Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Ford engineers and bean counters,
Quit fooling around and put the 3.5 EcoBoost in the GT Mustang. It is by far the most advanced bang-for-the-buck engine in your entire lineup. I know the version you would put into the GT would not match this:

https://www.motor1.com/news/263722/ford-gt-corvette-zr1-drag/

However, I know you could put the same one as in the Raptor in the GT, and you would end up easily embarrassing the Camaro and Challenger with an engine you already have paid the R and R costs for. Lighter front end, better steering response, better cornering, higher mpg —- what in heck are you waiting for? If you can sell 70% of your F150 to fan boys without a V8, Mustang officianadoes will as quickly adapt to the GT NOT being a V8 — especially after driving a 3.5 with a torque curve all in at only 1,900 rpm. 500 lb/ft ofTorque? No waiting until 4,800 rpm like in the V8.......I want one, and the 3.5 would be the ONLY reason I would ever trade in my 5.0 GT.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If they do this I’d prefer them to call it a SVO instead of putting it in the GT.
I am not sure that they would sell very many GT’s if the 3.5TT was so much faster and better handling than the 5.0......but they can call it whatever they want. You know the V8’s days are numbered anyway, and with Ford abandoning sedans, they are going to need all of the CAFE credits they can generate.
Heck, there’s even rumors of rumors that the 2020 Mustang is going to be a hybrid...how about 40 mpg and 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat? I’d take that too, as long as it is not based on the 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
Meh :nonono:

I think I'll just stick with buying older Mustangs and let other peeps buy the new stuff that will be coming out in the next 5 - 10 years. I'm just not into 4 or 6 cylinder turbos. I guess I'm a dinosaur lol. Besides, the price tags for new cars in the this category have gotten ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Both of those cars in that video are such disappointments.

The new ZR1 is the slowest car to ever have 700+ hp. The new GT is just over-hyped and overpriced.

That said, the 3.5TT or even the F150's 2.7TT in the Mustang would be awesome. I wish they would stop pushing that junk 2.3 EB and just use the 2.7TT as the base engine. However, in doing that, I'm certain with just a few simple mods, that 2.7TT would be defecating all over the new 5.0.

Which brings me to the issue I have with the Coyote and Voodoo engines.. as Guard said, with the V8 you have to rev it out for the power to come on. That kinda defeats the point of having a V8, at least for me. I want big V8 torque from idle to redline. If I wanted my power to come on like a VTECH 4 cylinder, I would buy a Honda. Why in the hell does Ford offer a 5.0 V8 that makes less power from 1,500 - 3,000 rpm than the base Mustangs 2.3L turbo 4?

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
I am not sure that they would sell very many GT’s if the 3.5TT was so much faster and better handling than the 5.0......but they can call it whatever they want. You know the V8’s days are numbered anyway, and with Ford abandoning sedans, they are going to need all of the CAFE credits they can generate.
Heck, there’s even rumors of rumors that the 2020 Mustang is going to be a hybrid...how about 40 mpg and 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat? I’d take that too, as long as it is not based on the 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine.
You’ll always have a market for a V8 Mustang, as there are certain buyers that won’t buy anything less than eight cylinders. Regardless of if there’s a TT 6 banger that’s better. An SVO model would be a good excuse to drop the TTV6 in, it would be just like the old fox model. I’m not against it being in the GT, but I’d prefer it be its own special model like an SVO.

I think I'll just stick with buying older Mustangs and let other peeps buy the new stuff that will be coming out in the next 5 - 10 years. I'm just not into 4 or 6 cylinder turbos. I guess I'm a dinosaur lol. Besides, the price tags for new cars in the this category have gotten ridiculous.
I agree with the buying older Mustangs. There’s so many good models from numerous generations that can be had for very reasonable prices. About the only brand new Mustang I have any interest in owning is the Bullitt, with GT350 goodies added to it later on. But driving several turbo 911’s I can say a Turbo 6 can be a hella lot of fun. And yes the prices of the new mustangs are becoming idiotically priced.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You’ll always have a market for a V8 Mustang, as there are certain buyers that won’t buy anything less than eight cylinders.
People said the same thing when Ford put the 3.5 TT in the F150, and now the vast majority of Ford trucks are NOT V8’s......yes, their might be some wailing and knashing of teeth if Ford dropped the 5.0. But over 75% of F150’s sold now are NOT V8’s. Heck, even the itty bitty 2.7 TT (c’mon, it’s less than 165 cubic inches!!) gives the 5.0 1/2 ton a run for its money, and can out-tow it.

Have you ever driven the 3.5 TT? I’ve had two F150’s with that engine, and other than being a towing MONSTER (towing 9,000 pounds like it wasn’t even there —- even uphill!!), it was some kind of fun to floor it off the line. By the middle of the intersection, the turbines were fully spooled, and the revs would climb past 1,900. That is where 95% of the torque is all in, and the rear tires would start to haze — all the rest of the way through 1st and the first couple of lengths in second gear. And this was in a nearly 3 ton truck!!! Can you imagine how much fun that would be in a 3,200 pound Mustang?

·
Super Moderator
17,884 Posts

2011/2012 auto Gen 1 Coyote with exhaust, suspension and tune is definitely probably the best bang for your buck out there and they are CHEAP. Lots of garage queens out there now and in years to come.

The new ZR1 is the slowest car to ever have 700+ hp. The new GT is just over-hyped and overpriced.

That said, the 3.5TT or even the F150's 2.7TT in the Mustang would be awesome. I wish they would stop pushing that junk 2.3 EB and just use the 2.7TT as the base engine. However, in doing that, I'm certain with just a few simple mods, that 2.7TT would be defecating all over the new 5.0.

Which brings me to the issue I have with the Coyote and Voodoo engines.. as Guard said, with the V8 you have to rev it out for the power to come on. That kinda defeats the point of having a V8, at least for me. I want big V8 torque from idle to redline. If I wanted my power to come on like a VTECH 4 cylinder, I would buy a Honda. Why in the hell does Ford offer a 5.0 V8 that makes less power from 1,500 - 3,000 rpm than the base Mustangs 2.3L turbo 4?
Well... the 10 speed auto helps the 5.0 get its *** in gear and they have been running STUPID fast at the track. But yes for sure.

You’ll always have a market for a V8 Mustang, as there are certain buyers that won’t buy anything less than eight cylinders.
People said the same thing when Ford put the 3.5 TT in the F150, and now the vast majority of Ford trucks are NOT V8’s......yes, their might be some wailing and knashing of teeth if Ford dropped the 5.0. But over 75% of F150’s sold now are NOT V8’s. Heck, even the itty bitty 2.7 TT (c’mon, it’s less than 165 cubic inches!!) gives the 5.0 1/2 ton a run for its money, and can out-tow it.

Have you ever driven the 3.5 TT? I’ve had two F150’s with that engine, and other than being a towing MONSTER (towing 9,000 pounds like it wasn’t even there —- even uphill!!), it was some kind of fun to floor it off the line. By the middle of the intersection, the turbines were fully spooled, and the revs would climb past 1,900. That is where 95% of the torque is all in, and the rear tires would start to haze — all the rest of the way through 1st and the first couple of lengths in second gear. And this was in a nearly 3 ton truck!!! Can you imagine how much fun that would be in a 3,200 pound Mustang?
TBTH if I was going to spend the money on a new "sports car" from Ford I would have to take a real... REAL hard look at a shortbed, shortcab 3.5TT F150 vs a Mustang if you can get them that way. Lower it a bit with some sticky tires and few mods and there is a complete monster that can also tow and move big stuff around when you need it to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
the turbines were fully spooled
What do you have to do to a 3.5 TT to match a 5.0 @ only 10 PSI.
Displacement, apples to apples, means reliability.
Imagine a 5.0 TT with turbos sized like ford does with the eco's.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
TBTH if I was going to spend the money on a new "sports car" from Ford I would have to take a real... REAL hard look at a shortbed, shortcab 3.5TT F150 vs a Mustang if you can get them that way. Lower it a bit with some sticky tires and few mods and there is a complete monster that can also tow and move big stuff around when you need it to.
You currently cannot get a regular cab short bed F150 equipped with a 3.5 Ecoboost. But a 2018 powered by a Coyote engine will run low 13's right off of the showroom floor! That's quicker than the Lightning! It will probably break into the 12's with a simple tune and some stickier tires.

·
Registered
502 Posts
AWD will make the Mustang faster and drivable here in PA. for all seasons. I think it would be a great option that I would seriously consider.

·
Super Moderator
17,884 Posts
AWD will make the Mustang faster and drivable here in PA. for all seasons. I think it would be a great option that I would seriously consider.
That's the Focus RS man... except the rear ends keep blowing up... so get a STI. Or hell get a Fusion Sport. Fusion sport is the 3.5TT I THINK... I know its a TT V6 with AWD. There are better intercooler/piping kits out for it now and tuners have a good handle on them. They are pretty goddamn fast.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Fusion sport is the 2.7 TT...but it’s still a rocket according to the road tests I’ve read......

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you have to do to a 3.5 TT to match a 5.0 @ only 10 PSI.
Displacement, apples to apples, means reliability.
Imagine a 5.0 TT with turbos sized like ford does with the eco's.
Yes, the 3.5 makes a lot of power for such a small engine, but I’ve heard nothing bad about its reliability and there are millions of that engine running around right now. If the 3.5 is good enough for the $500,000 Ford GT, it ought to be good enough for the Mustang!:thumb:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not saying that the 3.5 EcoBoost that they now put in the Ford trucks would not be a great engine in the Mustang It's just that I love the sound of my 2018 Mustang GT even with the stock exhaust. I'm just not a fan of small displacement engines, the 5.0 is too small in my book and I think Ford should come out with a 429 again; that's the only thing that would get me to trade my 5.0 for another engine. OK, perhaps a 351would be acceptable also. I miss the old days when you could by a 6 cylinder, a mid-size V8 or a big-*** V8 in a Mustang. I like my torque to come via an engine with a lot of cubic inches and will never accept a motor running on electricity in my Mustang if I have a choice.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

how is the GT over priced ? over hyped ? they can be had for $32,000 , they run low ,low 12's , I have a friend with one , with stickies and a tune turning 11.40's ………….. that my friend is bad a**

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's the Focus RS man... except the rear ends keep blowing up... so get a STI. Or hell get a Fusion Sport. Fusion sport is the 3.5TT I THINK... I know its a TT V6 with AWD. There are better intercooler/piping kits out for it now and tuners have a good handle on them. They are pretty goddamn fast.
I have one as a DD (it is the 2.7 BTW). With a tune they are 12.8 to 13.1. Sometimes hard to launch, as they get front wheel hop. Fastest I've seen so far is a 12.52 I think. PTU's are still suspect much beyond low 12's, heck they don't even hold a quart of fluid.

Yes, the 3.5 makes a lot of power for such a small engine, but I’ve heard nothing bad about its reliability and there are millions of that engine running around right now. If the 3.5 is good enough for the $500,000 Ford GT, it ought to be good enough for the Mustang!:thumb:
Newer 5.0's are good for 700 WHP pretty reliably, the only way you get that in a 3.5 is to spend that half a million.

how is the GT over priced ? over hyped ? they can be had for $32,000 , they run low ,low 12's , I have a friend with one , with stickies and a tune turning 11.40's ………….. that my friend is bad a**
Crazy how fast those things are going NA. No question any TT engine is not going to be even close in long term reliability.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts