for stupid people. In a mass produced car, they are catering to people who have 25k. Not to people who are buying a McLaren, or Porsche, who should have some sense of what to do. So I get more strict limits.

However, the Buick Regal Turbo I drove (auto), was exceptional. Still issues, like it wouldn't go under 1300 RPMs, and if it wasn't 100% full throttle it would shift up early, but it was faster, more lively and brisk. I've never driven an F1 derived system, but the shifts were swift, and one could feel it grabbing. The Mustang, not so much.

Me: *pull paddle*
Mustang: huh? Did you say some- oh, shift, hold on...*gentle shifting*
Me: are you %-$-$-$+$-#&"63;$9 me!

I was very quickly very angry. I still tried to use it, but it was like your relative with an unruly dog. You can deal with going to walk it a few times while they are on holiday, but living with such a stupid beast may give you a brain aneurism.

+1, select shift was laggy in the 13 auto also which is kinda like having paddle shifters. Ford makes a very good auto, but I'd like to see the shifts a little firmer, but I realise they tune it for the masses and not for the track.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts

A tune is the only way to go for the automatic. The factory shifts in the auto are sucky. Its a whole different car tuned.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.