Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen tons of posts about the Barton Short throw shifter and the MGW but I haven't seen anything on the Ford Racing short throw shifter. Does anyone have any info on the Ford Racing Short throw shifter?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think the price is what turns everybody off from it, looks exactly like a Barton clone... This shifter will probably never sell if its this expensive, for that u can get the complete MGW setup for cheaper and know your getting a solid product. I personally have the Barton shifter, with no complaints at all... If I could do all over again, I would've gotten the MGW setup since its been praised by many.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm curious about this to. I was definitely leaning toward an MGW short throw but I don't have a lift or ramps and would have the dealership install it. With that said I was thinking it may void my warranty unless its a ford racing short throw? Any advice?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,488 Posts
It will only void your warranty if the dealer can prove that your modification caused part failure. With that said, some dealers will say or do anything they can to "prove" this.

I have an MGW and it's fantastic. I'm pretty sure the FRPP short shifter is the Barton, just a different color and logo

·
Registered
358 Posts
It will only void your warranty if the dealer can prove that your modification caused part failure. With that said, some dealers will say or do anything they can to "prove" this.

I have an MGW and it's fantastic. I'm pretty sure the FRPP short shifter is the Barton, just a different color and logo
Ill talk to the dealer and see what he says. If he says ill be fine with the warranty if I go with the ford racing short throw then that's the route ill go, spending a little more coin for a piece of mind. If he says it will void my warranty regardless, ill go MGW. Does the ford racing have the reverse lock out still?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,488 Posts
I can't say for sure, but anyone making shifters for an MT82 would be stupid to not have the reverse lockout

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't say for sure, but anyone making shifters for an MT82 would be stupid to not have the reverse lockout
Just checked. It still retains the reverse lock out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have you guys noticed a big difference in the short through over stock? I just got my 2012 GT and it has the smoothest shift on any stock car I have ever driven. Plus my GT came with the factory billet shiftier, which I like a lot.
Do you still have that smooth transition when shifting with the ST or is it stiff like the 05-09 stangs?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Have you guys noticed a big difference in the short through over stock? I just got my 2012 GT and it has the smoothest shift on any stock car I have ever driven. Plus my GT came with the factory billet shiftier, which I like a lot.
Do you still have that smooth transition when shifting with the ST or is it stiff like the 05-09 stangs?
The biggest problem is not so much the shortness of the gears, its fairly short from factory... The rubber bushing that holds the shifter is the biggest problem, under spirited high rpm shifting there's deflection from the rubber shift bracket which causes u to miss shifts... I changed both the shifter and bracket and notice a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Grab the shifter when it is in a gear and push back and forth it wiggles a lot. The after market shifters won't have this much play. Less chance of missing a gear because of this.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know in the photos it looks just like the Barton but just seeing if anyone has any first hand experience with it compared to other shifters.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know in the photos it looks just like the Barton but just seeing if anyone has any first hand experience with it compared to other shifters.
I would like to no this to

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've ordered the ford racing hurst shifter, a little more expensive but you avoid any warranty issues, 2-3'shifting on my gt is really tough above 5000 rpm, I've heard this is common problem on these trannys

·
Registered
515 Posts
The FRPP shifter is a rebranded Barton shifter. Talked to barton about this and they confirmed. Levittown ford has them for 412 plus shipping, I know a company where they're pricing is around the same :)
I don't think there is a Ford racing Hurst shifter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are probably right , in the front of the 2013 ford racing cat they reference hurst but on the 2013 later in the catalog they do not

·
Registered
358 Posts
The FRPP shifter is a rebranded Barton shifter. Talked to barton about this and they confirmed. Levittown ford has them for 412 plus shipping, I know a company where they're pricing is around the same :)
I don't think there is a Ford racing Hurst shifter.
Great. Thanks for the info. I heard great things about the Barton shifter. So if it means going frpp shifter to keep my warranty so be it. If its going to be voided regardless MGW here I come.

·
Registered
753 Posts
So I just watched some videos on installation of short through shifters and the stock components are CRAP! Looked like a big hunk of rubber and stamped piece of tin...

·
The Blue Dragon
5,488 Posts
^ you are absolutely correct, the Barton 2 post bracket worked wonders, but my MGW is even better with a shorter throw and wayyyy less nvh

1 - 20 of 44 Posts